did coke cause me to bonk

madvics

I used to use 32gi....nothing wrong with it, but changed over to Cytomax, just felt that it works better for me.

Agreed, nothing wrong with most of these supplements. They are just not some "magic bullet" that takes away from the need to eat proper food, and train further than the race distance. Listen to your body. Get to know what works and what doesn't when you push it to the limit. The marketers can't tell you that. The dieticians and stuff can't tell you either. They can give a framework for you to reference in, but you need to be in tune with how your body reacts.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, nothing wrong with most of these supplements. They are just not some "magic bullet" that takes away from the need to eat proper food, and train further than the race distance. Listen to your body. Get to know what works and what doesn't when you push it to the limit. The marketers can't tell you that. The dieticians and stuff can't tell you either. They can give a framework for you to reference in, but you need to be in tune with how your body reacts.

:thumbup:

Eat and TITS, you need to do a few training rides at race pace and at or over the distance required. That's all folks. You seldom train at the intensity you race (even if you think you are pacing yourself) so in the race everything comes to a head.

Do more long rides and or more high intensity training rides and you will be fine no matter what your nutrition is. If you trained with it you will be good to go.

Damn at the moment I hit the wall at 50km, why? I am *** sleg and think I can ride harder than I can.

Hi all i did the diamond rush marathon at cullinan this weekend, it was my first 70km.

can someone tell me where i went wrong.

I carbo loaded two days before saturday with 32 gi, had future life for breakfast with no sugar ,a bottle a 32 gi on my bike and water in my pack,at every watering hole except for the last one i had a glass of 32 gi.

at the last watering hole there was about 11 kms left i decided to have a glass of coke,it wasnt 20 minutes,i lost all my energy ran out of water and almost felt like dying.

I did not finish well at all, was it the coke?

forgot to mention i also had 32 gi chews on me which i too every 30 mins,they did not help me at the end.

thanx for your feed back

Sugar spike. It doesn't last long. Then you're left with nothing. Eat food, drink water.

Coke is for Jack, after. :thumbup:

Edited by The Drongo

TNT just so you are aware 1 packet of 32Gi chews is equivalent to 2 bananas or 2 potatoes in calorie and sugar response, so he ate solid food. I would say once you had the glass of coke your insulin levels shot up, this gave you around 30minutes to the finish, chances are before the finish they dropped suddenly and you went hypoglycemic, if you take in coke, then u need to keep taking it in frequently until the finish. There are lots of factors to determine fatigue, and if it was a true bonk or just fatigue, it could have been your body was not used to these long distances how many 70km off road have you done in training? also you need to practice your nutrition during your training. If you are going to race 70km, then you should be doing longer rides in training, and you should be understanding your bodies needs especially when it comes to nutrition.

Drop me a PM so i can analyse and assist.

all the best

M

This reminds me of the 32Gi post last year where it became a known issue that if you take any sugar before the race, or during the race thats not 32Gi people bonked all over the show, can;t remember the title of the thread something like "32Gi this stuff rocks" where one of the official 32gi channels did an entire write up on how the product is supposed to work.

But the moral of the story is almost everyone that used the product alongside other boosters like GU / Hammer / Wasp gells, etc found they bonked almost immediatly after. One of the reasons ive never tried that stuff i need my sweet coffee before the race, And any nutritionist will tell you there is no substitute for real food, and No i disagree, having a crap load of liquids does not equate to the same thing as having something in your stomach. Its like vitamins, your body will process what it needs during the time its in your stomach the rest will be discarded.

This reminds me of the 32Gi post last year where it became a known issue that if you take any sugar before the race, or during the race thats not 32Gi people bonked all over the show, can;t remember the title of the thread something like "32Gi this stuff rocks" where one of the official 32gi channels did an entire write up on how the product is supposed to work.

But the moral of the story is almost everyone that used the product alongside other boosters like GU / Hammer / Wasp gells, etc found they bonked almost immediatly after. One of the reasons ive never tried that stuff i need my sweet coffee before the race, And any nutritionist will tell you there is no substitute for real food, and No i disagree, having a crap load of liquids does not equate to the same thing as having something in your stomach. Its like vitamins, your body will process what it needs during the time its in your stomach the rest will be discarded.

Yeah, that's not right. Whatever I use should be in harmony with a supplement. This 32Ig stuff sounds hinky.

Yeah, that's not right. Whatever I use should be in harmony with a supplement. This 32Ig stuff sounds hinky.

lol i think so too but there are a lot of people that swear by it. I think its just one of those products that either it will work for you or it will seriously leave you in the ditch. I dont want to re-tract from the product and if it only works with their formulations thats fine by me too, but then slap HUGE ASS warning stickers on the bottle :D

For me on the Magalies adventure on the saturday that took us 5h30 for the 70km, it was water and PVM Octane.

Had a GU at around 50km when we were low mentally and physically. Also munched on bananas and a Fast Fuel fruit bar. Had GU chomps as a reserve.

Had water, Biogen and coke at all waterpoints. Had a bar-one a one also I think. Boerie at the halfway stop. (where I managed to t-bone my partner going into the singletrack, be sure to look for that during the tv coverage :P)

Breakfast was Oats with syrup, rooibos and a pvm fusion shake with a banana.

Rode lekker though it was slow and technical going mostly and neither of us could be called fit.

