Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

OK read the thread and I am ready to give it a go, I have a million reasons for stopping smoking and only 1 for still smoking, fact is I have hated smoking for a long time and it is only the fear of the withdrawl that has kept me smoking for the last year or so. So as of now I am a non-smoker (hopefully)

being an imagitive person they way I look at it is I am at the bottom of the biggest climb of my life and full of worry and fear about the climb ahead, but I know how to climb this mother of a hill, one pedal at a time head down and embrace the pain cause then I know I am heading towards the top, really looking forward to that point when you just know you can climb all the way to the top even though you still have a long way to go, you just know inside that you will make it all the way. (need a determined emoticon but the re isn't one)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with that my problem is I actually enjoy smoking.

Most addicts enjoy what they do, I enjoy cycling and running.

Be careful with what you eat/drink...now that you quit smoking you probably eat more.

Im eating the same, if not better then before. No more then 3 coffees during the day, the last one being a 3.00pm. :huh:

Be careful with what you eat/drink...now that you quit smoking you probably eat more.

FACT!

+ 3kgs in first month. The wife has now stocked up on granola bars and vita snax... ;)

OK read the thread and I am ready to give it a go, I have a million reasons for stopping smoking and only 1 for still smoking, fact is I have hated smoking for a long time and it is only the fear of the withdrawl that has kept me smoking for the last year or so. So as of now I am a non-smoker (hopefully)

being an imagitive person they way I look at it is I am at the bottom of the biggest climb of my life and full of worry and fear about the climb ahead, but I know how to climb this mother of a hill, one pedal at a time head down and embrace the pain cause then I know I am heading towards the top, really looking forward to that point when you just know you can climb all the way to the top even though you still have a long way to go, you just know inside that you will make it all the way. (need a determined emoticon but the re isn't one)

Good for you, give it a go, if you never try, you will never know!!

FACT!

+ 3kgs in first month. The wife has now stocked up on granola bars and vita snax... ;)

Ive dropped about 2 kgs, so not FACT for me. Im eating better and training more, longer & harder to compensate. Then again it depends on the individual :)

Last time i quite smoking i went from 88kg's (Which was stable for about 5 years) to 96KG in a 6 month period, started smoking again and stable on 96kg since then.

I am losing weight since I quit, decided to live a healthier lifestyle.

No smokes

Less beer

No Red Bull

Less snacks

Less coffee

Run 2km every morning (don't have a bicycle yet)

Ive dropped about 2 kgs, so not FACT for me. Im eating better and training more, longer & harder to compensate. Then again it depends on the individual :)

If I was or if I ever was a smoker, you would have been an inspiration to me.

You seem to have your head screwed on with titanium bolts.

If I was or if I ever was a smoker, you would have been an inspiration to me.

You seem to have your head screwed on with titanium bolts.

Ive never been more committed about anything changing in my life. :) Im also a little bit OCD so it helps. Im now commited more with my training. Ive focused more - I feel you have too. I hope it doesn't sound arrogant though.

Some how I got an imaginery kick up my arse. Works going great as well, just got a nice raise, better working hours(less hours in fact, more riding time) So happy days for me :D

Substitute that 3pm cuppa with a cup of tea and you should be a little better in the sleep department - stay away from the sleep tabs they are not needed, only tabs you need is a good vitamin supplement.

Well done Gregzilla! You will find the hill is not as steep and long as you are told, but there are some really steep switchbacks now and then. You also forgot about the awesome downhill that awaits you on the other side. Crack is almost there. Keep it up.

Oh yes, love the interest the non-smokers take in the smoking thread.

Substitute that 3pm cuppa with a cup of tea and you should be a little better in the sleep department - stay away from the sleep tabs they are not needed, only tabs you need is a good vitamin supplement.

Ecstacy is good for cyclists. Isn't that what Jan Ulrich was caught with in his blood when they suspended him?

Maybe they were scared he would stop the peleton and try to hug everyone, lol.

Ive never been more committed about anything changing in my life. :) Im also a little bit OCD so it helps. Im now commited more with my training. Ive focused more - I feel you have to. I hope it doesn't sound arrogant though.

Some how I got an imaginery kick up my arse. Works going great as well, just got a nice raise, better working hours(less hours in fact, more riding time) So happy days for me :D

Not arrogant at all, in all me years of competitive cycling the biggest pleasure I derive is that from people lifting their commitment up a notch and then seeing the joy when they exceed their own expectations, just don't become like me and train too much.

Not arrogant at all, in all me years of competitive cycling the biggest pleasure I derive is that from people lifting their commitment up a notch and then seeing the joy when they exceed their own expectations, just don't become like me and train too much.

It does help that I'm not entirely going through this alone, which I never had the previous times Ive tried to give up. That I can explain how I'm feeling and someone is feeling the same way ;) . Big up to all the other chaps going through this as well(its damn hard,something only a smoker will ever know), youve all helped make this tough time so much more bearable, youve been my inspiration too. I can definatly see the light at the end of the tunnel getting brighter & brighter by the day. :D