Complete Rip off

akneethling

That's been replaced by Course Grounds.

You just convinced me to organise a trip for the last weekend in September. Gotta try out the new sections and the new coffee!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm terribly, terribly confused (common condition for me, but nevertheless).

MTB = Multi-Terrain bike. But you guys want manicured trails, smooth paths, no dongas, sweeping curves ... isn't that rather contrary? Where's your sense of adventure; of conquering new territory? Where is the intrepid spirit of the Voortrekkers, crossing vast unexplored lands?

I think you're all just roadies at heart.

You just convinced me to organise a trip for the last weekend in September. Gotta try out the new sections and the new coffee!

:thumbup: Give us a shout when you're here and maybe we can get some hubbers there.

MTB = Multi-Terrain bike. But you guys want manicured trails, smooth paths, no dongas, sweeping curves ... isn't that rather contrary? Where's your sense of adventure; of conquering new territory? Where is the intrepid spirit of the Voortrekkers, crossing vast unexplored lands?

There are trails at the Voortrekker Monument. :thumbup:

Actually it's called a mountain bike. Here in SA people don't know what it is used for. They think you put bar-end on a trail bike and it's okay for the road. They put on second and 3rd bottle cages on XC machines and want to do epic adventures.

I'm terribly, terribly confused (common condition for me, but nevertheless).MTB = Multi-Terrain bike. But you guys want manicured trails, smooth paths, no dongas, sweeping curves ... isn't that rather contrary? Where's your sense of adventure; of conquering new territory? Where is the intrepid spirit of the Voortrekkers, crossing vast unexplored lands?I think you're all just roadies at heart.

Have you seen the state of our roads...it qualifies as "multi-terrain" to me :rolleyes:

:thumbup: Give us a shout when you're here and maybe we can get some hubbers there.

yea, Hub-Park ride...sweeeeeet :thumbup:

Actually it's called a mountain bike. Here in SA people don't know what it is used for. They think you put bar-end on a trail bike and it's okay for the road. They put on second and 3rd bottle cages on XC machines and want to do epic adventures.

Most of the okes buy a MOUNTAIN bike and then do DIRT ROAD riding with it. I just don't get it. But nou ja, I guess people buy Land Rovers and then they use it for their daily commute to the coffee shop. It's a sick world we live in.

it's really hard to compare apples with apples, as the facilities and ride distance and quality is always going to differ.

I've done a quick tally on day pass, yearly pass and the amount of trips you'd need to make to justify going for a yearly ticket.

MTN bikepark:R50 R1600..32

giba gorge:R40? R840 22

groenkloof:R25 R600....24

rietvlei:R25 R900...36

tokai: R30 R280...10

oak valley: R30 R300?..10

bottelary:R30? R280..10

jonkershoek:R25 R220 9

tygerberg mtb:R30? R600 24(but covers multiple properties)

I haven't been round the country as much as some, but i think your R30 at oak valley or welvanpas is only going to be rivalled in bang for buck terms in the kzn midlands.

Most of the okes buy a MOUNTAIN bike and then do DIRT ROAD riding with it. I just don't get it.

it's not only about the singletrack. I went on a ride the other day that was 90% dirt road (and 10% insane rocky downhill) - my point is that the 90% dirt road took me to somewhere that was in the middle of nowhere with a view for kilometers. No harm in that at all!

Edited by Stretch

Just an example, arrived at bike park this morning, my riding mates were AWOL, one just had an anterior cervical discectomy so out for 4 months, other doing naf intervals in the gym, other looking for his dog. So arrived on my own, hooked up with the trail builder, and had the most awesome ride in a contained safe area, on sweet flowing great condition singletrack . All good till we rode past what I'm sure was a mamba. Then shower and off to work.

Point is the 200 bucks per month I pay for whole family membership to me is well worth it given what's on offer at Giba. :thumbup:

it's not only about the singletrack. I went on a ride the other day that was 90% dirt road (and 10% insane rocky downhill) - my point is that the 90% dirt road took me to somewhere that was in the middle of nowhere with a view for kilometers. No harm in that at all!

