Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

This doesn't happen in Cape Town (even though I really wish it would)

http://40.media.tumblr.com/5d9e3f405c9f1936ff10ffa0f104de89/tumblr_nknckbm7sl1rtmbyoo1_500.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally i totally agree, however I'm coming down with flu so the last two mornings i have been stuck in a car in the traffic. its torture. especially this morning when the robots were out. :cursing:

My route into Sandton: 1h30 by car... 40 min by bike.  Winning.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterdays commute home was not lekker for me. 

1) Saw two guys have a bit of a scuffle in the street because of road rage.

2) got stuck in some hectic rain and lightening storm

3) Saw a dog get hit by a car

Worst commute experience so far. 

Yesterdays commute home was not lekker for me. 

1) Saw two guys have a bit of a scuffle in the street because of road rage.

2) got stuck in some hectic rain and lightening storm

3) Saw a dog get hit by a car

Worst commute experience so far. 

That sucks. Probably still better than driving though...

I did not commute this morning and it turned out to be a perfect Durban day for it. Now I feel very mediocre sitting behind my desk.

This doesn't happen in Cape Town (even though I really wish it would)

http://40.media.tumblr.com/5d9e3f405c9f1936ff10ffa0f104de89/tumblr_nknckbm7sl1rtmbyoo1_500.jpg

Sorry for you ...... but witness this often, very often!

Sorry for you ...... but witness this often, very often!

I'm obviously riding around the wrong parts of Cape Town (southern suburbs).

Had a meeting in Sea Point last week and saw the hottest lady riding to her Yoga class. I need to get a job in the CBD again!

I'm obviously riding around the wrong parts of Cape Town (southern suburbs).

Had a meeting in Sea Point last week and saw the hottest lady riding to her Yoga class. I need to get a job in the CBD again!

CBD, but more so Green Point!

My office is in Green Point, opposite a very busy Yoga Studio.........oh, I have a window seat.

Commuting: Always stop and help riders with mechanical's, one day they might stop and help you in return, or at least end up riding together and strengthening the commuting community.

Absolutely, "Pay it forward" has to be a key motto for commuting.

CBD, but more so Green Point!

My office is in Green Point, opposite a very busy Yoga Studio.........oh, I have a window seat.

Actually managed our restaurant on Sea Point Main Road for a while (Mama Tembo's Cafe) and I must say talent riding and walking by was a welcome distraction :D

It's interesting - I have a somewhat different attitude towards people who are unprepared for a planned weekend ride vs. someone trying to get to work (or home from work).

I get pretty irritated with someone who hasn't come prepared on a weekend ride. Especially if I have to fork out my own tools/spares for them.

But I know exactly what it's like to have forgotten something on a commute and the inevitable mechanical happens. Murphys Law says it has to happen in the rain, or on the day you woke up late and are rushing to get to the office on time (that will be the day you get 2 punctures after 6 months without problems). I find that I don't think twice about happily handing out tubes/spares to other commuters. Makes my day too. 

Some great advice from Adrienne Lotdeux

11049352_808636745881974_742719752_n.jpg

#lotdeux: Commuter Sunday | want the secret to lean? Get a bike between your legs! you don’t have to fully kit up and spend thousands on a race bike, my best advice if you haven’t ridden or don’t have a bike - GET A BIKE FIT. This is most important! Any reputable bikeshop will fit you up before selling to you - one of the biggest reason people stop riding? They spend $400 on a bike off the internet that doesn’t fit them correctly and it’s uncomfortable as F*ck! Nek minut the bikes on gumtree or collecting dust in the garage. Don’t WASTE your money INVEST it in your health, well being and being RAD to the earth all at the same time cause #babesridebikes and they #burnfatnotoil and #carbthef*ckup

Some great advice from Adrienne Lotdeux

11049352_808636745881974_742719752_n.jpg

#lotdeux: Commuter Sunday | want the secret to lean? Get a bike between your legs! you don’t have to fully kit up and spend thousands on a race bike, my best advice if you haven’t ridden or don’t have a bike - GET A BIKE FIT. This is most important! Any reputable bikeshop will fit you up before selling to you - one of the biggest reason people stop riding? They spend $400 on a bike off the internet that doesn’t fit them correctly and it’s uncomfortable as F*ck! Nek minut the bikes on gumtree or collecting dust in the garage. Don’t WASTE your money INVEST it in your health, well being and being RAD to the earth all at the same time cause #babesridebikes and they #burnfatnotoil and #carbthef*ckup

very nice ... pity RE the earphones ...