32GI

ridr

Hi All

ok, so im one of the avid 32GI users, and as we know it only works if you are consuming low GI products while on the stuff.

I currently eat alot of diabetic jam samis, and apples while riding.

I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone else eats whilst on 32GI rides. maybe pick up a few tastier options :thumbup:

thanks!

Missing a couple meals might do you some good.. and as for all those beers they aren't low GI :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing since I've been using 32gi is that I just don't feel like eating, and it's hard forcing stuff down my throat...

+1, although I do like eating a banana about half way through the ride (if I remember to take it with :blush: )

My normal diet is Healthy, lots of greens, veg, pastas, lean meat and chicken and fish. NOTHING friend EVER. When i ride with the 32GI I dont get hungry at all, BUT I dont feel great agter 80km's either. I do the Pure Life breakfast, 1 bottle of 32Gi and another water, chews (32GI). What should I be doing during a normal week for the 32GI to give me the WONDER of sustained energy?

If I eat bread, its ALL low GI....

HELP

I raced 70.3 on 32GI this past weekend.

For breakfast, I had that Natrure Life low GI cereal with a banana and then sucked on a 700ml bottle of 32GI. (Damn, I missed my coffee)

One x 500ml bottle on the bike together with half a packet of 32GI Chews (my second bottle I didnt drink becase of the cool, wet conditions).

The balance of the packet of 32GI chews at approx 6k's into the run with water at every other water station.

Only with approx 7k's to go after racing now for 5 hours, did I have a Powerbar Goo washed down with water and then with 3k's a Powerbar Energy bar.

At the end of the race I still felt strong.

Love the 32GI chews. Just wish they were easier to eat whilst on the bike.

Sorry for being off the topic here but hows normal energade compared to all the more expensive drinks?

I used cytomax but feel no difference to energade.

Hey guys

32GI ain't so great at all - really, it's like flavoured water with nothing more to it. If you want a good product go to Fritz Pienaar Cycles in Paulshof and the shop there "Pace and Power". Their protein shakes and energy drinks are really good and you literally feel the difference. I've done some really intense long distance rides with mates and it wasn't 32GI that saved me but an ice cold Coke (that was before I discovered Pace and Power at Fritz Pienaar)

ciao

To add to that - I always eat an apple an hour and always carry a muffin or 3. However, when I did my trip to Botswana in December I had water, water, more water (about 10 litres a day). At the end of the trip either a litre of milk or a litre of fruit juice.

You get no fancy energy drinks in Africa so you'll be pretty hard pressed to find some gels etc there. You can do a sh1tload of training without any fancy gels and energy drinks. However, having said that I am pretty strict on taking glutamine after each training session.

I've done some really intense long distance rides with mates and it wasn't 32GI that saved me but an ice cold Coke (that was before I discovered Pace and Power at Fritz Pienaar)

So is PowerPace better than Coke? Or just better than 32GI? If it's better than Coke the guys at FPC could really be on to a barn stormer of a product!

Hey guys

32GI ain't so great at all - really, it's like flavoured water with nothing more to it. If you want a good product go to Fritz Pienaar Cycles in Paulshof and the shop there "Pace and Power". Their protein shakes and energy drinks are really good and you literally feel the difference. I've done some really intense long distance rides with mates and it wasn't 32GI that saved me but an ice cold Coke (that was before I discovered Pace and Power at Fritz Pienaar)

ciao

Well they sure do charge for the flavoured water then! :blink: It seems to work for me so I guess I will keep on with it. That being said, I am always keen to try other stuff. Maybe when this lot finishes I will pop past FP and give Pace and Power a bash.

I think GI32 works for a certain type of person and not for others....

first because it is low GI it takes time before you have any effect, second because it is low GI there is no blood sugar spike so you won't notice it so much.

But both of these is why I like it, to loose weight I am on a low GI diet, and I am therefore training my body to burn more fat when exercising, if you are used to putting quick response = high GI drinks and snacks into your system then obviously it will have a different effect to those, and it will take your body some time to adjust, and your mind some time to adjust to making sure you fuel up before you need it (30+ minutes) which means once you are about to bonk its too late and you need to take something else.

For me what it means is that I can do a 3-4 hour MTB session without taking in excessive calories, as I need 1-1.5 bottles for a hard session (200-300 Cal or about a 10th of what I burn according to my Polar HRM), and I finish without that feeling of needing to empty the fridge! I always ride with a bottle of GI32 and my camelbak full of water because I need 2-3 litres of water in that time in addition to the GI32. For emergencies (not often required) I have some dried fruit strips from Woolies with me, also not High GI but higher than GI32. I also tend to eat an apple before what I know will be a long session, but don't bother to drink a bottle of GI32 before starting.

While I must admit that I have not tried other products, I have been been using 32gi for about 7 months and have been satisfied with it. I drink 500ml half an hour before training rides as well as during races. Used it during Double Century with good results ( especially as it was my first and I only took up cycling in May last year).

I did eat low gi bread with organic peanut butter as well as bananas on the way. Have to admit I also had to force myself to eat, although that could have been due to the heat. I did take a packet of 32gi chews with but found them unpleasant to eat, especially as they had warmed up being in back pocket in sunlight. Overall I think the product very good and certainly makes sense regarding the 'spike' other drinks can give you.

Following with interest. I every so often get as hungry as héll when on longer rides with 32GI. But I just eat normal stuff, not on a low-GI meal plan, etc. Which is most likely the cause of this, but I'm not a pro athlete, so if that ends up meaning I just use it for training (at least until I understand this phenomenon) and not racing, so be it. I like it for training, my first tub is scraping bottom and trying out new flavours for next tub as of this afternoon.

Got some of the chews (thankfully that's readily available now) and will try that on my next long ride. Used to eating other chews when using high-GI energy drink, so I presume these won't be much different, just low-GI. What tells you I haven't even opened the package yet! ;) And heard Redbar is a good bar to use with it.

I dont eat a thing when i do 4-5 hr rides. But if i must a redbar is fine or peanut butter low gi sarmie. I find with the 32gi i can just ride forever and i was known to bonk after 3 hrs on most of my rides. #2 has saved my career as a amatuer mtb cyclist.

I chomp on Jungle oats bars... every 45mins or so. The Nut one seem to work best at not spiking me...

However. I do 5 hour rides on Saturdays on the road bike and I have to shop some extra liquid after about 3h30 or so...

So what I do is buy one small luqui-fruit and one 500ml water. Squeeze the liqui-fruit into my empty water bottle and fill it up with the 500ml water.

Maybe it's the change from luke warm 32Gi, but the liqui-fruit/water mix works a treat to get me through that last hour or so.

Archived