Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

The wind has not been my friend these last few days, except for Tuesday afternoon. But a harder ride makes the good days better :) On Tuesday I felt like "the man" after passing a couple of roadies on their ultra light bikes and no extra kit. I was on my rather huge 29'er mtb with dik-wiel commuter tyres and a 10kg backpack. They were spinning to keep up with me, and after passing me when I had to slow down for a car I stuck to them with my slow cadence, their legs spinning at some insane speed .... aaahhhh I *am* the man ... lol :D

Would love to join you guys for a Wednesday morning ride up the mountain. I'll need to make a plan to leave home a lot earlier. 6:30 at the towers ?

6:30am at the top of Chelmsford Rd

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning forgot my buff at home (I have very little hair left on my head)

So I arrived at the office. Felt like a bucket of ice was dumped on my head. Fingers had 0 feeling in them and I am still chilled.

Seems that summer ran away again. Now missing the nice warm temps of last week...

See that we are in for a bit of a cold spell again...

http://www.weathersa.co.za//media/data/observation/synoptic/ma_sy.gif

Edited by François Marais

So I arrived at the office. Felt like a bucket of ice was dumped on my head. Fingers had 0 feeling in them and I am still chilled.

Seems that summer ran away again. Now missing the nice warm temps of last week...

http://www.weathersa...optic/ma_sy.gif

Here we go, very well priced and has worked well for me the last two winter seasons .... and the lady is an absolute pleasure to work with!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/31438-multi-scarfs-buffs/

Here we go, very well priced and has worked well for me the last two winter seasons .... and the lady is an absolute pleasure to work with!

http://www.thehubsa....i-scarfs-buffs/

Have a few of her "scarves"

Just forgot mine at home. Was very lazy to walk back to the house, up the stairs, explain to my fiancee why I am back, walk down the stairs, accross the frozen lawn, open the garage, get bike out...

So thought I will just take off without protection. Was flippen cold on the ears. See that I cycled about 5 minutes slower than usual as well.

http://www.weathersa...optic/ma_sy.gif

You unwillingly did the ice bucket challenge.

Must say today was rather cold, but about 2km from work I changed gloves, removed a scarf at 5 km from work.

One thing I learnt today is that Toyota 86 drivers has the smallest man members, and dare I say smaller than those of Fortuner drivers... Had two red 86's this morning making one huge racket to the joy of a few construction workers on a Bakkie. When the light switched to green they were off in a cloud of petrol fumes and spinning wheels. And must say as the one hit 3rd gear (she) still had enough guts to get a bit of wheelspin in the ride.

Must say today was rather cold, but about 2km from work I changed gloves, removed a scarf at 5 km from work.

One thing I learnt today is that Toyota 86 drivers has the smallest man members, and dare I say smaller than those of Fortuner drivers... Had two red 86's this morning making one huge racket to the joy of a few construction workers on a Bakkie. When the light switched to green they were off in a cloud of petrol fumes and spinning wheels. And must say as the one hit 3rd gear (she) still had enough guts to get a bit of wheelspin in the ride.

This is the time of the year where things start cold but warms up very quickly.

Smoetimes - because sometimes it's just better for drivers in particular and the population in general that I rather concentrate on tunes than what **** they get up to :D

do you guys listen to tunes while you ride?

Yes. Have my phone on headset. So listen to tunes and also can deal with calls while riding. I am on standby every third week and deal quite often with urgent calls from other guys on standby.

do you guys listen to tunes while you ride?

As of the 18th December last year it is illegal to wear headphone while riding. That being said i use to when i had a road bike but since i sold it and got a MTB i have never had the urge to.