32GI

ridr

Clearly I know you. 100 club ring any bells?

HAHA! ok, its all coming back to me now! you doing the 75km sabi again this year? or moving up to the 110km?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a couple of remarks:

the REDBARS are really tasty! my experience is that people buy them initially for food on the bike, and then start eating them as a snack/meal replacement to help with weightloss

another great option is BIKEFOOD bars (http://www.mybikefood.com/)

and the initial 32GI chews had a problem with melting point - this has been rectified - the new ones will not melt in your pockets/car

I needed to reply to this as tintin32, obviously does not know the difference between a complex carb and flavoured water.

Anyway I need to explain something to you all around eating with 32Gi. Everyone is on this low GI thinking kick, but if you dont want to switch to eating low GI foods you dont need to. You see, it works like this, when you eat a high GI product such as a gel, it will surely spike your blood glucose levels the feeling you get is not the muscles getting a boost its the glucose load to the brain which makes you feel good. There is a 60/40 split between muscle and brain feed. Now of course if you take in a high GI product you start a pendulum swinging you need to top up frequently and not miss a feed, as the drop is quick and when you hit the low you will feel it. Now assume the following, you take in a high GI product, and you take in 32Gi with it, so a Gel with 32Gi in the bottle. What will happen is that consuming the two together will of course modify the glycemic load, so instead of the gel giving you 30 minutes, the 32Gi will taper it off nicely giving you the nice glucose feed you want but it will taper the drop on the other side, and give you more time to the next feed. You see it has an excellent benefit as a energy level stabilizer, no matter what you take in with it. The thing is you need to experiment an see what works for you. We have customers who love the low GI route and stick to it, and we have some who mix Cytomax or Hammer in 1 bottle and 32Gi in the other.

OK so why low GI?

This is where another debate comes in. What is an energy drink there for?

Its not to give you a rocket boost, its function is there to spare glycogen depletion and assist with mental focus and of course hydration. There are two ways to do this, but one is naturally more efficient than the other, under certain conditions.

The two methods are first lipolysis and the second is glucose feed.

Lipolysis is the bodies ability to convert fat into fuel :-). The process is pretty natural and it can also only take place when the athlete is performing within his threshold below 75-80percent of his VOMax.Its a brilliant way of sparing glycogen an secondly keeping your energy levels balanced during a sporting event. The second way is glucose feed, or overfeed as I call it. When you put a flood of glucose into your system, the brain will say to the body, hey glucose is readily available i will supply the energy, however, what I dont use, I will store as fat. The problem with most athletes today is you actually see sugar abuse, and so if you ever wonder why a lot of cyclists burn off thousands of calories but tend to gain body fat, its because of one thing, they are taking in excessive calories more than are burning off. Be wary of this, nutrition is totally key. So recommendation when performing within your limits try to use your body fat for fuel, its the best way, and its a fact that Dr Allen Limm the Radioshack king, will get hiis riders to burn as much fat as possible in the first few hours of a tour stage, he wants to spare as much glycogen as possible. He has also proven that his Tour riders cannot absorb more than 500calories per an hour, due to the gastric emptying rates which exist. So he feeds accordingly beneath this threshold, he ONLY feeds the high GI products right at the end when the attacks begin in the last hour or so. So there is a place for high GI, and this is in two areas, firstly you are pushing yourself to the absolute limit, lipolysis is tooo slow for fat to energy conversion, only ATP is quick enough to fuel the muscles and this comes directly from glycogen, the feeling of fatigue comes from brain shut off as well, and you will need to put some glucose into your system to keep yourself mentally focused and your energy levels balanced. However if you have fed yourself well throughout the race, you might find you are strong enough all the way to the end without them.

The second thing is if you ever hit the wall, there is only one thing to get you out of the situation and that is a boost of glucose, so keeping a gel or 2 as a backup is not a bad idea if you are not intimately familiar with your nutrition, and most people I come across dont understand it very well. Last week I competed in one of the toughest 70.3's on the globe in the middle east, afterwards someone asked me how many gels did you use, I told them 0. They were shocked, saying but how. It was simple, I raced within my limits I fuelled myself very well before and during, not just with a drink but food as well, and by the time I hit the run, I needed only water. I finished with 1h21 run a PB for me, but the mention is purely because it demonstrates the importance of planning race nutrition and sticking to it, also knowing your body and your limits.

