Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove my car to work two days in a row. I feel guilty and dirty. :mellow:

My bike's been broken for a week, and I've been sick for another. Same feels...

Started commuting to work again this week after having finally fixed my bike after 3 months.... getting back to riding/commuting feels amazing!

Great to still see many commuters on pretorias roads.

I still see alot of guys have issues with pedestrians,my fox 40 whistle still does the trick even when headphones are involved.

Started commuting to work again this week after having finally fixed my bike after 3 months.... getting back to riding/commuting feels amazing!

I still see alot of guys have issues with pedestrians,my fox 40 whistle still does the trick even when headphones are involved.

Thanks for the idea for the Fox40. I still have mine from my umpiring days. (I used to umpire hockey at provincial level...)

The commuters just don't react to a bell. The fox40 will wake them up properly

something I have "learnt" countless times before .... when you puncture, do not leave the punctured tube in your bag, fix it the same night as you will need a tube again and think the one you have is nice and air tight .... but it won't be :(

Thanks for the idea for the Fox40. I still have mine from my umpiring days. (I used to umpire hockey at provincial level...)

I second the whistle for an effective tool.

Glad I could help,I had a couple lying in my hockey bag so strapped one onto the chest strap of my bag and it's found a new permanent home...I always find people have a tendency to stop or freeze when you blow on it properly...hope it helps!

something I have "learnt" countless times before .... when you puncture, do not leave the punctured tube in your bag, fix it the same night as you will need a tube again and think the one you have is nice and air tight .... but it won't be :(

Learnt that this morning. Hit a patch of glass in the dark, puncturing about 5 spots, tyre doesn't want to seal. Not quite sure how I'm getting home...

Also, it's getting dark out in the morning. I was away for two weeks, all of a sudden it's still night-time when I have to start. Less cars though. I have two lights in front and a tail light. What do you guys do? Do you stop commuting some time? Or bad-ass it through?

Learnt that this morning. Hit a patch of glass in the dark, puncturing about 5 spots, tyre doesn't want to seal. Not quite sure how I'm getting home...

Also, it's getting dark out in the morning. I was away for two weeks, all of a sudden it's still night-time when I have to start. Less cars though. I have two lights in front and a tail light. What do you guys do? Do you stop commuting some time? Or bad-ass it through?

Ah that sucks, no spare tube?

Used to start my commute at 4:00/4:30 in the morning, summer and winter, it was always dark, make yourself visible (you already have) and enjoy the fresh air ^_^

Ah that sucks, no spare tube?

Used to start my commute at 4:00/4:30 in the morning, summer and winter, it was always dark, make yourself visible (you already have) and enjoy the fresh air ^_^

The spare tube has been lying in my bag for so long, the patches on it has started disintegrating. Lesson learned. A work buddy said he'll drive me to the LBS to get a new tube.

In winter, do you do leg and arm warmers? Still a little new to the commuting business.

Bummer man. I normally carry at least one unused tube, I don't always trust patched tubes.

Lights sound fine, just make sure your tail light is nice and bright, I sometimes see guys early morning with floodlights on their bars and a tiny flickering gnat's eye at the rear.

And yes just bad-ass it through the winter, arm warmers and leg warmers do help; it's not Gauteng cold in CT but a whole lot wetter so a rain jacket and cover for the backpack is pretty much essential.

If I Iived in GP I'd probably ride in the winter wearing a fur coat...

for winter riding, invest in some insulating long fingered gloves.

And a buff around the mouth and ears.

Bright lights a must in traffic. Even when the sun is shinig.

The spare tube has been lying in my bag for so long, the patches on it has started disintegrating. Lesson learned. A work buddy said he'll drive me to the LBS to get a new tube.

In winter, do you do leg and arm warmers? Still a little new to the commuting business.

depends how cold it is.

Usually starts with just an extra tshirt under cycling top, and arm warmers, then add knee warmers, then when it gets colder, a jacket.

Only have knee warmers, but they help a lot. the rest of the leg gets cold when you start out, but after 10 min you dont feel the cold there anymore :whistling:

for winter riding, invest in some insulating long fingered gloves.

And a buff around the mouth and ears.

Bright lights a must in traffic. Even when the sun is shinig.

Snap ja, a good buff to cover the nose, ears and neck. 

• The hill on the way home from work is alway hard, but eventually you sweat less

People at work judge you, but you judge them right back

Commuters with beards look cool, but I always wonder if they have a real job

The wind can be so strong that you have to abandon ship or hit the pavement

You'll always come second in a collision, never forget it

When riding a SS up a hill and somebody on a road bike passes you they'll say nice bike, you just grunt

Picking up groceries in the way home is hard, especially corn flakes or anything in a big box- couple this with wind and you're a sail- see point 4 above

Bedtime is earlier

For the first time in quite a while I truly felt like I was fulfulling rule number #9...

Waking up to hear it pouring with rain this morning I felt like a little kid on Xmas.was so excited to get on the bike and commute.

Fresh cold rain falling on your steamy body is a great feeling.

Some people think you crazy others you can see are a tad jealous.