Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Had to take the car in today. Sitting in the howling wind and rain just after 7, Paarden island, thinking no-one will ride in today...so, past comes a guy on red and black Spez, blue and yellow? shorts...respect dude.

I just wanted to ask about your ride...

As consolation, even the harbour is shut down

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was cold

It was wet

It was windy

it was lonely

It was not fun

But come this afternoon when the ICC has the home expo going...I will be smiling cycling past all the vehicles like yesterday.

It was cold

It was wet

It was windy

it was lonely

It was not fun

But come this afternoon when the ICC has the home expo going...I will be smiling cycling past all the vehicles like yesterday.

My first trip from the Killarney side - left there at 8:30 got to Obs at 9:36. Got caught in a brief shower on Blaauwberg Road, but it didn't bother me because:

Top - 1 thick cottron vest, 1 shirt, 1 waistcoat, 1 jersey, 1 Capestorm jacket, 1 fleecy hoodie.

Bottom - 1 pair cycling shorts, 1 pair normal shorts.

Feet - 2 pairs socks, 1 pair Diadoras (the *** part is going to be putting them on again to go back).

The Colnago looks like *** and the gears sound sandy but ...

Otherwise ... I thought it was kiff bru! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by LeTurbo

Respect guys. Tough one today, and yes, come this arvie, if I didn't have to go to V&A after work I'd be stuck in that hellish traffic...work right next to ICC. Turbo, the idea is to carry your work and extra kit in a bag, not all on you at the same time ;-p Jokes aside, same setup, sans extra socks and shorts. I also add arm and knee warmers.

The ride yesterday home was not nice :( Got to a scene where a pedestrian was run over by a car and I presume he was dead. I saw traffic cops way down the road (about 1 Km). Went there and asked them to call for an ambulance over the radio (although I am convicened the oak is dead).

This is propably one of the down sides of commuting on bicycle. In the last couple of years this is the third time I got to a scene like this just after it happened. Normally in a car you tend to see less of this. I don't know why but this is how it feels to me. Yesterday was less disturbing as it was not as grusame as the previous two incidents.

I'm going to start comuting soon :) Just one question; How do you get your 'work' clothes to work without creasing them? Better to have some at work?

I commute home in the afternoons and back in the mornings, so I bring extra clothes and lunch along on the day I cycle home in the afternoons. It eliminates having to carry a heavy back pack with me and ensures that my rides can be proper training rides. I also have a car at the office and my wife's car at home if I need to go anywhere. You also are less inclined to bail out of a morning ride if your car is at the office already.

The ride yesterday home was not nice :( Got to a scene where a pedestrian was run over by a car and I presume he was dead. I saw traffic cops way down the road (about 1 Km). Went there and asked them to call for an ambulance over the radio (although I am convicened the oak is dead).

This is propably one of the down sides of commuting on bicycle. In the last couple of years this is the third time I got to a scene like this just after it happened. Normally in a car you tend to see less of this. I don't know why but this is how it feels to me. Yesterday was less disturbing as it was not as grusame as the previous two incidents.

True..On the West coast road you also see the effect that all those speeding cars have on the wildlife. I bet if they stuck to the 70 limit, 80% of the animals including all those beautiful eagles would have been alive. "Oh look! A road where the cops don't trap. Let's see how fast we can go."

Interesting: 1:06 and 1:03 each way between Killarney Gardens & Obs.

By car, without much traffic: 45 minutes.

Hate to know what it's like in the rush (what a misnomer!) hour.

Interesting: 1:06 and 1:03 each way between Killarney Gardens & Obs.

By car, without much traffic: 45 minutes.

Hate to know what it's like in the rush (what a misnomer!) hour.

What route did you take?

gauteng dont have weather, we have climate - it's always sunny :)

ride through the spruit this afternoon was so nice, it's almost a sin to to call it 'training' :D

gauteng dont have weather, we have climate - it's always sunny :)

ride through the spruit this afternoon was so nice, it's almost a sin to to call it 'training' :D

Howz the journals of your travels coming along, I'm dying to read it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Howz the journals of your travels coming along, I'm dying to read it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

travelling is on ice for a few years, have to finish the darn studies first:(

but judging by the length of the to-do-after-studies list, it will take about 3 years to catch up ... i'll let you know when you can start reading - or better, still, when i need travel mates :D

travelling is on ice for a few years, have to finish the darn studies first:(

but judging by the length of the to-do-after-studies list, it will take about 3 years to catch up ... i'll let you know when you can start reading - or better, still, when i need travel mates :D

Darn those studies, seem to be the curse of me at the moment. If you don't mind me asking cat-i what are you studying?

If you ever deceide on another adventure, please include me for two :thumbup: ;) ;)