I normally do the 40k events so there its GU before and near the end and Octane and water, maybe a fruitbar and then flatbox all the way !

Hi all i did the diamond rush marathon at cullinan this weekend, it was my first 70km.

can someone tell me where i went wrong.

I carbo loaded two days before saturday with 32 gi, had future life for breakfast with no sugar ,a bottle a 32 gi on my bike and water in my pack,at every watering hole except for the last one i had a glass of 32 gi.

at the last watering hole there was about 11 kms left i decided to have a glass of coke,it wasnt 20 minutes,i lost all my energy ran out of water and almost felt like dying.

I did not finish well at all, was it the coke?

forgot to mention i also had 32 gi chews on me which i too every 30 mins,they did not help me at the end.

thanx for your feed back

70k / about 4 hrs, maybe you drank too much overall? You mentioned somewhere in the thread that you got nauseas?

To much liquid, not enough solids plus some exertion at high temperature = good recipe for nausea.

Don’t understand all the comments about 32GI not working with other stuff, rode the whole epic using 32GI as my main drink and what ever else I could find to drink (including coke) and eat at the water points, not to mention the raisins / nuts, baked potats, peanut butter and jam sandwiches I carried in my backpack.

Did I mention the 32GI chews I also used?

Edited by SwissVan

In bold: the secret to your success

Maar die ander ouens...... hulle se jy kan dit nie met ander goed meng...

Personally I think the heat was the biggest factor.

But I would love to have seen his HR profile compared to what he used to train with. My bet would be that put in extra effort without realising it. And with the heat conditions it just slammed him like a ton of bricks. I think most of us have been through it at least once.

Personally when I near the end of a race I am pretty gatvol of the energy drinks I was stuck with the past couple of hours. So getting a refil with ice cold coke is like heaven for me.

Lots of people swear by things like GU, 32gi and all of these other supplements. If it works for them, then great. That said, what works for me may not work for someone else and I think the best and worst thing about this is learning through trial and error what does work for you. If you plan to use 32gi then use it in training several times before the big race so that you know for sure how your body will react to it.

Personally I also feel that we will buy anything over the counter that sounds like it will give us that edge on race day, and yet most of us probably buy on impulse never reading the fine print. ("Use in conjunction with A+B+C, blah blah blah")

In the early 1990's a wonder product called 'Maxim' hit the markets and everyone went out to get it. I was one of them, and all it did for me was bloat me up like the Michelin man! My diet never changed, but the creatine within the product apparently caused me to bloat up. Took a trip to a sports doc and a nutritionalist to advise against the product. Turns out Oats also had an adverse effect on me, proving that what may work for another may not work for me!

My advice to you mr Madvics would be to use the "Piles of Miles" training plan, eat sufficiently and learn by experience. Just like we all have, and dont put to much hope in snake oils and magic bullets!

Lots of people swear by things like GU, 32gi and all of these other supplements. If it works for them, then great. That said, what works for me may not work for someone else and I think the best and worst thing about this is learning through trial and error what does work for you. If you plan to use 32gi then use it in training several times before the big race so that you know for sure how your body will react to it.

Personally I also feel that we will buy anything over the counter that sounds like it will give us that edge on race day, and yet most of us probably buy on impulse never reading the fine print. ("Use in conjunction with A+B+C, blah blah blah")

In the early 1990's a wonder product called 'Maxim' hit the markets and everyone went out to get it. I was one of them, and all it did for me was bloat me up like the Michelin man! My diet never changed, but the creatine within the product apparently caused me to bloat up. Took a trip to a sports doc and a nutritionalist to advise against the product. Turns out Oats also had an adverse effect on me, proving that what may work for another may not work for me!

My advice to you mr Madvics would be to use the "Piles of Miles" training plan, eat sufficiently and learn by experience. Just like we all have, and dont put to much hope in snake oils and magic bullets!

Agree with you 1000%, there is no such thing as a quick fix or miracle product and each person is unique and an individual, in actual fact my fastest 94.7 time came at 2:19 on water alone LOL, had a great pre-race meal of natural foods. I actually mainly train on water to make my body more efficient at using its own natural energy stores and rely very much on pre-fueling. As an endurance athlete, I plan my race nutrition very meticulously and I stick to the plan like glue, and of course understand exactly what works for me and does not. A lot of people try something on race day and never actually know how its going to impact them, the key to training is not just around training your muscles, endurance ability, strength and stamina, but training your energy system as well. One more thing I would like to add which I think is extremely important, I noticed on another forum, not on the hub, someone saying he prefers one drink because it has glutamine added, or protein added, or this mineral and this vitamin etc etc. Understand one thing if you get a whole lot of additives to an existing base drink, dont think u r getting bang for buck, as an example u get glutamine and you get GLUTAMINE, manufacturers that add in additives do not necessarily use the proper good stuff meaning as close to natural as possible. I use glutamine only when my body is under natural stress, not during every session, as I can promise u i take in plenty through natural eating, beware if u overload on glutamine it can lead to organ issues, you dont want to go there. So how do u know if u r taking in enough. Mentioned above in many posts, know what u are ingesting, and make it natural as possible, I used this Glutamine issue as an example,it is relative to many many products in the market. If you are not sure where your deficiencies lie, go for a medical get a full blood count, glucose, feritine and liver function test. Check if your body is in order, when last did u get yours?

Some food for thought.