Cricket......

E1A104

The choker tag is now finally shed hey

Especially after the knock-out victory over the Lankans.

Two worthy opponents and a tight contest today.

McCullum drew first blood and it got the Kiwis in with a sniff as the Proteas total was formidable.

The Vern wasn't match fit and Abbott was the better pick of the day.

The missed catches might've made a difference to the outcome as these games are all about seizing opportunities and transferring pressure onto one's foe.

And we really won't know.

Hope the Kiwis raise the cup!

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of the rain interruption we could not follow our plan for a big total that we knew we needed ,so we had to adapt to our detriment .NZ was always going to be the favorite at home and with such a small outfield and an attainable total .Our plan was to post the biggest total and defend .I think we played better than them  .Rub of the Green !!! 

Edited by Blitzer

Don't think he will make our squad

was only a late inclusion in theirs. Got dropped twice on the way to the innings of his life. Deserved man of the match

Watched this match live (and yes, sorry, I was supporting the Black Caps, after all I've lived here for over 4 years). Absolutely excellent game of cricket. And Blitzer, guess what, the Kiwis played a better game, it is reflected in the outcome. SA's fielding and especially the dropped catch and two missed runouts are what lost the match for them.

Full credit though - SA played a magnificent game, making for one of the best matches I've ever watched (I'd previously reserved that for the earlier NZ/Aus game.)

Watched this match live (and yes, sorry, I was supporting the Black Caps, after all I've lived here for over 4 years). Absolutely excellent game of cricket. And Blitzer, guess what, the Kiwis played a better game, it is reflected in the outcome. SA's fielding and especially the dropped catch and two missed runouts are what lost the match for them.

Full credit though - SA played a magnificent game, making for one of the best matches I've ever watched (I'd previously reserved that for the earlier NZ/Aus game.)

Wouldn't say they played a better game..just made better use of their opportunities...I thought our game plan was spot on....and then we had to adjust it quickly because of the rain...but still did that well

turncoat!!

When it comes this close, there's very little separating the sides. There are so many 'what ifs' that it's actually pointless trying to split them out. The biggest one is 'what if it didn't rain'. ABdV could have got 175* and then Kane Williamson's dropped catch would have been what cost them.

Since you were there, do you think behardien/duminy didn't call for the catch, or it was so damn loud that they got drowned out?

turncoat!!

When it comes this close, there's very little separating the sides. There are so many 'what ifs' that it's actually pointless trying to split them out. The biggest one is 'what if it didn't rain'. ABdV could have got 175* and then Kane Williamson's dropped catch would have been what cost them.

Since you were there, do you think behardien/duminy didn't call for the catch, or it was so damn loud that they got drowned out?

read that article i posted a few posts back - de kock says it was insanely loud

Nex time they play rugby there in front of a full house, watch the hooker walking to his jumpers to give them the line out call. Thats how loud it gets there. 

don't want to be a killjoy and ruin it for you. but that wasn't Quinny writing that.

so Steyn couldn't defend 12 in the final over. Exactly a year earlier, this happened against NZ in an ICC tournament.

End of over 19 (14 runs) New Zealand 164/5 (7 runs required from 6 balls, RR: 8.63, RRR: 7.00)

• LRPL Taylor62 (36b 4x4 3x6)
    • L Ronchi5 (2b 1x4)
    • M Morkel3-0-50-0
    • DW Steyn3-0-13-2

Can Steyn do it? If anyone can, he can.

Steyn to Ronchi, OUT, wow, what a start to the over from Steyn, gets the wicket of Ronchi, full ball just outside off, Ronchi backs away and looks to cross-bat it through the off side, a thick edge and de Kock does well to dive to his right to collect that, Steyn on fire

L Ronchi c †de Kock b Steyn 5 (12m 3b 1x4 0x6) SR: 166.66

Fine leg and third man deep.

Steyn to NL McCullum, no run, dot ball, Nathan McCullum what are you thinking? looking to whack that 143kph length ball out of the park, just get bat on ball and hand it to Taylor

Steyn to NL McCullum, no run, another dot ball, 148kph from Steyn, pace and on short of a length just outside off, McCullum looking to work the ball to the leg side, can't get bat on it, can't get a bye either

Steyn to NL McCullum, FOUR, this time Nathan McCullum connects, well enough to get a boundary, a length ball that N Mac pummels over extra cover, he shuffles across when Steyn was running in, then went back towards a normal position

Steyn to NL McCullum, OUT, Steyn gets another one, but Taylor is back on strike for the final ball, three needed, what a ripper this game is turning into, it was shortish and wide, hit the bottom of the bat as that looped towards extra cover, Faf has time to get around and collect it, Super Over coming up?

NL McCullum c du Plessis b Steyn 4 (3m 4b 1x4 0x6) SR: 100.00

Long discussion over the field.

Steyn to Taylor, OUT, Steyn has done it! what a champion, this is sensational stuff, the final ball is well outside off, pitched up, Taylor can only bunt it back towards Steyn, who coolly collects it and runs towards the non-striker's end to complete the run-out, after that he is not cool any more, sprinting around in celebration before being surrounded by his team-mates, five dot balls in the final over, that is incredible stuff,wow, I could use a breather

LRPL Taylor run out 62 (68m 37b 4x4 3x6) SR: 167.56

don't want to be a killjoy and ruin it for you. but that wasn't Quinny writing that.

well whoever wrote it - same applies :D

I was in a boardroom and couldn't watch the game

Read on cricinfo about the emotionality of the players when that six was struck and the game was lost

Sounds intense hey

Awesome to see realness from the players.

They left nothing out there and prepared very wellwhich is all can ask for as a fan.

GO PROTEAFIRE!!!