Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Damn...25 days for me. Its been the hardest 3 weeks in my life.

Yes but it gets better, interestingly enough unlike many people suggest that it takes 3 days for nicotine to leave your body this is not true - it is more like 2 hours and it's gone.

A few of the side effects that I had was a very bad tingling sensation in my stomach especially when I sat down as well as pins and needles - doc said it was nothing to worry about just the good ol oxygen returning to my system. Lasted about 2 weeks.

Also notice how much more RED your blood is - it is a much lighter red and flows more smoothly unlike the sludge you used to have.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep waking up at the same time in a sweatsince I stopped, not sure what thats about? :unsure:

Had the same - also found it difficult to sleep properly

What to expect

Actual Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms

These are temporary and aren't much fun. You might get none, some, or all and more!

Your mind will play tricks on you and try to dominate your thoughts. Mood swings, loneliness, lack of concentration, emptiness, agitation, stress, anger, self-pity, and just general crankiness might happen.

Headaches or a general heaviness. This is a classic smoking withdrawal symptom, often caused by your sinuses clearing out.

Shaking, sweating or feeling very cold.

Coughing, hacking, runny nose, wheezing and shortness of breath. Seems strange to get these when you've quit, but your body is ridding itself of years of tar and built-up residues. In other words, at last taking the opportunity of having a good clean-out.

Insommnia is common. Well, it is stressful to quit and break your normal patterns. As with all stress — good or bad, sleep challenges can surface.

Sour stomach or stomach pains. Your digestion might get out of whack for a little while.

Pains, pains, pains. Some smokers get stomach cramps, sore gums, pains in chest... pains anywhere. Your mind and body are going through a healing crisis and they are going to remind you of what they are missing.

Tiredness and a general zapped feeling.

Had the same - also found it difficult to sleep properly

Ive been getting by on about 4 hrs sleep a night since I stopped. Thats even after 2 hrs of gym training a night. Weird :unsure:

21 days no smoking for me and 18 for my girlfriend

Check this out http://whyquit.com/

Wow, anyone who gobs off about how great smoking is should read those 'We died young' stories, sobering stuff indeed..

Ive been getting by on about 4 hrs sleep a night since I stopped. Thats even after 2 hrs of gym training a night. Weird :unsure:

I think just generally after quitting you get by on less sleep but at the moment your body is just busy adapting to its new "environment". Some strange cr#p goes on for the first few months and then you feel "normal" again.

I probably save about R1100.00 a month by not smoking. Probably R2000.00 including the girlfriend not smoking.

I used to be big into road cycling, now my girlfriend and I are going to put the saved money to good use and start MTB together.

BTW, when you stop smoking you should cut your caffeine intake by 50% as your brain is much more sensative to caffeine.

I probably save about R1100.00 a month by not smoking. Probably R2000.00 including the girlfriend not smoking.

I used to be big into road cycling, now my girlfriend and I are going to put the saved money to good use and start MTB together.

BTW, when you stop smoking you should cut your caffeine intake by 50% as your brain is much more sensative to caffeine.

Thats a good point - Ive cut down from about 6 coffees a day to 3 maybe 4.

Damn this not being able to sleep - I hope this gets better soon :unsure: . Not sure how long I can go by getting by on 3 hrs sleep a night - I definatly wont be smoking though.

lol so quitting smoking would be really bad for me i drink at least 30 cups a day :) could never survive on only 15 cuppa's

Damn this not being able to sleep - I hope this gets better soon :unsure: . Not sure how long I can go by getting by on 3 hrs sleep a night - I definatly wont be smoking though.

Take a sleeping tab for two or three nights, you will soon be back in routine.

Be careful with what you eat/drink...now that you quit smoking you probably eat more.

I would stay away from sleeping tabs... Your body will recover on its own after 5 days/nights most of the nicotine is out and you start normalizing. Also remember that Caffeine packs a massive punch now as smoking numbed your senses so stay away for coffee/coke etc for now. Also try not to compensate by eating more due to that empty feeling... otherwise you will have confused nicotine cravings for hunger. Deal with the pang..

Ask your doc to get you SANDOZ 10mg sleeping tabs, they basically just put you to sleep with none of the other effects from sleeping tabs. No drowzines etc. If you take one and need to get up and do stuff you dont even feel like you have had one.

It sort of just switches your brain of and puts you to sleep and then feels like they work out within a hour or two and normal sleep patterns take over

My internal clock sometimes goes bonky and I cant sleep at all during the night, I take these for 5 days just to reset the clock and then I'm fine for months in a regular sleeping pattern.