Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Something I learned commuting yesterday is that you can get bikes with put-put engines attached. Was smoked by some dude yesterday on a the rickety-est bike you've ever seen. When I caught him at a robot he reckons he got it for R1500 (bike and engine) from some place in Jet Park. It had stickers on it saying www.hotrock.com or something, but dunno if that's the maker or the retailer.

Apart from the fact it looked like it was about to fall to pieces it went quite well.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Learnt recently (since wife's work situation changed) that dropping the kids off at school makes commuting by bike impossible. I've managed to get one of the boys to ride home after school with me a few times, but the size of book and sports bags (hockey goalie gear is the size of a small car) generally makes it impossible. I'll need 2 bike trailers.

Now I take my bike to work by car, then I ride from work to work after work (ha, ha) and drive home afterwards! Insane, I know.

Learnt today that with a bit of help you can make it on time. Thank you to the kind roadie with the massive tattoo on his equally massive fight calf giving me a tow on my way to town, just before Big Bay. I made my telecon with 4 minutes to spare! Sweaty but on time! Best shower ever afterwards! The ride home will be the low hr one this morning was supposed to be.

Learnt today that with a bit of help you can make it on time. Thank you to the kind roadie with the massive tattoo on his equally massive fight calf giving me a tow on my way to town, just before Big Bay. I made my telecon with 4 minutes to spare! Sweaty but on time! Best shower ever afterwards! The ride home will be the low hr one this morning was supposed to be.

If asked this question on the other post on commuting also.

In your minds what is a too far commute??

I commute 60km a day, every day. By day 4 the legs tend to start complaining a bit. However, with doing low hr training this week, they've been ok. For me it's a simple decision, going in the car takes longer with traffic, so the 30km is "short". What you should rather ask is whether you'll hate getting up after day three to put your bum on that saddle, when it's windy and the car seems so easy. Also take into account my route is flat...how fit are you? How long and far is your route?

My commute is 50km one way.

So I generally do it once or twice a week only, following the best format of driving into the office in the morning with the bike on the rack, then cycling home in the evening. Up at 04h30 next morning to ride back in.

Living at the coast, I check the 7 day forecast and then make the call which days look the best (try to hopefully follow a south wester north to Ballito, and if lucky I'll have a NE blowing me back in the morning, but I take what I can get).

That's a nice ride tombeej!

Some more things I've seen...longer term though:

You lose weight. Lots. Even someone like me that normally struggles to gain or lose.

You eat like a pig.

14:00 at the office is tough some days.

It makes you STRONG.

My commute is 50km one way.

So I generally do it once or twice a week only, following the best format of driving into the office in the morning with the bike on the rack, then cycling home in the evening. Up at 04h30 next morning to ride back in.

Living at the coast, I check the 7 day forecast and then make the call which days look the best (try to hopefully follow a south wester north to Ballito, and if lucky I'll have a NE blowing me back in the morning, but I take what I can get).

That is almost the distance that I would do, mine closer to 60km. Maybe follow the twice a week deal, Drive car and bike in on Teus and then cycle back next morning.

Edited by DamMTBer

That is almost the distance that I would do, mine closer to 60km. Maybe follow the twice a week deal, Drive car and bike in on Teus and then cycle back next morning.

Some thoughts:

1. If you haven't done it for the first time yet, then I suggest first having a go with a Thursday night/Friday morning run. By the time you've got into the office on the return leg you may feel pretty trashed, and I find it's easier to handle a Friday with 1 eye open than some time mid-week.

2. I found that I need to have a "totally self supported" mindset. In other words, a good backpack with at least 2 spare tubes (trust me), rain shell, mini mag light for changing tyres in the dark, etc, etc. Things do go wrong and there's a very definite mindset you have to get yourself into, because it's point-to-point (no turning around, you have to make it). This is especially true for the next morning - knowing that the only way to get back to the office (and your car) is on your bike. What I'm trying to say is that long distance commuting is just as much a mental thing as it is a physical one.

3. Be ready for the turnaround. What I mean is that you need to be clued up about what happens when you get home. For example: You could easily have cut a sidewall on the way home, so have a spare tyre at home. You could have had a flat, so have stock of spare tubes at home. You won't have time to start mending (you'll be too tired and also need to focus on food, preparing bottles, recovery, etc.), so just drop another new spare into the backpack. Everything must be ready and laid out before you climb into bed - to the extent that when your alarm goes off at 04h30, you can stand up and climb straight into your kit, put on your pack, push the bike out the front door and be on the road within 10 mins of opening your eyes. Also, either have a spare headlight battery to swop out for the return leg, or make sure that the first thing you do when you get home is plug it into the charger, along with your GPS unit. Makes more sense to have the spare, though.

