Race for Victory

dracs

Hi

I'm new to the forum although did lurk a little earlier this year...

I have recently gotten back on the bike after being in hibernation for the first part of winter, and now I am looking at my race calandar... (personally I need to have looming races lined up to provide motivation to get up at 5.30am!)

I see the Race for Victory is an Argus qualifier for next year. Does anyone have any comments about this event in terms of organisation in general, route, accessibility and parking etc? Looking at the website it looks interesting - including a steep climb at 8 to 10%, and a "Paris Roubaux" sand section...

Also, can anyone post a route profile?

many thanks

http://www.raceforvictory.co.za/Content/GenericContent.aspx?eid=9&group=Home&name=N/A

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'm new to the forum although did lurk a little earlier this year...

I have recently gotten back on the bike after being in hibernation for the first part of winter, and now I am looking at my race calandar... (personally I need to have looming races lined up to provide motivation to get up at 5.30am!)

I see the Race for Victory is an Argus qualifier for next year. Does anyone have any comments about this event in terms of organisation in general, route, accessibility and parking etc? Looking at the website it looks interesting - including a steep climb at 8 to 10%, and a "Paris Roubaux" sand section...

Also, can anyone post a route profile?

many thanks

http://www.raceforvictory.co.za/Content/GenericContent.aspx?eid=9&group=Home&name=N/A

Not sure about what you expect from the race.

But can tell you , it will be brutal if you not fit, and a long day out. The organisation is fine, parking limited and the route difficult. The wind always blows, small bunches, a 22 km ride through Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve where the only thing remotely flat will be your tyre in case of an unfortunate puncture. But a good test of fitness over an unforgiving route.

Not sure about what you expect from the race.

But can tell you , it will be brutal if you not fit, and a long day out. The organisation is fine, parking limited and the route difficult. The wind always blows, small bunches, a 22 km ride through Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve where the only thing remotely flat will be your tyre in case of an unfortunate puncture. But a good test of fitness over an unforgiving route.

LOL. i.e. if you aren't fit, you're screwed! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LOL. i.e. if you aren't fit, you're screwed! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

okidokes sounds perfect then! 8 weeks or so to get fit... or I'm screwed... :)

:blink:

Did the race last year and a few years before that , Its not as difficult as earlier years when it was 115km.

Last year the wind really blew , but it is mostly a flat route except for the part through the reserve where you climb for about 10km out of the 22 km you spend there.

Road surface was good last year and the 400 section that is not tar was no problem. It might be a problem if there is a lot of rain the night before and then became muddy.

Thanks all for the input... Can anyone post a route profile or direct me to one?

tks

What that profile doesn't show is the insane headwind in the last 15km or so of last year's (I think) race. If I remember, I'll upload the SportTracks plot of the wind strengths when I get home next week. Otherwise, BigBen could do it if he's got the Weather Plugin.

It used to be very well supported when it started and finished at the School up there in Mulbarton and was run early May, but since it moved venue and dates, I dont know, seems to have lost numbers.

Although back then you had to do butchers hill as well, which probably killed many a prospective cyclist's thoughts of repeating the race again the following year. :) - so, yeah, I don't know.

Anyway, the biggest issue is still the wind, others may disagree but I think the road surface is pretty crappy over most of the route, pot holes, loose gravel and corrugated roads are common, the route through the reserve is tough if you overcook it early, but otherwise its fairly doable. Get your 23 tooth rear sprocket out of storage at least, otherwise I am not sure you will get over the hill.

Organisation etc is fine, but expect a tough day in the saddle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am new in cycling, doing MTB'ing now for the past 8 months. Have entered for the 101km, gonna do it with my MTB! Any idea of what the total accent is?

Sport Tracks says 700m elevation

Mapmyride says 714m

Here's the wind map from last year. Note the 30km/h headwind for the final 10km.

post-2030-0-69554900-1313400028.png

Edited by Edman

Sport Tracks says 700m elevation

Mapmyride says 714m

Here's the wind map from last year. Note the 30km/h headwind for the final 10km.

Thanks Edman, helps alot! Seems the wind is a bigger factor than the elevation!

Edited by Herman mtb'er

Oh boy do i ever remember THAT headwind! :(

I remember coming up to that right hand turn after the R59, thinking I wasn't feeling so great. Turned into the headwind and just hit the wall. I lost around 5-10min in that final 10km.

thanks Bigben, Edman and Grumpy! Well, I'm entered come hell or high water (or come high hills or high winds I should say)...

And just decided to D2D as a warm up too... :) I figure this is the only way to ensure my years training proper doesn't begin 4 weeks before 94.7 for a change...