Food for thought, but remember, play, train, play again, get advice and find what works.

all the best

M

I needed to reply to this as tintin32, obviously does not know the difference between a complex carb and flavoured water.

Anyway I need to explain something to you all around eating with 32Gi. Everyone is on this low GI thinking kick, but if you dont want to switch to eating low GI foods you dont need to. You see, it works like this, when you eat a high GI product such as a gel, it will surely spike your blood glucose levels the feeling you get is not the muscles getting a boost its the glucose load to the brain which makes you feel good. There is a 60/40 split between muscle and brain feed. Now of course if you take in a high GI product you start a pendulum swinging you need to top up frequently and not miss a feed, as the drop is quick and when you hit the low you will feel it. Now assume the following, you take in a high GI product, and you take in 32Gi with it, so a Gel with 32Gi in the bottle. What will happen is that consuming the two together will of course modify the glycemic load, so instead of the gel giving you 30 minutes, the 32Gi will taper it off nicely giving you the nice glucose feed you want but it will taper the drop on the other side, and give you more time to the next feed. You see it has an excellent benefit as a energy level stabilizer, no matter what you take in with it. The thing is you need to experiment an see what works for you. We have customers who love the low GI route and stick to it, and we have some who mix Cytomax or Hammer in 1 bottle and 32Gi in the other.

OK so why low GI?

This is where another debate comes in. What is an energy drink there for?

Its not to give you a rocket boost, its function is there to spare glycogen depletion and assist with mental focus and of course hydration. There are two ways to do this, but one is naturally more efficient than the other, under certain conditions.

The two methods are first lipolysis and the second is glucose feed.

Lipolysis is the bodies ability to convert fat into fuel :-). The process is pretty natural and it can also only take place when the athlete is performing within his threshold below 75-80percent of his VOMax.Its a brilliant way of sparing glycogen an secondly keeping your energy levels balanced during a sporting event. The second way is glucose feed, or overfeed as I call it. When you put a flood of glucose into your system, the brain will say to the body, hey glucose is readily available i will supply the energy, however, what I dont use, I will store as fat. The problem with most athletes today is you actually see sugar abuse, and so if you ever wonder why a lot of cyclists burn off thousands of calories but tend to gain body fat, its because of one thing, they are taking in excessive calories more than are burning off. Be wary of this, nutrition is totally key. So recommendation when performing within your limits try to use your body fat for fuel, its the best way, and its a fact that Dr Allen Limm the Radioshack king, will get hiis riders to burn as much fat as possible in the first few hours of a tour stage, he wants to spare as much glycogen as possible. He has also proven that his Tour riders cannot absorb more than 500calories per an hour, due to the gastric emptying rates which exist. So he feeds accordingly beneath this threshold, he ONLY feeds the high GI products right at the end when the attacks begin in the last hour or so. So there is a place for high GI, and this is in two areas, firstly you are pushing yourself to the absolute limit, lipolysis is tooo slow for fat to energy conversion, only ATP is quick enough to fuel the muscles and this comes directly from glycogen, the feeling of fatigue comes from brain shut off as well, and you will need to put some glucose into your system to keep yourself mentally focused and your energy levels balanced. However if you have fed yourself well throughout the race, you might find you are strong enough all the way to the end without them.

The second thing is if you ever hit the wall, there is only one thing to get you out of the situation and that is a boost of glucose, so keeping a gel or 2 as a backup is not a bad idea if you are not intimately familiar with your nutrition, and most people I come across dont understand it very well. Last week I competed in one of the toughest 70.3's on the globe in the middle east, afterwards someone asked me how many gels did you use, I told them 0. They were shocked, saying but how. It was simple, I raced within my limits I fuelled myself very well before and during, not just with a drink but food as well, and by the time I hit the run, I needed only water. I finished with 1h21 run a PB for me, but the mention is purely because it demonstrates the importance of planning race nutrition and sticking to it, also knowing your body and your limits.

