Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

That the milfs walking / running on Boyes Drive always try and stop me just to say "Hi"... breaking my rhythm on the climbs :thumbdown:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That the milfs walking / running on Boyes Drive always try and stop me just to say "Hi"... breaking my rhythm on the climbs :thumbdown:

where's Boyes Drive again?

Edited by The OriginalSpartacus

where's Boyes Drive again? :lol:

Sheesh mach, you must be one good looking cyclist to get stopped! Hehe.

Ibruegge, have a few showers here at work, mostly for kitchen, cleaning staff, but in perfect condition. Maybe ask if your building has? You member at a gym?

Would love to commute by bike, but have two issues:

- scared to death, therefore hesitant to start on my own : anyone commuting Edgemead to CBD (Cpt that is...)

- hygiene : do all of you have showers at work, how do you do it?

Thanks

Yip. Have a shower. Would not commute if I did not have. I do around 23 - 45 kilos in the morning, depending on how I feel. I do need a shower after that. Especially after being off the bike for a while now.

Double decker buses are painted RED so they can be seen easier. The RED however does not mean the driver can see you unsure.gif

THat is why you stay behind them and motorpace :devil: Especially double decker busses. They do not accelerate as fast as normal busses. Just remember they do stop so keep a safe distance ;)

Yes, ideally clothes all waiting for you at the office when you get there. Helps if you have an office. If not, and you have no private place to store clothes, follow the format that some of us do: drive in to work and leave the car there, then your first ride is the one home that evening. Next day, up early and back into the office. The car is waiting for you there (with bag of clothes & toiletries). Depending on how fit you are, and how far from home you work, you can start this once a week, building up to multiple times.

I usually have a few sets of everything at the office (jocks, socks, shirts, belt, pants, etc.) to make sure I don't forget something.

With commuting, preparation makes or breaks it all.

Coll thanks man! Fortunatly I can leave every thing at work. Will do my first coMMute this friday! :)

- hygiene : do all of you have showers at work, how do you do it?

Thanks

have shower now - was the first question i asked when i was at the interview :)

didn't have a last place, possible but difficult to get clean and wash hair (helmet hair & all) in a basin ... much better now :)

Coll thanks man! Fortunatly I can leave every thing at work. Will do my first coMMute this friday! :)

Good luck for tomorrow.

Don't pull out now :thumbup:

have shower now - was the first question i asked when i was at the interview :)

didn't have a last place, possible but difficult to get clean and wash hair (helmet hair & all) in a basin ... much better now :)

I have asked this at my last two practices before joining ... one prior to this lot built me shower :)

Another thing I've learned: cold wind is worse than cold water, and things become hard to find when you need a wee after the ride. Quite amazing how small it can shrink.

I keep a couple hangars and a spray bottle at the office, one to four mix of fabric softener and water. Give it a shake and just spritz a mist onto the creases if any.

Yesterday I used the car but took the bike with the view of riding home in the eve, after our night ride. When I got back in the office after being out I realised I never packed riding shorts, so the jean pants got the snip and I was good to go. :blush:

I keep a couple hangars and a spray bottle at the office, one to four mix of fabric softener and water. Give it a shake and just spritz a mist onto the creases if any.

Yesterday I used the car but took the bike with the view of riding home in the eve, after our night ride. When I got back in the office after being out I realised I never packed riding shorts, so the jean pants got the snip and I was good to go. :blush:

Nice dedication. :thumbup:

Still trying to warm up to the idea of commuting again, after doing it for so loooooong while in London. Owning a car is a novelty for me again.

A great thing I learnt from commuting is that vaseline is your friend in the cold. A thin layer on the face helped to keep the face from freezing stiff in Winter.

wow, great idea - thx!

Had to take the car in today. Sitting in the howling wind and rain just after 7, Paarden island, thinking no-one will ride in today...so, past comes a guy on red and black Spez, blue and yellow? shorts...respect dude.