4. Always aim to arrive 15-20 mins earlier in the morning that you expect to arrive. Why? Because Murphy is also a cyclist and he likes to play, especially in the mornings for some reason.

5. Inevitably, you'll find yourself pushing it on the rides. That's just the mindset you'll be in - you want to get home as quick as possible in the evenings, and you want to push as hard as possible to get into the office. So you might find that you'll take longer to recover compared to your regular rides - factor that into your thinking as well.

I remember the first time I did the run - I really was nervous. That first one was a big thing for me, and I felt a sense of achievement when I had made it back to the office that first Friday morning ready to start the day. Now it's pretty routine - in fact, by the time 4pm rolls around I can't concentrate from the anticipation of the ride :thumbup:

Edited by tombeej

Another thing I do is have my cell phone in a hard shell (found a tupperware in the cupboard the right size for my B.Berry) in my back pocket. I phone the missus when I reach certain landmarks that she's familiar with, so she knows how I'm progressing.

My last call is when I'm about 20 mins out so she knows when to get the spagetti bolognese on the go. As I arrive I walk straight to the shower and 3 mins later I'm tucking into a big hearty supper. She's used to me and my strange ways, and over the years she's honed her own skills as a super-second.

It really does help to have a clued up and supportive loved one at home - makes all the difference (although it does take some persuading on your part to convince her that you're not a total nutcase).

Thanks for in-depth reply.

I have the same problem, spoke to the wife about the commuting option. Just rolled the eyes, saying I will "bikejacked".

In all fairness it's valid comment, but can happen anywhere. How do you keep the one eye open during the day, lunch and breakfast and so on.

If asked this question on the other post on commuting also.

In your minds what is a too far commute??

I only do 10km one way. I take any detour possible to strech this a bit. 30km would be a nice ride.

I remember the first time I did the run - I really was nervous. That first one was a big thing for me, and I felt a sense of achievement when I had made it back to the office that first Friday morning ready to start the day. Now it's pretty routine - in fact, by the time 4pm rolls around I can't concentrate from the anticipation of the ride :thumbup:

Yeh - mine too!! Had built up in my mind to be quite a daunting task - but it's just a bike ride - just maybe on a route you'd not choose, given the choice.

Once your system is sorted, it's no real hassle - jump on and go.

Thanks for in-depth reply.

I have the same problem, spoke to the wife about the commuting option. Just rolled the eyes, saying I will "bikejacked".

In all fairness it's valid comment, but can happen anywhere. How do you keep the one eye open during the day, lunch and breakfast and so on.

Re. the bikejacking concern: I have pepper spray in my one back pocket and the phone (plus a R50 note) inside its hard case in the other pocket. Everything else in the backpack. I figure that if I'm attacked, I can first try the pepper spray. If that doesn't work, I just leave my bike with them and run (it's fully insured, will just get another one). If they get hold of my backpack, I've got my phone and money on me to get help. Anyway, I don't know what it's like your side of the world, but I've never felt any sense of threat when I'm on the road.

Re. keeping awake at the office: actually the endorphins will keep you on a high until lunch time, when you might experience a bit of a crash. Again, if it's Friday it's not too serious. Also, I have a stock of 'Boost' energy drinks in my office (R7 a can at my local Spar). If I need to pull one out at lunch I will.

Re. the bikejacking concern: I have pepper spray in my one back pocket and the phone (plus a R50 note) inside its hard case in the other pocket. Everything else in the backpack. I figure that if I'm attacked, I can first try the pepper spray. If that doesn't work, I just leave my bike with them and run (it's fully insured, will just get another one). If they get hold of my backpack, I've got my phone and money on me to get help. Anyway, I don't know what it's like your side of the world, but I've never felt any sense of threat when I'm on the road.

Re. keeping awake at the office: actually the endorphins will keep you on a high until lunch time, when you might experience a bit of a crash. Again, if it's Friday it's not too serious. Also, I have a stock of 'Boost' energy drinks in my office (R7 a can at my local Spar). If I need to pull one out at lunch I will.

Tombeej....

You tough on something very relevant, the mental side of it. You have get yourself mentally tough, at this moment I think it's the route home, it's very "hilly". And also you don't have a deadline to get back home, say 5 PM as where with work you have 8 am/9 am.

Do you use MTB or Road bike?

Edited by DamMTBer