Tow bar

chrism123

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to get a tow bar for my fiat palio, as i have acquired one of these holdfast racks: post-22320-0-24539700-1313525705.jpg

Can anyone tell me about how much it is to install a tow bar onto a hatch back. I imagine they would have to run a wiring lume for the lights to the back as well...

Thanks

Don't know where you live, but the cheapest place in JHB is Steelite in Booysens. Its at least 50% less than the second best quote you'll get

Want a tow bar for my Subaru. Any good leads in the Cape Town area? Have emailed a couple scrap dealers.

Want a tow bar for my Subaru. Any good leads in the Cape Town area? Have emailed a couple scrap dealers.

Also go to partsource.co.za - free parts locating service :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thule Roof system worked out about the same as getting a towbar fitted and bike rack. I went with the roof option as the towbar gets sold with the car, the roof racks i can take off.

Quote for towbar for my car (hatchback) R3800 - something about the design of the back needing a long towbar. This was for a generic one, the Honda version was more.

The tow bar itself is not the problem Chubba, I think any tow bar is okay, its the actual wiring of the tow bar into the cars wiring loom that can present issues, so maybe just check first, especially if your car has a manufacturers warranty or maintenance plan in force.

I should have been clearer maybe, the physical tow bar or its mounting is not the problem, its the wiring of the bar into the cars system, cutting and splicing looms in computer controlled engine management systems WILL invalidate any warranty or plan and could cause lots of computer and running issues.

Also go to partsource.co.za - free parts locating service :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Chris, sent through a request.

The tow bar itself is not the problem Chubba, I think any tow bar is okay, its the actual wiring of the tow bar into the cars wiring loom that can present issues, so maybe just check first, especially if your car has a manufacturers warranty or maintenance plan in force.

I should have been clearer maybe, the physical tow bar or its mounting is not the problem, its the wiring of the bar into the cars system, cutting and splicing looms in computer controlled engine management systems WILL invalidate any warranty or plan and could cause lots of computer and running issues.

My cars out of plan, so not to worried about that.

I would take it to get fitted from a reputable spot. Just don’t want to spend R3.5k on new parts.

Go to partsource.co.za and fill in a request for a tow bar, they contact all their subscribed scrap yards on your behalf and the service is free to you

thanks for that - i have just found a vw abs pump:

New - 16000

via partsource - 1500

Quite correct. I thoroughly investigated all options about a year ago, and had Renault fit an "approved" tow bar to my almost 1yr old Megane. Total cost was R3800, with the towbar itself being about R2000 if I remember, the rest being fitment and connection. It took half a day to fit, with the bulk of the time taken up by the loom wiring as mentioned above, so don't underestimate the complexity of that aspect...

Thule Roof system worked out about the same as getting a towbar fitted and bike rack. I went with the roof option as the towbar gets sold with the car, the roof racks i can take off.

Quote for towbar for my car (hatchback) R3800 - something about the design of the back needing a long towbar. This was for a generic one, the Honda version was more.

Hence you get them from Steelite! Paid R1,5k or so for my Honda Civic.

http://www.steelite.co.za

• 3 months later...

Looking for a towbar for a CRV.

Honda charges R3k juuuuuust to fit! ... and R4k for the harware.

Speedy and the likes are between R4.3k and R6k

Steelite R2550 all in!

Everyone happy with their Steelite towbars?

I'm having one put on today, costing me R1850 at Steelite. As far as I know there is one in pta and jhb.

Looking for a towbar for a CRV.

Honda charges R3k juuuuuust to fit! ... and R4k for the harware.

Speedy and the likes are between R4.3k and R6k

Steelite R2550 all in!

Everyone happy with their Steelite towbars?

Jep, Steelite's all good....so go get it

I'm having one put on today, costing me R1850 at Steelite. As far as I know there is one in pta and jhb.

Cool. Happy with what you got?