Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Another Commuter Top Tip:

Office shoes are the most bulky piece of clothing, so I leave them in the office.

I use to pack all my work clothes in my bag, but over the past few months I have learnt to leave extra socks, undies & shirts in my drawer - always nice to have backups.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The dark art of the trackstand. Eish. I can't whistle. I can't dive into a pool. I can't trackstand.

Tombeej, I have to go up 9 floors in the lift in my kit. Except for all the perplexed looks, I AT LEAST once a week get the You cycle to work? question. Unfortunately I'm not witty or funny enough to come up with a good reply, so just smile...have now started climbing the stairs. I consider it cross training.

i leave towel, shoes, suit, ties, cufflinks, spare undies, toiletries all in my office, the only thing i carry with me on the bike every day is a clean shirt and spare tube/levers.

I think it comes from my days of commuting by bike in London and being involved in something called "SCR" Silly Commuter Racing (you can check it out on the bikeradar forums).

Sorry Dude! I've also had a wheel wiped out by an a---hole. Small price to pay for your life and health. Glad you're OK.

Cheers man, was just a case of the taxi driver edging to close to the kerb because he wanted to take a filter lane further up. We had a good few words but both of us calmed down a bit.

To be fair, more often than not it's Taxis that give me the most consideration I've found.

Fortunately I pretty much work for myself, so work hours aren't exactly standard.

To be fair, more often than not it's Taxis that give me the most consideration I've found.

i tend to find that the dude hanging out the passenger side window is always good for a chat as well :)

What about holding onto the side of cars / trucks / taxis at stops so you don't have to unclip? Bit skaam myself, but sometimes if there is a truck or van to hold onto I will (given lack of pole for support)

What about holding onto the side of cars / trucks / taxis at stops so you don't have to unclip? Bit skaam myself, but sometimes if there is a truck or van to hold onto I will (given lack of pole for support)

Always consider that but if a cyclist were to lean on my car I would give them a mouthful so rather don't. Respect others property.

Always consider that but if a cyclist were to lean on my car I would give them a mouthful so rather don't. Respect others property.

Like that Fiat ad from a few years back. Who was the Hubber who was in that again? Having to fall over and over and over ...

the answer you're looking for is "trackstand"

That and Wheelies, I am skill-less

come on track stands easy.

i travell 15 odd k's to work, and the only time i unclip is when I'm outside the office door.

uphills the easiest to track stand..

although i did try trackstanding on my fixie the otherday and well lets just say i'm glad i didnt shake hands with the ground

Friend joined me for his first commute in today. Was amazed at the good quality of the cyce lane! Seems to have been cleaned this weekend. Even some new lines. He loved it...already looking forward to this arvie.

• 2 weeks later...