Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Never take it for granted that the Cycle lane will be clear of obstacles. Some M..F.. left a dry tree branch in the cycle lane opp Woodbridge primary, inside the bush was a plank with nails sticking out.Saw it to late as I had the beam on flashing and went OTB in slow mo.Good start to a Tues morning 5AM

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycling in poor light conditions will always be more risky.  As the day start to get shorter here I am sure I will be updating here on some OTB moments soon.

• 2 weeks later...

While it's certainly not summer in Cape Town yet, things have started to turn. I'm in the "Do I need arm warmers?" grey zone right now, and can't wait for my first arm warmer free ride into work.

And this also means more time after to work to ride bikes!

I've been hit by 2 side mirrors within a week, twice on narrow roads... I usually ride in the middle of the road when it's narrow but that's not always possible as you may get moered by a taxi or a bus. 

At least both drivers slowed down and apologised - but scary they didn't do this intentionally!! I won't mention the gender ;) 

Changing to semislicks from off road on your daily  commuter does wonders for strava  PB (Personal Best) segments - even when off road 

:thumbup:  :clap:

What did you put on?

I commute(50% road, 50% pavement/dirt sidewalk) on a 26' HT and have always run maxxis crossmark front and rear. I recently got new tyres from CRC at a good deal(crossmark rear and ranchero front) but I saw some semi slicks and was wondering if I should try them out.

What did you put on?

I commute(50% road, 50% pavement/dirt sidewalk) on a 26' HT and have always run maxxis crossmark front and rear. I recently got new tyres from CRC at a good deal(crossmark rear and ranchero front) but I saw some semi slicks and was wondering if I should try them out.

My commute is around the same %'s road / dirt as yours and also on a 26'HT. I normally use mtb tyres (Larsen TT back, Slant 6 front) but have also used semi slicks. The difference using the semi slicks is huge wrt times and effort with just a little more care required when off  the road. Give it a try if you can.

Edited by Beattbox

What did you put on?

My commute is around the same %'s road / dirt as yours. I normally use mtb tyres (Larsen TT back, Slant 6 front) but have also used semi slicks. The difference using the semi slicks is huge wrt times and effort with just a little more care required when off  the road. Give it a try if you can.

I have slicks on my rigid 26". The ride is very hard on the sidewalk/gauteng rocky dirt. I've been wondering whether I shouldn't go with a crossmark up front (have a spare) for more grip and less of a hard ride.

Edited by Belgarath

What did you put on?

Howzit!

I commute on a 26er. I use the braamfontein spruit 2 or 3 times a week.

the semi-slicks were some cheap chinese make ... I think it was R125 per tire... width is 1.5

I converted them to tubeless with stans ... I had to raise the inside height of the rim with insulation tape to make the fit tight, and then a tubeless rim strip like "joes" or the ghetto version which is a cut 24inch tube.

I am still getting used to off ride ride .. lots of slippery stuff on the loose gravel. ... lots of fun tho ..

I recommend it though if you commuting ... it rolls faster - as least 2-5km/ph with no extra effort.

It dropped the ride height of the crank - so it makes pavement hoping a little bit more interesting - crank arms always have to be level now ... because one foot down bottoms out on the transition ...

If you ride ss or fixie, don't forget spanners for your back axle in case of punctures ...

Bugger it. Anyway, I've tested the Serfas claim of FPS Flat Protection System, or whatever it's called. Riding with a flat back wheel from Pinelands to Rondebosch, standing up and leaning over the front wheel. We'll see if it worked ...

Some new lessons learnt:

• I need a new bib. My ass is killing me.
  • People joining the main road from the side street at the yield sign sees a gap between cars... not me on my bike with two flashing white lights at the front, a real bright red led at the back, headlamp and high visibility not-getting-laid-tonight jacket. When pointed out the fact that I almost became a grease smear on his door, his reply was "Sorry, didn't see you there" :ph34r:
  • I need a new bib. My toes are going numb.
  • Fountains Wind Tunnel Valley is a biatch in August. It blows North in the morning, South in the afternoon. Guess which way I'm traveling... :blink:
  • I. Need. A. New. Bloody. Bib.

• 3 weeks later...

so yesterday this idiot runs over main road with this big rectangular parcel half over his shoulder into the bike lane 2m in front of me! so i swerve into the road (not much, just the otherside of the line) and the fool steps back and the parcel knocks me full on in the face nearly knocking us both down. i can hardly see but manage to stay upright and move to the pavement as the blood comes gushing out my right nostril.

the arsehole loads the van and drives off! not a sorry or to see if i need help ;(

had to block my nose and ride to work, monster headache ensues...

luckily i had been riding slower as i realised earlier my breaks were ineffective, otherwise we both could of ended up worse off - or i would of missed him completely.

at the LBS i had to explain to the technician sorting out my breaks what the blood was from. alot of interested people to see this bloody, muddy-ed up fold up.

one positive though, i got to leave early and even got a lift to the LBS :)

• 2 weeks later...

After not having ridden a bike for over 5 years I have been commuting by bike since February this year, only missed one ride home and subsequent trip back to work the next day. I can't believe I didn't ride for so long, it's done wonders for me! I'm just short of 50 (just) and although I've surfed since I was about 8 years old and am in good physical condition riding makes me feel young like nothing else.

I work in the restaurant industry so my commuting is a mix of midday and midnight riding, not your usual sort of times but the best part of riding to work is that I get to ride home again. I've had some epic moonlight rides along the beachfront, almost like I'm in my own little world.

I would try and encourage more people to do it but I quite like the fact of having the streets to myself at night. Not only have I learnt about myself but the reality of the world and country we live in by exploring the streets.

Out of interest I raced as an licensed amateur in the late 80s and 90s, have a pile of older bikes and parts, now ride a 1 X 9 setup 26 MTB with full slicks and an old school Marzochi shock, building a singlespeed 26 MTB with full slicks and for those that know old mountain bikes have a 91 Bridgestone MB 0 with original mavic parts that is going to be a fixie.

Looking forward to Amashova in 3 weeks, 1st race since 94.7 MTB and road race in 2005, i'm a little nervous.

At least I've got the endurance to get to the finish thanks to commuting.   

After not having ridden a bike for over 5 years I have been commuting by bike since February this year, only missed one ride home and subsequent trip back to work the next day. I can't believe I didn't ride for so long, it's done wonders for me! I'm just short of 50 (just) and although I've surfed since I was about 8 years old and am in good physical condition riding makes me feel young like nothing else.

I work in the restaurant industry so my commuting is a mix of midday and midnight riding, not your usual sort of times but the best part of riding to work is that I get to ride home again. I've had some epic moonlight rides along the beachfront, almost like I'm in my own little world.

I would try and encourage more people to do it but I quite like the fact of having the streets to myself at night. Not only have I learnt about myself but the reality of the world and country we live in by exploring the streets.

Out of interest I raced as an licensed amateur in the late 80s and 90s, have a pile of older bikes and parts, now ride a 1 X 9 setup 26 MTB with full slicks and an old school Marzochi shock, building a singlespeed 26 MTB with full slicks and for those that know old mountain bikes have a 91 Bridgestone MB 0 with original mavic parts that is going to be a fixie.

Looking forward to Amashova in 3 weeks, 1st race since 94.7 MTB and road race in 2005, i'm a little nervous.

At least I've got the endurance to get to the finish thanks to commuting.   

Very nice first post Mark. Welcome!