Deep section wheels

SURFER

Apologies for the snip snip than the lighter wheel... ?

Hijack offsmile.gif

Refer to my two posts above...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to get set of deep section wheels. What is the best option for front and back?

Front 60mm and back 80mm?

Also do I go for clinchers or tubbies?

Personal opinion is to go for min 48mm and max 60mm deep sections. For road racing this is a good depth as deeper does not offer that much of an advantage unless you off the front solo for 40-50km. Check out how stiff they are as this affects sprinting and cornering.

I would recommend tubbies if youu can afford R500 plus a puncture and don't go cheap on tubbies as then there is no real point with having a poor high rolling resistant rubber compared to the more expensive lower rolling resistant ones. Another great thing about tubbies is that when you puncture they stay on your rim so it is safer compared to riding rim metal with a clincher wheel that has rolled it tyre off.

Personally I would go for wheels in the following order:

HED 60mm front and rear - they are faster than Zipps according to testing done in USA (can't remember magazine) and cheaper

Zipp 404 front and rear - good solid wheel with good aero

Campy Bora Ultra II - They have cone bearings which run ultra smooth and are rock solid

I have not ridden other makes so cannot judge or give an opinion.

I like it hard :D and run my tubbies at 11 to 12 bar, clinchers only at 8 to 9 bar

My clinchers are pumped to 9.5 Bar - got Schwalbe Ultramo ZX's.

I like it hard :D and run my tubbies at 11 to 12 bar, clinchers only at 8 to 9 bar

And Vittorias you can pump to 10BAR!!!!!!! My favorite!

And Vittorias you can pump to 10BAR!!!!!!! My favorite!

On what wheels?

Zipp 404 can only take 125psi/8.5 bar max ;)

Easton can handle 9 bar max.

Bontrager 8.5 bar max.

Mavic 9 bar max

HED 9 bar

Edited by gummibear

Can your rim handle that pressure?

They seem to be fine. Will google them quickly for specs. The rim tape that came with them says max pressure 10 bar - and they were in when I bought the wheelset.

They seem to be fine. Will google them quickly for specs. The rim tape that came with them says max pressure 10 bar - and they were in when I bought the wheelset.

What wheels do you ride?

I can see it all comes down to personal pref and costs. Any comments (Feedbacks) on the Mavic deep sections???

:blink: DONNER!!!!! :blink:

Will check my wheels tonight.... although I am sure they have improved the rim integrity since the wh-r500 was released?

I have seen that happen on quite a few wheels.Mostly because guys pump the wheels at a garage pump and then the bead pops off.

On what wheels?

Zipp 404 can only take 125psi/8.5 bar max ;)

Easton can handle 9 bar max.

Bontrager 8.5 bar max.

Mavic 9 bar max

HED 9 bar

Campy Shamal Ultra