Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

aahhhmmm .... you know we leave the vet opposite bayside at 6:45am ... #JUSTSAYING #JOINUSSOMETIME

Awesome, thanks dude. Average speed? 

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, thanks dude.

average speed = to the social content of the day :)

around 25km/hour and chatting

The one thing I learnt recently was that its quicker to cycle from Century City to Mowbray than it is to deal with M5 traffic at 5pm- shower included!

I'm new to this forum as you can see- be great to find the correct thread for this sort of beta

yeah thats the plan - to be honest they just look like a bunch of fun - i find the wind is my biggest turn off for riding. i reckon with a SS ill be forced to just go head down and turn the pedals - forget speed or pace or whatever other metrics that don't actually matter.

looking forward to it!!!!

Before someone mentions it, yeah, I know, Rule #5.

But... On my 60km commute, a single speed will only be in the right gear maybe 10% of the time. I bought an old bike for the commute, so I'm not wearing out my race bike.

Yes, what happened there? It looks like the CIA had a go at the place with a tankerful of agent orange!

I really don't know, sometimes all the plants go blue.

But it doesn't seem to affect the wildlife, the bright orange weavers are about and plenty of waterbirds building nests or forts or whatever they are.

Before someone mentions it, yeah, I know, Rule #5.

But... On my 60km commute, a single speed will only be in the right gear maybe 10% of the time. I bought an old bike for the commute, so I'm not wearing out my race bike.

a SS is never in the "right gear ratio", but is also always in the "perfect ratio" at all times.

I only do a 50km commute daily on my SS.

So i finally can start my commuting dreams. lost my job in benoni and stay in Pretoria so everywhere i go now can be done by bike. 

first week i though of using he road bike but on the roads here up north and 3 punctures i put the bike up for sale to get a tubeless cross bike. this will hopefully happen with in the next two weeks. 

what do you guys think?

i will start a youtube vlog on commuting in this city soon..

So i finally can start my commuting dreams. lost my job in benoni and stay in Pretoria so everywhere i go now can be done by bike. 

first week i though of using he road bike but on the roads here up north and 3 punctures i put the bike up for sale to get a tubeless cross bike. this will hopefully happen with in the next two weeks. 

what do you guys think?

HAVE you tried the Spez "armadillo" tyres with extra protection?  They are "supposed" to be puncture resistant and could solve your problem  

Another option is to go tubeless + slime...or slime yr tubes 

just random ideas

what do you guys think?

Keep the road bike - come race time you will be sad.

N+1... Even if that means an old clunker.

what do you guys think?

Well first of all sorry to hear about losing your job. I hope you have something lined up soon and closer to home so that you can commute to it.

I have effectively commuted in Pretoria through the CBD and surrounding areas for 14 years. I did not have problems with punctures often.  Normally as my tyres started getting worn I would start having problems.  Replace the tyres and the punctures would stop.  I did not go the whole slime and tubeless thing. I just carried extra tubes with me and tools required to replace a tube along the road. Had an extra pump at work to pump the tyre back up to 8 bar at work.

Cape Town cycle lane commuters... Anyone catching the bus through the dodgy area around Woodstock? I'm looking on going north in the morning, and south in the evening and was thinking of using MyCiti through there. Was looking for some info. TIA

And then it happened. .... I was taken out by a car this morning on my way to work.

I can say that I've never really been scared of that happening. Where and how it happened just makes it so much worse cause there was no way I thought anyone couldn't see me clearly. She jumped a round about claiming she didn't see me because of misty windows... I wasn't even going fast and was well into the circle that she actually side impacted me.

Guess this will mentally take a while to get over now.

And then it happened. .... I was taken out by a car this morning on my way to work.

I can say that I've never really been scared of that happening. Where and how it happened just makes it so much worse cause there was no way I thought anyone couldn't see me clearly. She jumped a round about claiming she didn't see me because of misty windows... I wasn't even going fast and was well into the circle that she actually side impacted me.

Terrible news. Hope the injuries aren't to bad?