Food for thought, but remember, play, train, play again, get advice and find what works.

all the best

M

I was introduced to 32GI by reading about it on the HUB. I then went to my LBS in George who did not stock it at the time but eventually managed to get some. I eat anything, anytime, and lots. I weigh 90kgs and previously often used hit the wall on long rides. I now use 32GI for all rides of 2hours+ with the odd bar to snack on. Since using 32GI I never hit the wall or bonk, even on the longer 4 hour+ rides. I believe this stuff works (at least for me) no matter what I eat. But it does work best to at least have something in your stomach before going out. Did the Pioneer, Hell, Attakwas etc on it and never looking back.

Or may be i just got fitter...

I fuel as best I can before, during and after racing and training with good healthy foods.

The 32gi product has been excellent in moderating my energy levels during exercise.

Cannot see any other way at this stage.

My results have improved and continue to.

Don't hinge your expectations on a product - rest, eat well, and train responsibly.

It all adds up to success! :thumbup:

I have raw oats and whey protein with skimmed milk for breakfast. 1 bottle (50grams) 1hr before race and 1 bottle in race. Start consuming energy gel 1hr before end. I only use 32GI on racedays. This routine has worked well in all the races since i started using it mid 2010. This past wknd i did a 126km race and had a PVM energy bar 1hr into race and consumed my 32GI during race with only 1 sip from my Gel flask. I was 100%! Had enough energy to ride the 15km home after race. Oh and i also did the 15km ride to the venue for warm up.

I think GI32 works for a certain type of person and not for others....

...those types wearing PowerBalance?

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody give me a quick rundown on the last 38 pages

Does it still ROCK ?

Must i go buy it ?

USN is now finished and looking try something different

Somebody give me a quick rundown on the last 38 pages

Does it still ROCK ?

Must i go buy it ?

USN is now finished and looking try something different

I like it lots, enough to specialy import it all the way from SA to Switz.

To qualify the above, what I like about it:

1. Even after long rides and drinking 3 – 4 750 ml bottles it still tastes nice at the end of the ride, not to sweet.

2. Energy levels feel better compared to other products used previously. Instead of feeling tired after a long ride I find I still have the energy to do other things straight after riding such wash the bike, clothes, camelback, make lunch etc before sitting down to relax.

I’m on 32GI. Did a 5 hour MTB ride the other day with my 22 year old cousin. No food, no gel, no energy bars. (That is me, he had about 5 of each). With 4 hours behind us, he had to phone his dad to come and fetch him “Toe is sy poeier op... Klaar”. I had to force myself to stop. I had 2 bottles 32GI on the road and a moerse attitude when I got home. One UP for the oldies and 32GI!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I got some in December and tried it in training and it worked well. So I decided to try race with it in the Fast One. Drank one serving 30 minutes before and took one bottle of 32Gi and one of water. Did my normal pre-race food and drink as I have done in the past. Also took 4 gels with. Only difference to what I have done in the past was that I have 32Gi in my race bottle and took the pre-event serving. I struggled in the last part of the Fast One. The gels just about got me to the finish. For the Emperors Palace race I went back to the drink I have always used and felt strong throughout the whole race. So 32Gi just doesn't work for me in races. I have not studied nutrition or so but the possible reason that I found for it not working in a race is that in a race I need energy faster than 32Gi (being a slower sustained release of energy from what I hear) can provide. For the short durations of races at high intensities I need energy and I need it instantly, not over a long period of time. In training the intensity is lower so 32Gi can release energy at about the rate I use it but in a race I use energy faster than 32Gi can provide it.

On a recent long training ride of 5:42 I used 3212 Calories (according to my Garmin), which is about 9.39 Calories a minute.

In the Emperors race I did 2:29 and I used 1932 Calories, which is 12.97 Calories a minute.

Can 32Gi provide that extra energy quick enough in a race? For me, no. So I will stick with what I used in the past and what works.

I used 32gi before last years 94.7. Took 2 servings the day before, and 1 serving in the morning. Also had my usual futurelife and whey protein mixed with milk for breakfast. I didnt have any sugar the day before. At the start line I had a packet of the 32gi gels.

During the race I drank about a quarter of my bottle of 32 gi, and then I lost both of my bottles going down the hill in town. I rode the rest of the race with nothing on me to eat or drink. I had to stop halfway for a cup of water, and then with 10km to go for a cup of coke.

I managed to get a pb for the race, which is great considering how hot it was and I had very little to drink. My average hr was 90% of max, and maintained this intensity the whole race.

Been using 32gi since then, and it works great for me, whether its low or super high intensity riding.

Archived