Don't buy from this Hubber

MTB MAN

Let see what you guys think of this I was a potential buyer for a helmet that went up for sale Catlike whisper helmet. I PM'd the Hubber asking him about the helmet obviously calling dibs on the product.As we were discussing the product he had sold the helmet after I sent an sms and a PM and posting on the for sale ad that I want the product now why all of a sudden are there complete A@#H%#@! on the Hub it seems they don't understand the word dibs

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/10567-catlike-whisper-plus-team/

This is the link to this seller's product you guys can give me an opinion if I am wrong or wright but you just don't operate this way.After this k@k move I don't really want to purchase from the hub anymore it is just not the way it use to be...

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to forget the colon, semi colon, full stop and hyphen.

:D - speaking of 'colon', I suspect the same as the origin of the O Posting.

sorry Aebro , a bit of an over reaciotn on your side. the statement of first come first serve should be revised to "first come with the money in my bank, first serve".

Aebro there are such alot of dissapointments on the hub where guys promise to buy and then never pitch up or are never heard of again or wants to make some ridiculous deal, therefore the first guys that pitches up with cash or a deposit slip is king........sorry i would have done the same. however, when i sold something on the hub i specifcally told all potentials that whomever comes first "with the cash" it will be sold to and hat i could not promise to hold back on the item for someone that might or might not pitch up

As mentioned many times in the last six pages, money talks. First come first serve. No dibs, shotgun, mine, or whatever. If you arrive first with the correct number of buffaloes in your herd, the item is yours. If you left your contact details I will get back to you and let you know not to worry coming through if the item gets sold.

There have been too many "keep it for me, I am coming tonight to collect" with no trace...

Having said that though, sales from province to province can get tricky. Let's be honest, it is easier to sell to somebody at home that in another province.

Chin up chap, there will be other helmets for sale. :)

Well firstly I contacted the seller before I had put the words "DIBS" telling him that I am interested in the helmet with my contact details.Then after that I had sent him a SMS stating I had sent him a PM on this forum with regards to the helmet.Now how is that not concrete evidence and yes he did send me a PM back explaining we would go halves on courier.But I was willing to pay the full amount for courier which I had PM'd him back and 7 minutes later he had sold the item.Now I stand by my decision and yes it might be second hand but it would have just been a collectible item to just put up in the garage.

Lovely story. Seriously, brought a tear to my eye.

However, if I was selling something, and someone contacted me and the word DIBS appeared in their communication, I'd take a bout three weeks to figure out what it meant, by which time, the item would probably have been sold to someone else.

Lovely story. Seriously, brought a tear to my eye.

However, if I was selling something, and someone contacted me and the word DIBS appeared in their communication, I'd take a bout three weeks to figure out what it meant, by which time, the item would probably have been sold to someone else.

Doubt I'll Buy Something?

Doubt I'll Buy Something?

Have no clue. It's the same as Local Bottle Store, and numerous others. They're lost on me...

The proper wording when you want to buy something should be something like this: I will take it(buy it), please forward me your banking details so I can transfer the funds............

for heavens sake, money in the hand means the sale is done, next time be more specific that you will purchase the item and make proper arrangements for payment,and item collection. Also dont assume that you are first in line, the seller may have been contacted telephonically, or by email, prior to your "Dibs"

"Dibs" is for naming cats...

Edited by Rude

If I dibs, I've made an open commitment to purchase the article.

I have put thought and action into posting that word.

Personally I type "dibs" and send PM's or call to confirm my first option.

I will not say that I will buy it. I'll say that I want to have first option. i.e. I'll buy it subject to conditions. Whatever those conditions may be: like postage, packaging, form of payment, etc.

I assume to get first option.

If I don't respond with due performance the buyer rating system should be utilised to its full potential.

Others can ask for 2nd dibs and third.

There is an obligation for the seller to respect this call. Again the seller rating system should be used to its full potential.

I do not assume that somebody has sent a pm before me without calling dibs on the forum

If you want to deal on a first come first serve basis ... do so in the junkmails or gumtree.

Then do not sell here. This forum is not really free market economy but I believe that there was a vision to create a more personal space for cyclists and lovers of all things cycling.

I feel very strongly that community selling should be different and open.

My experience on other forums is excellent in this regard.

There is nothing playschool about the word dibs ! Its a great etiquette and it works very well and especially if it is community regulated.

I believe aebro was under a strong impression that he was in process of transaction.

Hence this thread.

Any shortcoming in performance should have been highlighted by the seller, so that aebro could respond.

This should all be clearly spelled out on the sale thread, as simple communication.

Seller fail: irrespective of how credible you think your response or credentials may be on this thread.

I agree - you must allow an interested purchaser a reasonable opportunity to complete the deal. It does not look as if this happened here...

In excitement I reserved a wheelset. Then I checked the bank balance and couldn't afford it. Very embarrassing, luckily there was another buyer in line. I was the ****, so I can understand the helmet being sold to the first guy with the cash in hand. In a store, you'd have to put down a deposit.

Ever sold something on Gumtree? Hundreds of responses, and nobody turns up.

This is hilarious that this thread has gone on so long - I'd forgotten how much fun you guys have on the hub!

Guys I'm sorry Aebro missed out, but my phone rang with a confirmed sale before I could see his comment or his sms. If on his first PM he had committed to buying the helmet instead of saying he's intrested, it would be his.

And to the guy who said that all business must be conducted on the hub via comments, pm's or threads, get real - there's an option when you place a classified to put in your cell number for a reason.

Over and out, and this thread really should die! And CT guys, I'm moving down there next week so will be bringing my singlespeed to come play on your trails:-)