Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Well done! Keep it up!

I went for accupuncture at a clinic in Randburg. Haven't had any cravings or pangs. I could stop with Allan Carr, but after 5 days or so I was back smoking.

Have you noticed any gains in cycling/running/gym?

I've definatly noticed an improvment all round - Ive just gone the willpower route, so far so good. All cravings have gone now. Went out to a pub(I dont drink) on Sat night and was fine. I did go through a bit of hell the first three days. I believe totally it is up to the individual as too when they can stop, no amount of anti smoking bombardment was going to do it. I just decieded enough was enough and quit( although that took a while to get to) :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reached the 2 week marked today.... B) One more week and then I have reached my milestone! Going strong!!!

Good work - 10 days for me :)

There was a post which I noticed about losing your voice - this is normal in the first few days as all the cr#p is coming loose from your chest, you will also notice that you tend to spit out a lot more rubbish in the first few months whilst riding - this is a good thing. Anyways well done to all of you who have kicked the habit!!!

Taken from a post of mine in 2009 - Still going strong over 1 year later and have never looked back. I am sure the savings are even larger these days!!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

So for all you smokers out there let me share some stats with you and maybe this could be the thing to convince you to kick the habit.

On the 2nd Feb 2009 I put down my cigs, so it is almost 2 months now since I last had one. Now make no mistake this is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life, but on analysing a few things today it is probably also the best thing I have done in my life.

Check it out

Before

Resting HR - 52

Normal HR - 88

Money on cigs PM- R775

Money on beer PM - R1536

Energy Levels - Non Existent

Cycling experience - Good legs no Lungs

After Ride - Sleep

After

Resting HR - 38

Normal HR - 68

Money on Cigs PM - R0

Money on beer PM - R512

Energy Levels - I feel like I am permanently on Red Bull

Cycling Experience - Good Lungs no legs

After Ride - Wonder around wondering why I didn't ride for longer

TOTAL SAVING R1799 Per Month!!!

I am under no illusions that I am over the habit as it has only been barely 2 months, but upon reflection of a few things other than those posted above - such as my quality of life each day I find new excuses not to pick up a cigarette.

One thing that is noticable is that the Booze bill came down which is great as I have now found that I drink a heck of a lot less without the cigs which is also a welcome surprise to the bank account.

There was a post which I noticed about losing your voice - this is normal in the first few days as all the cr#p is coming loose from your chest, you will also notice that you tend to spit out a lot more rubbish in the first few months whilst riding - this is a good thing. Anyways well done to all of you who have kicked the habit!!!

Taken from a post of mine in 2009 - Still going strong over 1 year later and have never looked back. I am sure the savings are even larger these days!!

So for all you smokers out there let me share some stats with you and maybe this could be the thing to convince you to kick the habit.

On the 2nd Feb 2009 I put down my cigs, so it is almost 2 months now since I last had one. Now make no mistake this is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life, but on analysing a few things today it is probably also the best thing I have done in my life.

Check it out

Before

Resting HR - 52

Normal HR - 88

Money on cigs PM- R775

Money on beer PM - R1536

After Ride - Sleep

After

Resting HR - 38

Normal HR - 68

Money on Cigs PM - R0

Money on beer PM - R512

I am under no illusions that I am over the habit as it has only been barely 2 months, but upon reflection of a few things other than those posted above - such as my quality of life each day I find new excuses not to pick up a cigarette.

One thing that is noticable is that the Booze bill came down which is great as I have now found that I drink a heck of a lot less without the cigs which is also a welcome surprise to the bank account.

Good going :) Im not saving any money as the wife seems to think we both have extra cash :angry: - So wants to be wines & dined. Thats happened once and was quickly stopped :P

Check it out

Before

Resting HR - 52

Normal HR - 88

Money on cigs PM- R775

Money on beer PM - R1536

After Ride - Sleep

After

Resting HR - 38

Normal HR - 68

Money on Cigs PM - R0

Money on beer PM - R512

Brilliant! Put very nicely showing the wonderful gains... especially your Heart rate! Amazing what a person subjects there heart to by smoking.. now imaginf all the other organs in the body.. not just Lungs and heart

You don't drink, you don't smoke, you don't screw...what are you living for then? :D :D :D :D

I just screw the wife more and ride the bike more & for longer now - also got some extra cash(well not just yet) but will spend it on my other hobby(new bodyboard) then after that It all goes towards cycling :)

Damn...25 days for me. Its been the hardest 3 weeks in my life.

VASBYT!! You've come this far....do not stumble now!!

Damn...25 days for me. Its been the hardest 3 weeks in my life.

Woo hoo for you, I cant wait to get the 1 month done & dusted. I honestly dont get anymore cravings. Ive almost sub-consciensly deleted it out :unsure: