Toughest climbs in Cape Town?

grant10

We climbed up to the dams up near Constantia nek, from the Constantia side.

Please make sure you are allowed to ride there.

If my (slightly old) information is correct, then this road is out of bounds for MTBs. I know a fellow hubber who is involved in negotiations with SANPARKS re. MTB trails. Unauthorized access is one of the most serious stumbleblocks he faces in trying to get more and better trails opened to us. So, please make sure you are allowed to ride there, otherwise, don't do it. In the longer run, it will spoil our relationship with the biggest landowner in the peninsula, SANPARKS. And it may well get us kicked out of the one place we all want to ride - Table mountain (including Tokai, Silvermine, Rhodes Memorial, Deer Park & Signal Hill.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5.1km long with a 469m gain in altitude. That is proper.

10.8 % is sure a climb.

Unauthorized access is one of the most serious stumbleblocks

Um, us climbers, especially us free climbers, have faced this from the start. Even more so, cause we climb up buildings.

Access is the key, hikers and climbers know this, maybe follow their lead?

If my (slightly old) information is correct, then this road is out of bounds for MTBs. I know a fellow hubber who is involved in negotiations with SANPARKS re. MTB trails. Unauthorized access is one of the most serious stumbleblocks he faces in trying to get more and better trails opened to us. So, please make sure you are allowed to ride there, otherwise, don't do it. In the longer run, it will spoil our relationship with the biggest landowner in the peninsula, SANPARKS. And it may well get us kicked out of the one place we all want to ride - Table mountain (including Tokai, Silvermine, Rhodes Memorial, Deer Park & Signal Hill.

Absolutely not allowed to ride there, one of the areas the Nature people watch, and use against the guys and girls working hard to get more access on Table Mountain.

go ride Swartberg pass on your mtb total 27km long @ 9 to 13%

Now Swartberg is a pass!!! Especially from the Prince Albert side

• 3 weeks later...

Now Swartberg is a pass!!! Especially from the Prince Albert side

Will be in Prince Albert next month some time. Is that 27k's of Swartbergpas to the top? I presume so... Is an over and back a doable option?

Don't know the pass at all, so don't want to find myself descended on the other side and wanting to phone the missus with a red face... :blink:

Then again, nothing like a bit of a break and soldier on upwards again... not as if it's gonna be a race.

What's that hill of the 99er? Vissershok or something, where people fall off their bikes?

Where does one start this Tokai mast ride from? I think I need to try it on my road bike too ... (I promise to follow the arrows).

Not sure about Visserhoek, but you can't do the Mast on a road bike as you have roughly 5km of uphill gravel jeep track to get to the tarred section. It's been done on a roadbike I hear, but I assume it was a cyclocross bike or had special tyres...

Absolutely not allowed to ride there, one of the areas the Nature people watch, and use against the guys and girls working hard to get more access on Table Mountain.

That is a hell of a climb, not as long as the mast, but there is a concrete section about 400m long that is close to 25%. It's pretty hard to turn the pedals at that point, but you kind of worry about falling off the mountain if you don't.

I've not noticed any signs saying no mountain biking?

Not sure about Visserhoek, but you can't do the Mast on a road bike as you have roughly 5km of uphill gravel jeep track to get to the tarred section. It's been done on a roadbike I hear, but I assume it was a cyclocross bike or had special tyres...

Nope, Easton clinchers, no special tyres. Mr Lill doesn't weigh much though.

But the one with the best name is the KATBAKKIES PASS between the Koue Bokkeveld and the Tankwa Karoo (Ceres area)

That is pass and a half - driven it a few times in my life. LOOOOONG climb if I remember correctly.

Did Du Toit's pass yesterday - 13.69Km, 649m vert ascent. Getting easier and easier. Did Bains on Tuesday - what a blessing living near such lekker climbs! :thumbup:

Edited by Tiny K

I think I need to try it on my road bike too ... (I promise to follow the arrows).

As long as you don't ride up the downhill runs! laugh.gif

-Redhill road in simonston is an absolute biatch of note

Drove up here in a brute of a car.

Still need to give it a 2 wheeled go! Just the thought makes my eyes water and my legs burn.