Deep section wheels

SURFER

It depends a bit on the wheels and your handling skills.

Looking at drag data here: http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011, it appears that the Mavics start stalling around 10° wind angle (around 5km/h cross wind, riding at 30km/h), and perform worse than shallow box section rims at higher cross sections. Other wheels, such as Zipps or Bontragers, perform well even in a cross wind. They will always have a performance advantage, so the choice comes down to whether or not you feel you can handle them.

In your case, you'd lose performance in all but moderate cross winds, so you'd put the wheels away.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My next buy will prob be Firecrest 404, front and 808, back.

:drool:

One day when I'm big, it'll be Lightweights.

:drool:

At what point do I put my deep sections away?

NEVA! :thumbup:

Thou shalt not remove deep sections once installed! Your steed will appear naked without them!

It is really not as bad as some make it out to be, ok unless you weight 49kg's or something stupid.

Youll get used to handling them quickly ... but no more free handing in the wind! ;)

Thou shalt not remove deep sections once installed! Your steed will appear naked without them!

It is really not as bad as some make it out to be, ok unless you weight 49kg's or something stupid.

Youll get used to handling them quickly ... but no more free handing in the wind! ;)

:lol: :lol:

It depends a bit on the wheels and your handling skills.

Looking at drag data here: http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011, it appears that the Mavics start stalling around 10° wind angle (around 5km/h cross wind, riding at 30km/h), and perform worse than shallow box section rims at higher cross sections. Other wheels, such as Zipps or Bontragers, perform well even in a cross wind. They will always have a performance advantage, so the choice comes down to whether or not you feel you can handle them.

In your case, you'd lose performance in all but moderate cross winds, so you'd put the wheels away.

Great article.

The Zipp 808s really seem to rock!

Edited by ' Dale

My deep sections were a giant nuisance riding in crosswinds.

but I am close to the apparent 49kg threshold as tankman described :lol:

I can agree here, I am very tempted to keep my deep sections on even when training, just look at the pics and see how naked she looks without those wheels....I felt a huge increase in speed and performance with my deep sections...and if you not faster, atleast you look awesome!

Pic without deep sections (I know I upgraded groupset etc)

post-14028-0-72871900-1325881475.jpg

Edited by MTB_Roadie

lowered the headset too :thumbup:

You should take a spirit level to your seat, it looks very sloped downwards and besides being non-compliant with UCI rules it also puts extra strain on muscles that shouldn't be strained.

Apparently.

You should take a spirit level to your seat, it looks very sloped downwards and besides being non-compliant with UCI rules it also puts extra strain on muscles that shouldn't be strained.

Look at the back - that stand makes the rear wheel about 3-4cm higher off the ground than the front. I reckon the saddle is level.

Edit: the wheels are likely non UCI-compliant anyway. Any wheel with a section greater than 2.5cm is considered non-standard and must be specifically tested for compliance. Here is a list of all wheels that have been tested and comply (those ones don't appear to be on it):

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTYwNzQ&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NjQxNjY&LangId=1

I don't think UCI compliance is a major issue for the racing that most people in SA do, though.

Edited by Edman

So, my strategy today was to have a standard wheel in front and kept the 52 mm Cosmic at the back.

The performance felt good, not great, although the Cape Peninsula winds were tough today.

I wonder whether it is better to ride with the same wheelset?

Another guy had both his Cosmics on.

He worked hard to keep 'em upright.

Got blown off his line up Smitswinkel Pass and had to stop.

Other than that, it worked out fine.

So, my strategy today was to have a standard wheel in front and kept the 52 mm Cosmic at the back.

The performance felt good, not great, although the Cape Peninsula winds were tough today.

I wonder whether it is better to ride with the same wheelset?

Another guy had both his Cosmics on.

He worked hard to keep 'em upright.

Got blown off his line up Smitswinkel Pass and had to stop.

Other than that, it worked out fine.

Got my Cosmic SL's last week and done 2 rides on them (both afternoon rides around the passes in the south with strong winds). Got to say they are pretty horrible in the wind! Would not like to take them out when the wind really is blowing properly (and I'm no lightweight rider)... Would be very interested to compare them to 404's in the wind - apparently the Mavic's are far from the best in wind. But, they really look awesome on my bike and I will not give in and take them off! My time's also seem to have improved a bit over a 55km training ride both times I've been out (hard to say whether it's the wheels though, will need to do a few tests with both sets of wheels first).

From my very limited experience of them and lack of anything to compare them to, I would probably recommend trying a few other brands before going for the Cosmics.

All of those Chinese blank wheels that have been rebranded are basically the same, but built with different spokes (generally they use Novatec hubs also under varying brands - nothing wrong with them at all). The standard bladed spokes a lot of them have are heavy so very possible to save close to 200g's just by changing those. In my view, pick the cheapest ones and go with those if you want them... Remember you can always import them yourself for around R5k so make sure the price seems reasonable in comparison to that.

I am a Liquigas fan and they use Cosmics.

And, yeah, Zipp and Lightweight are my top choices, Edge Design.

Maybe the Cosmics are fine for those fine Italian mornings, but in the extremely windy Cape mornings... Haha!

In easy and moderate winds, they are cool.

lowered the headset too :thumbup:

How the hell do you lower a headset? By cutting the fork blades I take it?

How the hell do you lower a headset? By cutting the fork blades I take it?

I mean re-arranged the spacer order x_x...

• 3 years later...

REVIVAL!!!!

OK Thinking of buying bad-ass look-cool super-aero deep sections. I'm a 90kg strongish rider very comfortable with handling a bike, planning only doing TTs & Tri's.

Anyone have experience of using Tri-spokes vs 80mms or such? EL 70.3 is the next target, is an 80 still  best in the strong wind if one can handle it?

Done lots of reading on the interwebs - looking for the infinite experience, wisdom and tact only Hubbers can give.

Takes?