did coke cause me to bonk

madvics

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know potato even had sugar in.

It has to. How else would you make it into Vodka?

Yup after a bit of reading around the interwebs, many people says it works but only if taken with low GI foods and no other sources of sugars/carbs, so if you want to use this, make sure your dietry requirements are in order. Personally i wont risk it, at k2c after 90km that bit of coke was the bested shait eva.

I didn't know potato even had sugar in.

Rice, pasta and maize also have sugar in. Everything that is classified as "carbs" are loaded with sugar. that is why it's the first thing you cut out when you go on a diet.

Yup after a bit of reading around the interwebs, many people says it works but only if taken with low GI foods and no other sources of sugars/carbs, so if you want to use this, make sure your dietry requirements are in order. Personally i wont risk it, at k2c after 90km that bit of coke was the bested shait eva.

Yeah. Whatever happened to a balanced diet.

32Ig is like iTunes, but with your food...

I would say it can be partly be the coke's fault. Coke gives you a lift but drops you quite suddenly. You should have started eating 30 minutes into the race so that the fuel was ready towards the end.

+1

Coke makes me bonk.

Also, you have to eat at least every 45-60min eg Banana,Jungle bar etc..

Dude, I can't seem to figure you out? You seem to train and eat well and to understand things, but if I read your sentence above then I can't help but to discard all your other opinions?! That's only my opinion, but although the above might be "equivalent" in terms of calories, they are so far removed from equivalent as the moon from our earth. The dark side of the moon that is. Or I'm missing something big...

Andy its simple, do a 10 hour iron man and carry banana s muffins energy bars ??? Not a chance, there is only one thing u need for racing its called carbohydrates and that equates to energy. I can't carry 10 bananas with me in calorie terms so I use very convenient fuel for my body. Earlier a guy mentioned a muffin, come on that would kill my digestive system,there is something called gastric emptying rate ie: digest and absorb a muffin ain't going to do the trick unless I am doing a 4 hour 94.7 or 17 hour ironman. I need fuel to be convenient and as simple as possible, that's why energy products exist, I am extreme when it comes to diet training and racing I am meticulous in what I consume, but even in the form of an energy product I keep

It as simple and as natural as possible, no unnecessary additives no nonsense simple. I need to take in a certain amount of calories every hour and my digestive system needs to cope its not so simple shoving down solid food especially when u r performing at a high intensity. So I don't see the conflict in my statement saying keep

It as natural or simple as possible.

I did a 60km race in September and all they had to drink at the stops was coke (I only carry one bottle of Energage and one water with me)...I HATE COKE!

I sweat a lot of salt and coke just does not help to replace that thus I started cramping on the longer ride (before this 50km was my longest race riding)....I also only had one bar on the trip. My new rule is to take something salty with me food wise - heard those small potatoes works good (2 or 3 will work over 70km I assume - thant's if it doesn't take you tooooo long)!

I did a 60km race in September and all they had to drink at the stops was coke (I only carry one bottle of Energage and one water with me)...I HATE COKE!

I sweat a lot of salt and coke just does not help to replace that thus I started cramping on the longer ride (before this 50km was my longest race riding)....I also only had one bar on the trip. My new rule is to take something salty with me food wise - heard those small potatoes works good (2 or 3 will work over 70km I assume - thant's if it doesn't take you tooooo long)!

Coke is just sugar. absolutely no other nutrients. Even when you are dehydrated you should stay away from it and water. You need stuff with electrolytes and sodium. Energade, Powerade, Lucozade and so on is very good for that.

Coke is just sugar. absolutely no other nutrients. Even when you are dehydrated you should stay away from it and water. You need stuff with electrolytes and sodium. Energade, Powerade, Lucozade and so on is very good for that.

Anyone tried the new Rehidrate?

Talking about the Staalwater race?

That was a tough race and very hot as well....even I cramped a few times.

Andre all the energy drinks especially the endurance ones like hammer perpetuem which is loaded with electrolytes and is 10000x better that engerade/powerade and lucozade, will tell you you need to take these drinks WITH additional water. In otherwords mix your endurance bottle and load up the camelback with water.

But i agree yeah coke is just sugar, and it wont do anything but give you a bit a boost, its not inteded to rehydrate you, they assume most people are probably intellegent enough to have the right drinks till such time they hit the coke stand ;)