Fastest speed downhill on a MTB

tunariaan

I have done 135km/h once and it was on a very technical part of the route.....

ek ook, vegeet om die garmin van die fiets af te haal, en die fiets was op die bike rack! laugh.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have a few scars to show for my sessions in tokai, and believe it or not these were from speeds below 20km/h

Yeah, I have a few scars to show for my sessions in tokai, and believe it or not these were from speeds below 20km/h

Sheesh, I've been putting off getting knee pads for way too long. Every fricken time I take a tumble my knees hit a rock or a root. A tradegy waiting to happen...

Sheesh, I've been putting off getting knee pads for way too long. Every fricken time I take a tumble my knees hit a rock or a root. A tradegy waiting to happen...

I know what you mean, I have finally ordered me some knee pads and some very discreet elbow pads from crc should be here this week

I know what you mean, I have finally ordered me some knee pads and some very discreet elbow pads from crc should be here this week

No need to be discreet about elbow and kneepads, wear them with pride and hope you never need them! Which is more or less what I did, then I piled shoulder first into a log and ended up breaking my collarbone (and not even a bit of dust on any of the pads)! Now I'm wondering what kind of discreet body armour is on the market.....

I once hit 89km/h on a long straight jeep track. At that speed the fork travel 80mm on the slightest of bumps.

yup! knees are devices for finding rocks and roots in the event of an involutary dismount.

Last year I came off a dirt jump pretty hard. My right shin went purple from the knee down. That was with knee guards. Probably woulda split my knee cap if I wasn't wearing them.

This year I came off another dirt jump pretty hard (you seeing a pattern here)... my knee hit the ground so hard that it knocked a scar right off. Again... with knee guards on, so I shudder to think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing them.

So yeah... make the plunge... get some guards ;)

Guest Omega Man

Riding down the road from Avoriaz to Morzine. I don't know how fast I was going but I overtook 2 cars and 4 roadies on my DH bike. Needless to say they were not stoked with me.

Just a thought.

Hitting a tree at 80km p/h is roughly the same as jumping off a twenty story building and landing on concrete.

Be carefull. I know its big fun, but it can cost you.

About 2 years back my wife comes back from working the Sunday shift at Vergelegen Medi-Clinic here in Somerset West, tells me about mountainbiker in ICU that hit a tree while going downhill. Crushed his ribcage and bunch of other injuries. Unfortunately that guy is now no longer with us.

I know us guys have adrenaline issues, but if you have families, think twice before screaming down that drop.

Guest Omega Man

Now I'm wondering what kind of discreet body armour is on the market.....

Body armor probably would not have helped your collar bone. It's uses are mainly abrasion prevention and light impact protection.

221km/h according to my Polar! The Eskom transmission lines I rode under might have something to do with that though :)

:lol: :D :D

Guest Omega Man

I once hit 89km/h on a long straight jeep track. At that speed the fork travel 80mm on the slightest of bumps.

If you aren't talking poo that is KKKKAAAAAAAKKK fast on a bicycle on a dirt road. You're very lucky you didn't crash.

Edited by Omega Man