Complete Rip off

akneethling

I agree!

Can you get a year pass for Oak Valley?

I believe you can...... Its somewhere around R500-R600. And it includes Night rides if you want......

But tackling those technical bits in the dark is another story....... and don't forget about the Bovine threat...... lol :rolleyes:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonkershoek R215 for one, R315 for a family per year. R25 per day. Great bargain. :D

The sad thing is though that there are still people sneaking in :(

Edited by JanMTB

Pleeeeeeze,pleeeeeeeze, don't let Mountainbiking go the golf way!

Come to think of it, with all the type A attitude, crowds, carbon and sponsored lycra I see on the mountain lately, it already has. All that was missing was a bike park/course. Soon there will be mountainbike housing estates!

I'm going to start riding higher up the mountain and further into the wilds to escape it all!

Mountainbike housing estate? Sounds like heaven! :clap: Cool idea

I'm going to start riding higher up the mountain and further into the wilds to escape it all!

Going to see you there... no way can I afford that. Make my own rides, take my chances.

as i said cant beat kzn midlands for value for money - if you want 100's km's of well maintained singletrack then howick trails = +- R200 per year, karkloof trails = +- R15 per day pass, hilton trails = R Free, cascades XC course = R Free and all other without maintained singltrack (although track still exists) = R FREE!! :thumbup:

Edited by Stretch

Try 5k upwards. Properly spensive game that thing. In for about 400 bucks a round. Great fun but costs zar

Yeah, 5k would be at the upper end for some of the better golf clubs but yeah, its not uncommon.

However one has to look at facilities on offer as well, as membership can include access to other first class amenities like Squash courts, Swimming pools, Gyms, Restaurants, Member lounges etc.

The upkeep of a PRO golf course is also Hellishly expensive, to repair, lay irrigation and upgrade a single green can cost up to a Bar (1 Million bucks) and every year they generally have to fix a few. Never mind the cost of daily irrigation, mowing and maintenance.

I don't know what's available at these bike parks as I don't go there, but I imagine its fairly basic, so maybe its not a fair comparison with a modern golf estate and club.

Bike park has coffee shop, toilets, burger stand, parking and security staff, staff for trails as well as those in the club house, then Riaan who manages the place, a wash area, deck area with umbrellas, large screen TV for cycling coverage.

That's besides all the trails with bridges, entrys and exits, the drainage, BMX track and medical staff on call and on site during weekends.

Yeah, piss poor for R1600.

I believe you can...... Its somewhere around R500-R600. And it includes Night rides if you want......

But tackling those technical bits in the dark is another story....... and don't forget about the Bovine threat...... lol :rolleyes:

I don't think it is even that much for Oak Valley. They security guard was selling yearly memberships for like R300 or R350 a while back, can't remember exactly but it was in the R300 range.

Schapenberg is around R150 a year, 6km from my house :thumbup:

Bike park has coffee shop, toilets, burger stand, parking and security staff, staff for trails as well as those in the club house, then Riaan who manages the place, a wash area, deck area with umbrellas, large screen TV for cycling coverage.

That's besides all the trails with bridges, entrys and exits, the drainage, BMX track and medical staff on call and on site during weekends.

Yeah, piss poor for R1600.

Tad sarcastic much! :lol:

Also the Bike Park is in a built-up area. That land ain't cheap. I will happily hand over R50 to visit the park just for the convenience.

Oh, ja, I recently won an annual plate, so I'm pretty chuffed. :P

Giba Gorge R840 for annual pass. Money well spent. Not sure I'll pay double though.

I'm loving it :thumbup: :thumbup: Excellant value, R1600 does seem a bit steep in comparison.

Just for interest sake: A golf membership can cost anything from R2k upwards per annum. And then you still have to pay Greenfees on top of that. I saw the coverage last night on Super Cycling. I'd like to give it a bash when I get around to it, Looks a bit too manicured for my liking though. Not sure it simulates technical riding in any of the big races, bar Sani 2 C

Even with all that money coming into the Golf Clubs they still can't run at a profit, I doubt these Bike Parks are making massive profits though.

R1600 for MTN Bike Park is very steep, especially when the quality of trail isn't that high. And you can't ride when you want to.

Considering Rietvlei as an alternative, R25 for a day pass, R150 for a 10 visit card and around R900 for year access, any time of the day or night (just arrange with Wendell), and trails that make you feel as if you are riding miles from any civilisation. That sort of feeling can't be beaten.

Despite the fact that I ride most trails in and around Gauteng, MTN Bike Park is the one I try and avoid because it doesn't feel like value for money to me. I would rather spend my money in diesel getting to Groenkloof or even Van Galens (outside Gauteng, I know) than spend it at MTN.

My 2c.

I don't think it is even that much for Oak Valley. They security guard was selling yearly memberships for like R300 or R350 a while back, can't remember exactly but it was in the R300 range.

Schapenberg is around R150 a year, 6km from my house :thumbup:

Jonkershoek is R220/annum. Pay that with a smile.

I have an annual plate for the MTN park (although I paid R1000 for it).

For me it was worth it. I work less than 2km up the road from it, so very convenient.

On occasion I have been there 4 times in 1 week. Regular fees that would be R200.

Although lately, I have been scarce there... I've been riding and building on the spruit.

and hey... it's free! Just don't trash our jumps! :lol:

Cmon, it is what it is...a convenient park in the heart of the northern suburbs that you can ride to from your house. Yes the trails are not long but they are flippen great fun and technically right up there...it gets maintained and have all the facilities for swambo and kidos to enjoy their day as well. I go there often and dont try to do "training" there, but rather go for a fun day. Go with that mindset, pay 50 bucks and leave with a smile whilst riding home on your bike. Nuff said