did coke cause me to bonk

madvics

No, Coke did not make you bonk. I did the same race and had 2 glasses of coke at the same waterpoint and finished great.

You didn't bonk because of food issues. You bonked because you rode too hard in the beginning. Next time take it a little easier and rather push harder in the last hour if you feel like you can give a little more.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend that you get a copy of Tim Noakes "Lore of Running" if you want the science behind dehydration, bonking and overhydration. In most cases you will feel the bonk coming about ten minutes before it arrives, then you must eat everything in sight and wash it down with any liquid you can find, and if you can afford it sit in the shade for a few minutes to give your body time to process all that energy. Or else that wall, she is going to hit you.

Wont Epson salts make you *** yourself? Sounds scary. but then again we have all got our own little secret recipe.

A friend and I have used epson salts and game, as an emergency drink.

Someone else recommends coke and milk.

Wont Epson salts make you *** yourself? Sounds scary. but then again we have all got our own little secret recipe.

nope, but tastes horrid (that is the epson salts) :o , so don't do it often. Also we were in the middle of the Karoo so there were no spectators to witness any negative effects.

:rolleyes:

I honestly don't have a clue what 32ig is. It sounds like marketing crap to me.

I'd say the reason you hit the wall is due to a lack of solid food.

Next time, forget what the marketers tell you, eat lotsa pasta, and on the bike take one bottle of water, and one bottle of coke (or two bottles of half and half) and some bananas in your pockets. Drink before you feel thirsty, and eat before you feel hungry.

Sounds exactly like one of my mates K2C he was all for his 32gi, and future live creal crap too. The more we told him to eat pasta the night before, and tried to shove some solids into his mouth on race day the more he declined. He hit a total wall at about 50-60km. Energy drinks and supliments are to be used as an after thought, on raceday you need solid food its the only way to sustain that level of energy requirements.

Bananna, nougat, baby potatoes and a bag of mixed nuts/fruits do a hell of a lot more for me than the most expensive energy drinks, (though i do ride with Hammer) and no im a coke addict so i stop and have my nice cold coke in the middle of a race :) does woders.

Thanx guys. Im doing van gaalens in two weeks time, any tips

Listen to me very carefully now. If last years race is anything to go by..... save your legs for the last 15km. You are gonna k@k your best man pantie in the heat.

If this weather continues, the heat will be the factor @ Van Gaalens. The big climbs are in the 1st half, hope not the same route as last year, esp, the section towards the Sat Station most of which was too hectic for me to ride, the route a few weeks ago was better. Hope they include Daggapad tho. Gets very hot & dry towards the end. Very!

About 'bonking' every since I have given GUI Sachets a miss, been okay, its also about pace and mental attitude.

I honestly don't have a clue what 32ig is. It sounds like marketing crap to me.

I'd say the reason you hit the wall is due to a lack of solid food.

Next time, forget what the marketers tell you, eat lotsa pasta, and on the bike take one bottle of water, and one bottle of coke (or two bottles of half and half) and some bananas in your pockets. Drink before you feel thirsty, and eat before you feel hungry.

TNT just so you are aware 1 packet of 32Gi chews is equivalent to 2 bananas or 2 potatoes in calorie and sugar response, so he ate solid food. I would say once you had the glass of coke your insulin levels shot up, this gave you around 30minutes to the finish, chances are before the finish they dropped suddenly and you went hypoglycemic, if you take in coke, then u need to keep taking it in frequently until the finish. There are lots of factors to determine fatigue, and if it was a true bonk or just fatigue, it could have been your body was not used to these long distances how many 70km off road have you done in training? also you need to practice your nutrition during your training. If you are going to race 70km, then you should be doing longer rides in training, and you should be understanding your bodies needs especially when it comes to nutrition.

