2X10 gearing on mtb

kevink

it's better to have a granny and not need it, than to need a granny and not have it.

i too someday will want to be strong enough to not need my granny at all, no matter what instances that I may encounter while riding my bike (on graded dirt road, up the side of a mountain especially that one on this year's lionman etc.)

If you leave your granny at the old age home and cycle on your bike by yourself you will have a far lighter bike and she won't keep asking you to slow down when you exceed 15km/h speeds. :)

post-5403-0-08811600-1319109862.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid for my 3 x 10 why must i pay more for less.

Dude - this is how cycling works. The more you pay, the quicker the components wear out. It's like an mini anti-universe snuck in to the real one.

Hasnt anyone noticed that its quicker to walk up than trying to ride a granny gear 22x34 ?

Walk. WALK. WALK????

On short steep granny hills it's faster to ride (the dismount and remount takes some time) - on longer steep hills it's faster to get off and RUN.

Walk...Eldron shakes his head.

:D

The more you pay, the quicker the components wear out.

So by that logic, we should all buy Makro specials. They'll last for ever :clap:

The part I find really ironic is that everybody praised SRAM for bringing out a 10 speed cassette:

Worse shifting.

More weight.

Then they praised SRAM for bringing out a double chainwheel.

"Better" shifting.

Less weight.

C'mon SRAM - which is it? Is more better or less better or are both more or less better?

:blink:

C'mon SRAM - which is it? Is more better or less better or are both more or less better?

:blink:

2 x 13 is the dream :thumbup:

2 x 13 is the dream :thumbup:

If we follow the last few years it's more like 1x18.

Soon. Soon I'll have my 1x11... My presssshhhuuuusssss - can't wait!

Well IMO it makes you go faster (depending on the ratio)

I haven't had issues with the wrong gearing, it just takes quick thinking and fingers, thats why i'm keen for the gripshifts (sram 10speed) that way you can shift more gears in a faster manner.

?

Hasnt anyone noticed that its quicker to walk up than trying to ride a granny gear 22x34 ?

Some of us prefer to ride our bikes. I paid for it. Not to push it, but to ride it.

Like Eldon said. Maybe some of you should get out there. Do stuff like the 3 Towers and the Sabie X. See how tough you feel at the end of day 3.

During the 3 Towers this past weekend we passed 2 guys (one team) on the Rooiwal climb. Same bikes. The one with the 3 rings was still going, but the ysterman with the 2 rings was pushing...

Just saying that an 8kg bike isnt gonna slow you down if you carry it up the hill. I see you xc guys walking down the rough stuff all the time. That must be slower. And please drop your seat next time you try ride down the dh tracks. I get scared watching that high post action.

I really dont know what all the fuss is about 2 x 10/3 X10 when you have regard to the recent results of the 2011 Cullinan Diamond Rush - the man did it on a friggin singlespeed and came 9th overall!!

9 02:39:26 2547 Klingbiel Dwayne M 70 70 Single Speed M C 1990/07/01 26.34