Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to take the motorbike to work from now on. Car is leaking water out of the block so now I need to use my bike to see clients.

And just when I thought I was getting back into it.

????

Hi there

I started cycling again after two years off the bike, feel so stupid for stopping. My Giant XTC 26r just never gelled with me and I always had aches and pains, so I sold it to a girl that wanted to start cycling and bought myself a Red GT Zaskar Comp 29er. It is a lovely bike. Our offices moved to Paarden Eiland(now we have a shower) and I absolutely hate the traffic in the car, so from today I started commuting by bicycle, the commute by bicycle is twice as fast as by car. It is 13,5km(Welgelegen/Panorama - PE) one way, but I will be extending it in the morning as I get fitter, took me 30 min this morning.

Loved reading this thread with all its advice, my one philosophy with being on the road, be it by foot, bicycle or car is to think for everyone else and you wil be safe! Keep them eyes open

Darrell

I want to start commuting again, especially with the petrol increase coming tomorrow.

Unfortunately still incapacitated so can't just yet. Hopefully in a few more weeks I can venture out again.

Welcome Darrell. Enjoy the commute. I too like most of us that commute hate traffic, hence commuting.

Getting my car back today. Can't wait till tomorrow. The I can get back on the commute route again. Will have a joll as it takes me longer with the motorbike to get home than with my bicycle

I learned today to have a (frozen) water bottle in my throwing hand at a certain intersection on my route to work. I swear that if another car runs the light after it's green for ME, he/she will get a 500g ice block through his/her windscreen.

I learned today to have a (frozen) water bottle in my throwing hand at a certain intersection on my route to work. I swear that if another car runs the light after it's green for ME, he/she will get a 500g ice block through his/her windscreen.

Hahaha... have to remember that one!

I just learned to look left and right at a green light. Light went green for me, I began cycling across and midway through the intersection a garden services van with a trailer skipped the red light and missed me by around four feet. Seriously, how long must his light have been red for me to have made it halfway across the intersection on a green light?

A none frozen water bottle does wonders for the side mirrors .... trust me.

I just learned to look left and right at a green light. Light went green for me, I began cycling across and midway through the intersection a garden services van with a trailer skipped the red light and missed me by around four feet. Seriously, how long must his light have been red for me to have made it halfway across the intersection on a green light?

It's happened to me at least 3 times in the last few months and I do anticipate it (hence I am still breathing), but it still makes me fume. I am sure these drivers will think twice before jumping a red light after having to replace some automotive glass.......

It's happened to me at least 3 times in the last few months and I do anticipate it (hence I am still breathing), but it still makes me fume. I am sure these drivers will think twice before jumping a red light after having to replace some automotive glass.......

I would actually like to try riding road, I really would, but what I've seen during my commutes has put me off it completely.

i'M THINKING OF GETTING A ROAD BIKE FOR RACES (OR IN MY CASE RIDES). BUT THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT I WILL GET ON THE ROAD WITH IT FOR TRAINING, RATHER TRAIN ON MY MTB AND WHEN THE ROADS ARE CLOSED FOR A RACE THEN USE IT.

eish, not cool.