Deep section wheels

SURFER

I have a set of the same (cosmic sl) wheels. They are great and if I push a little at the front it is easy to open up a gap. They are heavier to climb but not "slower" than my training wheels.

Since I'm a heavier rider I even ride deep sections (52mm) in the wind, no problems .....

I don't think that wheel weight (with in reason) makes such a big difference for us heavier riders

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son is looking for wheels. He is into racing. His weight is +70kg (not sure).

He is starting to nag me about getting deep sections. He say he will pay money back ???

He saw the Blackspade wheels, price not to bad compared to some other brands. I am doing some research before buying, would like to buy the right wheels

I have a set of Agogo full carbon clinchers, weigh in at 1440grams for the set. Awesome wheelset!

I have a set of Agogo full carbon clinchers, weigh in at 1440grams for the set. Awesome wheelset!

Agree - nothing on the market that comes close to the weight and ride in terms of R/kg!!!

Agree - nothing on the market that comes close to the weight and ride in terms of R/kg!!!

Exactly!! They also look super awesome and paid around R7500 for them

post-14028-0-59736800-1319638428.jpg

How would they compare with the Ness wheels that Kiwi sells?

The Zeniths are about 215g lighter per set. Both Zenith's are 50mm versus 38mm/50mm for the Ness Combo. QR's supplied with Zeniths are Ti that weighs 44g a set. We also supply 3 free spokes for the wheels in case some break. And we will throw in free valve adapters :) Campag bodies also available...

Blackspade wheels seem to offer a decent package as well as Sentiinel. Maybe some fellow hubbers that are using these wheels can give some feedback? For your son I would recommend a profile of not more than 50mm on the front.

I agree, would also like some feedback on Blackspade wheels

We generally recommend our maximum limit at 275 lbs. That is not to say that every Zipp wheel is right (or wrong) for you. We strongly believe in having the right wheel for the right application. The needs of a 220 lb sprinter are different from those of a 115 lb triathlete. If you are at or above 190 lbs, we strongly recommend you consider the MAX 404 or 808. These wheels have additional spokes that offer better stiffness and cornering confidence for someone at that weight. Keep in mind - this is a guideline. There are very strong riders at 180 lbs who may prefer the MAX, and very smooth-riding 225 lb riders who may prefer the standard wheel.

Recommended maximum weight for specific wheels:

190 lbs (86kg) for 202 and 303 tubular

225 lbs (102kg) for Team Issue, 404, 808, and 1080

Above 190 lbs (86kg), consider MAX 404 and 808

275 lbs (125kg): Cyclocross, MAX, Track, Disc wheels

Tire choice depends highly on user preference and conditions. To summarize, a 21mm has superior aerodynamics with our rims; a 23mm is larger and subsequently has better ride quality and rim protection, but at a slight aero penalty. Here are some questions you can ask that will help guide your decision:

Triathlon/Time trial? In general – 21mm.

Road racing? In general – 23mm.

Training and/or daily riding? 23mm+

Dry? 21mm at normal recommended pressure.

Wet? 23mm at a slightly lower pressure.

Smooth roads? 21mm at normal recommended pressure.

Rough roads? 23mm at a slightly lower pressure.

User prefers slight aero benefit of 21's at the expense of a little ride comfort, rim protection, and rolling resistance? Use 21mm.

User prefers slightly better ride comfort, rim protection, and rolling resistance of 23's at the expense of a little aero? Use 23mm.

Rider weighs less? 21mm.

Rider weighs more? 23mm.

thanks, only spotted this now

Where is this referenced from? 10mm vs 0.7in looks a bit suspect.

It's from the Campagnola site,page 14 on the teck spec for wheels.

My link

Catalog

Icycling on this forum is the South African distributor (Peter Wheeler).

I don't want to jeopardize my wheels but these are great.

But I have the STEALTH PBO WHEEL SET.

My link

Catalog

Icycling on this forum is the South African distributor (Peter Wheeler).

I don't want to jeopardize my wheels but these are great.

But I have the STEALTH PBO WHEEL SET.

Not knocking the Spinergy's at all. I like the customising concept. Peter is a great guy to deal with. I have referred quite a few mates to him who were very happy with their dealings.

• 2 months later...

I come in at 73 kgs with a sub 7 kg bike using Cosmics 52 mm front and rear here in the Western Cape.

Heading out tomorrow to ride the Argus route with 21 - 25 km/h wind with 30 - 32 km/h gusts forecasted.

IN GENERAL:

At what point do I put my deep sections away?

At what point is some wobbliness in the handling normal in the cross winds?

Packing my Ksyrium front wheel, lightweight climbing wheel, in the boot - just in case... :huh: