Complete Rip off

akneethling

Cmon, it is what it is...a convenient park in the heart of the northern suburbs that you can ride to from your house. Yes the trails are not long but they are flippen great fun and technically right up there...it gets maintained and have all the facilities for swambo and kidos to enjoy their day as well. I go there often and dont try to do "training" there, but rather go for a fun day. Go with that mindset, pay 50 bucks and leave with a smile whilst riding home on your bike. Nuff said

:thumbup: Agreed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cmon, it is what it is...a convenient park in the heart of the northern suburbs that you can ride to from your house. Yes the trails are not long but they are flippen great fun and technically right up there...it gets maintained and have all the facilities for swambo and kidos to enjoy their day as well. I go there often and dont try to do "training" there, but rather go for a fun day. Go with that mindset, pay 50 bucks and leave with a smile whilst riding home on your bike. Nuff said

It's only convenient if you live in the northern suburbs. Otherwise its a 20 minute schlep with the possibility of getting stuck in traffic and R50 for a mediocre ride.

I guess what I am saying, is that if I have to drive somewhere to ride my bike, I want a good experience. I don't think MTN Bike Park qualifies as that.

Even with all that money coming into the Golf Clubs they still can't run at a profit, I doubt these Bike Parks are making massive profits though.

Yeah, some of them, those along the Garden route it seems are struggling, but its more the developers who have gone bottom up due to the economy.

Old established clubs like the Johannesburg Country Club, Dainfern and so on are very popular and very well established. To get into the restaurant at Johannesburg club on a weekend you need to book 4 weeks in advance and that's with member priorities.

It's only convenient if you live in the northern suburbs. Otherwise its a 20 minute schlep with the possibility of getting stuck in traffic and R50 for a mediocre ride.

I guess what I am saying, is that if I have to drive somewhere to ride my bike, I want a good experience. I don't think MTN Bike Park qualifies as that.

Sheesh, suddenly I'm appreciating Cape Town a bit more. :D

That's subjective, I guess. I like the trails at the bike park: Ewok, Space Junk, Zombie and Dropzone being amongst my faves.

I also like the fact that it is a safe venue. I take my kids there, and I can ride with them or go off on my own, knowing that they'll be safe*.

*That's not to say that Rietvlei, Groenies, etc aren't safe, but I wouldn't let them go off on gtheir own there.

Jonkershoek is R220/annum. Pay that with a smile.

can't agree more!

and another odd R600 for Tygerberg MTB Club and you have access to 4/5 well maintained tracks/trails for a year still under a grand!

just love the WC!

I lived up Gauteng for a while and I really feel sorry for the MTB'ers

Get real.

Ride twice a week for 50 weeks and you pay R16 per session. Where else can you get a couple of hours entertainment for that price.

Find something else to whinge about apart from some guys trying to run a decent business...

:thumbup: +1

Mtn Bike Park is Awesome, and if I still lived in jhb I would pay the annual fee with a smile.

When I visit the family in pta I always make sure to load the bike bag on the plane and I hit groenies, rietvlei and Mtn bike park at least once during the visit.

The Mtn bike park is a place where you can hone your skills, and if you rip on a lekker trail bike you will have lots of fun over there! The ride there is not mediocre at all

Seattle Coffee afterwards is also good.

It's only convenient if you live in the northern suburbs. Otherwise its a 20 minute schlep with the possibility of getting stuck in traffic and R50 for a mediocre ride.I guess what I am saying, is that if I have to drive somewhere to ride my bike, I want a good experience. I don't think MTN Bike Park qualifies as that.

Funny, but the park makes me feel like a kid again. Wanting to jump stuff the whole time and railing berms faster and faster. My base / cardio training rides like Breedts doesnt do that for me, there it is serious riding, churning out the miles with certain goals in mind...what I would like to say is: Sometimes its lekker to just not care about the cadence / speed / heart rate zones. Here is a tip...leave bike computer at home and try and jump a gap you haven't tried at full speed...get it right and I guarantee a smile...that is why I love the bike park

That's subjective, I guess. I like the trails at the bike park: Ewok, Space Junk, Zombie and Dropzone being amongst my faves.

cut cut cut

Zombie birdhouse is my fav, I can do it over and over and over.

can't agree more!

and another odd R600 for Tygerberg MTB Club and you have access to 4/5 well maintained tracks/trails for a year still under a grand!

just love the WC!

Shussssh Peter! Dammit man, we don't want them all to come here. Erm... to all Vaalies, please ignore Mr Griffin's comments. He is clearly delusional. There is no riding to be had in the Western Cape area. You are much better off riding your local bike parks.

can't agree more!

just love the WC!

Thanks for your concern Peter, but we don't need your pity here in Gauteng. We have a wide enough variety of trails to ride in order to keep us happy. There are quite a few people that work very hard to keep us city folk entertained on the weekends. Gautengaleng is definitely what you make of it..

If it's too expensive why not just go somewhere cheaper? Posting whiny threads here is not going to make the price come down. Last time I checked we lived in a free market economy and nobody is required to patronise any particular set of trails.