Drop me a PM so i can analyse and assist.

all the best

M

TNT just so you are aware 1 packet of 32Gi chews is equivalent to 2 bananas or 2 potatoes in calorie and sugar response, so he ate solid food. I would say once you had the glass of coke your insulin levels shot up, this gave you around 30minutes to the finish, chances are before the finish they dropped suddenly and you went hypoglycemic, if you take in coke, then u need to keep taking it in frequently until the finish. There are lots of factors to determine fatigue, and if it was a true bonk or just fatigue, it could have been your body was not used to these long distances how many 70km off road have you done in training? also you need to practice your nutrition during your training. If you are going to race 70km, then you should be doing longer rides in training, and you should be understanding your bodies needs especially when it comes to nutrition.

all the best

M

Hi Mark i am obviously not a professional cyclist but i spin twice a week at high intensity ,and then i do long rides with my mates over the weekends. the problem was that i felt fine during the whole race, didn't get hungry either, was also taking in a chew at least every 30 mins. The problem came after the last water point when i drank the coke thinking it would give me the extra boost to the finish, it wasn't 10 minutes my legs just gave up , and i felt nauseous

all the best

M

No worries. If it works for you, great. You wont change my mind with all the analyses you can muster. Experience beats marketing crap any day of the week.

How about I've raced week long tours with each stage longer than 100km? Does that count :unsure:

Edited by TNT1

Biltong flavor cheddars. Take two packets in your pocket. When you can't stomach any more sweet stuff, they are the business. :thumbup:

I agree with TNT1. I'm 63 years of age, and I have learned many things over decades of cycling. THe most important thing is this, your body is like a bank, and food is like money...the more you put in the more you have to spend when you need it.

I eat a lot during the day before the event, and have a big meal the night before. I get up really early to sit and have a big breakfast as well. Cereals alone will never see me to the end of a race.

I once used a Leppin sachet of corn syrup during a race in the late 80's and vowed never again. I fill my pockets with raisins, a banana and a sarmie with peanut butter. I pick at the raisins every few kilo's, and eat the banana and sarmie at points I think will be convenient to do so.

I drink water, two bottles per hundred kilo's on the road and if I stop at a water point I will have a cup of coke. I have never bonked from coke, but I have bonked from not eating enough.

I personally do not feel sachets of energy supplements work for me. But if you are going to use them, use them a few times in training as well so that you can see if they will work for you, or not.

There is no substitute for a big hearty meal.

I too ride with 32GI, but I tried the chews and they were useless. 2 or 3 Woolies bars of nuts and fruit staves off the discomfort of hunger and keeps up low-gi energy. I keep a GU for emergencies. But I have tried the Coke route and found that, unless I had a regular intake, my levels spiked too high and dropped too low. As far as I can understand, if you load yourself with sugars, you needn't have bothered with the carbo-loading beforehand.

About 'bonking' every since I have given GUI Sachets a miss, been okay, its also about pace and mental attitude.

Gu always made me bonk. Coke I find bloats me up, so only have some at the finishing table. no substitution for eating - during the race I have peanut butter sandwiches.

I agree with TNT1. I'm 63 years of age, and I have learned many things over decades of cycling. THe most important thing is this, your body is like a bank, and food is like money...the more you put in the more you have to spend when you need it.

I eat a lot during the day before the event, and have a big meal the night before. I get up really early to sit and have a big breakfast as well. Cereals alone will never see me to the end of a race.

I once used a Leppin sachet of corn syrup during a race in the late 80's and vowed never again. I fill my pockets with raisins, a banana and a sarmie with peanut butter. I pick at the raisins every few kilo's, and eat the banana and sarmie at points I think will be convenient to do so.

I drink water, two bottles per hundred kilo's on the road and if I stop at a water point I will have a cup of coke. I have never bonked from coke, but I have bonked from not eating enough.

I personally do not feel sachets of energy supplements work for me. But if you are going to use them, use them a few times in training as well so that you can see if they will work for you, or not.

There is no substitute for a big hearty meal.

Agree!

I was told, if your body is starting to ask for water or food it is already to late....you must drink every 10-15min and you must eat as often as possible, even if you feel full, still force that half a bar....cause in the end that half could have helped you in the race. Your bonking sounds like a pure lack of training for the intensity you cycled at or it was because of undereating...remember when it is hot your body needs more minerals to stay hydrated.

I used to only drink, never ate anything....so I learned the hard way....since i started eating more regular I feel better on the bike. I used to use 32gi....nothing wrong with it, but changed over to Cytomax, just felt that it works better for me.