No problemo boet. I agree with you, it's not only about singetrack (although it should be a big part ;)).

All we're saying is, there are guys out there (and there are lots of 'em) who buy mtbikes and never venture into types of terrain that even remotely tests the capabilities of their bikes. And that is just sad, because there's a whole adrenaline filled world just waiting to be explored on these fantastic machines. And if you don't use it, then I'm afraid your just wasting your hard earned mula.

it does not matter what i am 'at heart'.

what matters for me is that i get the most enjoyment i can out of my bike. without too high a risk of getting mugged.

commuting to work does it for me - so does manicured trails, smooth paths, no dongas. some of the best riding i've done was on cattletrack on ride 2 rhodes, and non-tracks in lesotho - but even if i had the leave to do ride2thosed, translesotho, joberg2c every year ... but where do i ride on all the other days?

Edited by cat-i

can't agree more!

and another odd R600 for Tygerberg MTB Club and you have access to 4/5 well maintained tracks/trails for a year still under a grand!

just love the WC!

I lived up Gauteng for a while and I really feel sorry for the MTB'ers

rietvlei, with some seriously fun tracks, some technical stuff, and some gnarly downhills.

groenkloof, where you get to cycle with zebra and giraffe. fountains just next door if you have energy left. (dont miss fountains, it's huge fun)

mtn bikepark with fun singletracks and some technical tracks, depending on what you feel like learning for the day.

king's kloof, where you can learn to ride downhills (or test your medical aid's boundaries :o )

van gaalens - daggapad, it doesn't get much better than that

voortrekker, if you get bored of the smooth trails at fountains

then there's all the free places: the D&D rides every thursday night, outrides fro the epic shoppie (and several others) on saturdays, commuting to work throught he spruit (how lucky can you get?) ...

naah, i think we're ok for now - as it is, there's too many places to ride and too few weekends.

ok, teak place recently closed down, so i guess you do have to feel sorry for us :P

rietvlei, with some seriously fun tracks, some technical stuff, and some gnarly downhills.

groenkloof, where you get to cycle with zebra and giraffe. fountains just next door if you have energy left. (dont miss fountains, it's huge fun)

mtn bikepark with fun singletracks and some technical tracks, depending on what you feel like learning for the day.

king's kloof, where you can learn to ride downhills (or test your medical aid's boundaries :o )

van gaalens - daggapad, it doesn't get much better than that

voortrekker, if you get bored of the smooth trails at fountains

then there's all the free places: the D&D rides every thursday night, outrides fro the epic shoppie (and several others) on saturdays, commuting to work throught he spruit (how lucky can you get?) ...

naah, i think we're ok for now - as it is, there's too many places to ride and too few weekends.

ok, teak place recently closed down, so i guess you do have to feel sorry for us :P

Add Thaba, which is opening this weekend. :thumbup:

it's really hard to compare apples with apples, as the facilities and ride distance and quality is always going to differ.

I've done a quick tally on day pass, yearly pass and the amount of trips you'd need to make to justify going for a yearly ticket.

MTN bikepark:R50 R1600..32

giba gorge:R40? R840 22

groenkloof:R25 R600....24

rietvlei:R25 R900...36

tokai: R30 R280...10

oak valley: R30 R300?..10

bottelary:R30? R280..10

jonkershoek:R25 R220 9

tygerberg mtb:R30? R600 24(but covers multiple properties)

I haven't been round the country as much as some, but i think your R30 at oak valley or welvanpas is only going to be rivalled in bang for buck terms in the kzn midlands.

Forgot the best value for money one. (Voted one of the top 7 mtb tracks in the Western Cape by Bicyling Magazine)

Eselfontein R0.00 R0.00 (granted you have to go to Ceres 1.5 hours from Cape Town):)