Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I must say that my routine needs some tweaking :) So far I've forgotten: belt, jeans, water bottle, lunch. I commuted in with laptop, power supply (half a brick at least) 3 t-shirts, jeans, undies, shoes, socks, water and lunch last week Tuesday. That was pretty silly - I'll scatter the stuff around throughout the week, taking in shirts and jeans, jocks and socks on Tuesday for the next 5 workdays, then I can carry the computer on Monday and Friday. Towels will be on Thursdays ...

I've also opened a savings account (with no fees) that I'm calling my bike fund. Every day I commute, I save R25 in fuel. Every day I commute transfer R25 into the account - should be around R6K by end of year, enough (please please please) for a 2012 end-of-line Scott Aspect 10?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'nother things lurnt:

*Double up on stuff at the office - ie have a full shower set there (as well as at home), so that you never leave it at home.

*When you need to change something (ie old jeans for fresh ones, or towel etc) leave the old one at the office UNTIL you've got the new one there :)

*40 minutes morning and 30 minutes afternoon is not enough to drop weight (sigh) - I'm extending both routes to go at least 60 minutes.

*A flashing red light at the back (if you can, more than 1) makes a MASSIVE difference in driver's attitudes towards you. I had one on for the last three commutes, and cars pass me with at least 50cm more clearance than before ... funny, but so far it's held up. Even works on buses :shock horror:

*Most people thinks I'm being funny when tell them I bike to work and back.

*My commute so far is good for about 130km a week.

I've also opened a savings account (with no fees) that I'm calling my bike fund. Every day I commute, I save R25 in fuel. Every day I commute transfer R25 into the account

Bloody GREAT idea :clap:

Had the privilege this morning of riding in to work with Carl and Ashley Moolman Pasio, while they were on a "gentle" morning ride. What a stunning friendly couple! The way Ashley tapped out a comfortable rythm, sitting in front, into this wind was incredible. Thanks for the chat guys.

This morning had to be my easy ride, the legs was even sore after the weekends long ride...After 10 minutes you just feel faster and you can't stop yourself racing against yourself.

While standing at a red robot I saw a MTBer going past, I have spoken to this guy previously and he told me he is doing the EPIC...So i thought me riding the road bike will catch him...alas I did not even see him again...

1. Don't assume that cyclist coming from the front will move to their left instead of right when passing by.

2. Tar is hard.

1. Don't assume that cyclist coming from the front will move to their left instead of right when passing by.

2. Tar is hard.

eina!

Anyone else live in Fourways / Lonehill / Sunninghill / Paulshof and work in Midrand?

Myself and Dash82 commute a couple of times a week if anyone wants to join.

I know I should have learnt it by now, but just this afternoon I re-learned again by pressing my nose on the rear window, that a SA taxi can stop faser than anything else on earth. Actually, it can stop faster that its brake lights can come on. Close one.

Next week I'm starting my commute from wynberg to century city. Got 3 routes (and many more to come) 15km, 25km or 45km. Depends how much time I have and how energetic I'm feeling as to which route I take.

1. check on a map before you attempt to cycle from a new office!

My 15 k commute from Parktown to Randburg became a 40 ride past Westdene ... Only when i saw the minedumps at the Maraisburg offramp I realised that I'm slightly too south ...

2. Take a light - just in case :)

Tomorrow I'll do my first commute. Its only 7km one way one way, but forman unfit guy like me its better than nothing. I'll be doing it on MTB and riding on the curb most of the time. Are there any tips for a firat time rider to make the ride most effective?

Next week I'm starting my commute from wynberg to century city. Got 3 routes (and many more to come) 15km, 25km or 45km. Depends how much time I have and how energetic I'm feeling as to which route I take.

Hi Mayhem

How's the commuting going?

Tomorrow I'll do my first commute. Its only 7km one way one way, but forman unfit guy like me its better than nothing. I'll be doing it on MTB and riding on the curb most of the time. Are there any tips for a firat time rider to make the ride most effective?

Hi P A K, good luck, your fitness is about to improve.

Rule no. 1 is to stay alive, everything else, even your own ego, comes after that. Remember it always.

Read through the whole thread, there are lots of good advice in the previous 12 pages.

I was quite anxious before my first commute. Started last year. Had some not so nice experience, but I love commuting by bicycle. Its by far the best way to travel. Enjoy! :thumbup:

My commute to work twice a week on my MTB. 30kms is downhill to work. The 30kms return is hell because it includes the M19. The route encompasses the whole beach front so this is an added pleasure.

I rode my road bike today and found it took me only 15 longer to get to work but I will never do it again. Had to keep to the road and watch out for glass and traffic. I was terrified and I am too old for this!

MTB is the way to go although it takes longer. I can do the pavements in busy areas, go through construction sites and actually have more fun and watch the entertainment on the beach. (no wonder it takes me longer)

If you feel strong, there is also a race to be had for the more adventurous. Love my commute.