Show us your pets

tunariaan

Long time since I've been to this thread, I saw this post on facebook and decided that it should be posted here, sorry if it's a repost,

Tonight Darwin & I tried an experiment. I spotted a diy thunder jacket on the internet & decided to try it out this evening when the thunder started. Darwin was nearly fully into panic, pant and hide mode, trying to get on my knee. We used an old adult t shirt (he's a big dog). Head through the neck, legs through the arm holes, and tied tightly around his back. Absolutely amazing effect!!! He calmed down immediately & even went to sleep while the storm carried on. I am totally gob-smacked and thrilled. I suggest you try it for your dogs if they hate thunder/fireworks as much as Darwin does.

12644969_10153871787869808_6542572975283

1769_10153871788069808_54998716574570888

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, that grumpy white spot on the beach chair is Poepies :)

The chicken was just photo-bombing... to keep them away from the poison while dipping is a different story :)

EDIT - the chicken(s) is privately called much worse :whistling:

Bloody chickens, I've got a few, and they are also regularly sworn at, especially if I have to shut them up in the day, and they won't cooperate.

Long time since I've been to this thread, I saw this post on facebook and decided that it should be posted here, sorry if it's a repost,

]

I heard them talking on the radio they use the same technique on kids that need to be calmed down.

Pretty cool how effective it is.

I heard them talking on the radio they use the same technique on kids that need to be calmed down.

Pretty cool how effective it is.

I've not tried it yet. We haven't had thunderstorms since I saw the post. I'll definitely see how it works on my old sheepdog. She hates loud noises. Even hides away when the chickens crow after laying eggs.

On the 28th February 2016, the AACL (Animal Anti-Cruelty League) will celebrate 60 years in animal welfare.   National Chairman Tony Guia, had this to say:  “This milestone in our history of animal welfare is certainly something to crow about.  The success of the organization has largely been due to the overwhelming support we have received over the years, financial and otherwise, from the animal loving public.  That, coupled with the dedication and commitment of our staff and volunteers, are core components to our longevity and what has made us strong.  The profile of charity organizations over the past twenty odd years has definitely altered, with social responsibility having become integral to modern day consciousness.   This is a good thing in the face of the burgeoning number of NPOs that exist today, and must remain durable and a moral investment by society as a whole.  

It is also important to recognize our achievements on a national level.  Besides our Johannesburg branch which is also the head office of the AACL, we have a further five branches situated in Durban, Ladysmith, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Bredasdorp.  Interestingly enough, all of our branches have been in operation for well over twenty years, with our Durban branch coming a close second to Johannesburg, having been established in 1959.  I think this is pretty conclusive evidence that we are a constant in a world that in many ways, has become more than a little fickle and that as a service organization, we have been willing to embrace change and where necessary, shift our priority and focus. 

Some of our more recent achievements over the years include 

·         The establishment in 1999 of our volunteer programme;

·         In 2006 we established the first Old Age Village in S A for senior pets;

·         In 2013 we established our feral cat programme;

·         In 2014 we established a Freedom Cat Village

·         And last but not least, 2014/2015 saw the re-establishment of our mobile clinic service and the revamping of our hospital 

Community involvement and giving back is an extremely important facet of our services.  This year we aim to grow our outreach/mobile clinic service exponentially, continuing to assist previously disadvantaged

More ………..       /2

Page 2.

communities which have little, or no access to veterinary care and require subsidized assistance.  In line with

our programme ‘A healthy pet is a safe pet’, our services interalia,  comprise deworming, vaccinations

(includes rabies vaccination), internal and external parasite control, sterilization and the distribution of general information leaflets, which provide basic guidelines on responsible pet care.  Animals that require surgical procedures or more in-depth medical intervention are brought through to the AACL Johannesburg’s welfare hospital for treatment and returned thereafter to owners post recovery.

Animals are an important, essential component of life as we know it and their welfare should never be compromised. Nowadays, with the many challenges facing society as a whole, socio-economically and politically, it is all too often these very animals that will become the casualties of cruel victimisation in one form or another.  As our motto states, ‘Caring is our business’ and we continue to do our best to alleviate their plight.  At the same time through education,  our programmes are structured in a way that will hopefully influence young minds and  preconceived behaviours.

With the continued support of the animal loving public we look forward to building on our past achievements well into the next sixty years.  To learn more about our programmes and policies, and how you can help us to make a difference, please visit our website:   www.aacl.co.za  and/or contact the General Manager on 011 435 0672.”

Issued by                             :                                                               AACL Johannesburg

Everybody on this thread has a love for animals. Recently the Centurion SPCA started to be active on Facebook, presumably through a volunteer. Now often have Saturday markets, donors for shade cloth etc. Wife started a monthly debit order etc.

Made me wonder if anybody is actively involved in supporting animal shelters and how you do it?

Being the wuz I am I would rather donate than spend time with the dogs, I even look away whenever there is a sad scene on tv so don't want to go to the cages Etc. Last time I did that was when we had that cycle to Midrand SPCA for Jacques to donate food Etc for those that remember.

Joey, I am not particularly fond of my local SPCA, to be honest. And I don't contribute regularly to any other organisations. Do the occasional SMS thing to donate when I get reminders. Have the utmost respect for the people who do get involved, though. Ian Jones is one of my heroes. All-round awesome guy.

As I was heading out for a ride, there was a monkeys wedding...tried to get a pic of it, but got this instead...

post-1604-0-43136000-1456847562_thumb.jpg

...Scar at his happiest...when he has something he thinks the others want. The others, to their credit, didn't let on to Scar that no dog would admit to coveting balls that colour...

post-1604-0-85874800-1456847690_thumb.jpg

Here's our Rottie Zooey. She is a bit of a muttbag but we love her. Her favourite things are taking up the whole couch and any type of food. Oh and a bit of early morning barking...

she's a bit older now than in this picture but still a bundle of fun.

Edited by SlowManiac

Here's our Rottie Zooey. She is a bit of a muttbag but we love her. Her favourite things are taking up the whole couch and any type of food. Oh and a bit of early morning barking...

she's a bit older now than in this picture but still a bundle of fun.

This almost sounds like you're trying to set her up on a date :P

Should also add, "She loves long walks on the beach...off the leash..." :P