Show us your pets

tunariaan

First time posting in this thread but just had to share:

We lost Duke this morning, he was a 16 year old Staffie, totally useless as a watchdog but much loved by all.

He kept us up all night, wanting to go outside every hour. We thought it was his stomach that was a bit upset (it happened occasionally). Took him to the vet early this morning as his "stomach bug" lasted longer than usual. Turns out he had a stroke and his liver failed. Had him admitted and received the call about an hour ago.

He will be missed.

Aw no Zaskar that's so sad. Take solace in the fact there's lots of friends on the other side for Duke to play with. *hug* RIP Duke

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost Duke this morning, he was a 16 year old Staffie, totally useless as a watchdog but much loved by all.

He kept us up all night, wanting to go outside every hour. We thought it was his stomach that was a bit upset (it happened occasionally). Took him to the vet early this morning as his "stomach bug" lasted longer than usual. Turns out he had a stroke and his liver failed. Had him admitted and received the call about an hour ago.

He will be missed.

Condolences. I grew up with 2 staffers, my best friends, amazing dogs. They passé away at 13 a year apart both on Easter. 16 years is a great innings

Here is my recent vet experience. 2 sundays ago we were lounging around the house when Joey started gagging and retching. We thought that maybe he had a tummy bug or something and then his belly started expanding to about 5 times his usual circumvent. We phoned the 24hr animal hospital and explained what was happening. They said that it sounds like bloating and he needs to be admitted urgently as this is life threatening. More on bloating here: http://m.dogbreedinfo.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dogbreedinfo.com%2Farticles%2Fcaninebloat.htm#2865

We rushed Joey to Panorama 24 hour Vet hospital and on arrival they had a surgeon, 2 assistants and a trolley waiting. He was examined by the surgeon and placed on a drip to stabilize his blood pressure. Once stable it was a 90minute procedure to open him up and untie his stomach. On admission they said it was 50/50. We were sent home and received regular updates on his progress. Being a 85kg Boerboel none of the ICU cages could hold him for the night, so he recovered in one of the consulting rooms. post-5386-1402140166,399.jpg

A week at the vet and he was discharged. Here is one of him sitting on my lap during 1 of the visits

post-5386-1402140358,6975.jpg

We bought him a slow feeder to counter his fast eating (45seconds flat on a bowl of food to about 4 minutes now). We also try to keep him and Phoebe calm after meals to prevent another occurrencepost-5386-1402140461,4331.jpg of bloating.

I am glad he is doing ok.Two of my Great Danes experienced the same fate but could not be saved.They say big dogs should be kept calm after having a fat chow.Sad to go through such an experience.

In the last 2 weeks , 2 of the 4 dogs had birth days

The first one was while my wife was doing Expedition Africa, so we got them th custom cup cakes and some balloons to pop..

the old female loves biting the balloons till they burst

Yes they are only dogs but they give us unlimited love and joy

Here to many more happy years..

Love my Rotties

post-25947-0-23319900-1402338745_thumb.jpg

post-25947-0-76953000-1402338748_thumb.jpg

post-25947-0-30886100-1402338752_thumb.jpg

post-25947-0-07199400-1402338757_thumb.jpg

post-25947-0-17819600-1402338760_thumb.jpg

post-25947-0-10498800-1402338764_thumb.jpg

He will be missed.

So, so sorry to hear that. RIP Duke… :(

He will be missed.

RIP Duke

Monday morning check in - how's Juno, Joey, Tumbleweed and Wil 6's Husky doing? (Wil6 - what's your Husky's name - did I miss it?)

Hi Uni, sorry for only replying now. He's name is Dexter and his doing great and the surgery was a success. Picked him up yesterday at Onderstepoort and it was a stressful drive home but we made it safely. Must keep him in a crate for 6weeks so that he can not jump or run by himself. He can walk on the leg that they did the surgery on but he still has pain. Luckily I can take short walks with him on a leash.

The people at Onderstepoort were brilliant :thumbup: and kept me updated every day on how he was doing. Dexter is currently living with me as a foster dog and this whole story would not have been possible if not for the AWESOME people at Husky Rescue helping with all the arrangements to make this surgery on Dexters knee possible and to give him a second chance in life. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Will post a pic of him later. He's going to come to work with me for 6 weeks and already made him a comfortable house in a old pig sty here on the plot our business is on.

Last Saturday Joey and Phoebe welcomed little Luke home. If anyone ever has any reservations about large breed dogs around babies I'll gladly give them a demo of how well bred and properly trained Boerboel pair behave around something so small and fragile. post-5386-1402887990,9533.jpg

post-5386-1402888045,1667.jpg

For all those that helped and supported us with Emily, I think we can safely say Mission Accomplished.

post-268-0-04379800-1402865119_thumb.jpg

Has sledding season started yet? I take it she'll join you?

Congrats to you and the Mrs on the new addition. you're looking forward to saying "Luke, I am your father." - admit it :)

:clap: :clap: