E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much.

I like what Fresh said on 5FM this morning:

cheering for Australia to beat Pakistan just so SA can progress in the T20 WC, is like suggesting to your partner that you bring in a third party to the bedroom, but insisting that it has to be an Australian
Edited by Bianchi

The tag of chokers should only apply when a team is in a commanding position and then manages to throw it away. Being a highly rated team and not winning a tournament, or coming up against a brilliant individual or team performance on the day - does not make a side choke. Failing to win the WC in the '99 semis was a choke. Most of the other WC losses were just losses.

It's more difficult to win the T20 WC than the 50 over limited over edition. The more you reduce the overs, the more it becomes a game of chance. So, in this game of chance it is good to get a couple of losses under the belt because it is highly unlikely that a team will win this thing unbeaten. Better to run a string of wins together from now - assuming that the stars and the crescent moon align in our favour this afternoon.

Good luck to the Proteas. They are going to need it.

Interesting. I watched the interview with Cap'n Smiff at the New Age Business Leaders thing a couple of weeks ago, and the obvious question of the chokers tag was raised. He had a different view to you.

This might be bad taste, but I am sure you will understand :P

LOSE PAKISTAN!!! LOSE!!

How sad, that such comments make the team lose supporters.

Interesting. I watched the interview with Cap'n Smiff at the New Age Business Leaders thing a couple of weeks ago, and the obvious question of the chokers tag was raised. He had a different view to you.

About the choking tag or about reduced overs being more of a game of chance?

About the choking tag

In not so many words, he admitted they had let the supporters down by being in touch of the prize numerous times and failing to bring it home. he suggested that they as a team needed to work on their attitude and mindset in these situations.

In not so many words, he admitted they had let the supporters down by being in touch of the prize numerous times and failing to bring it home. he suggested that they as a team needed to work on their attitude and mindset in these situations.

Okay. That makes sense.

I'm just not sure the definition is applied properly. Otherwise competitors often pipped at the finish line could be seen to be choking.

I have pretty much stopped watching cricket.

I don't enjoy watching the Proteas bomb out in every tournament or hoping that this team beats that team for SA to go to the next round, just to crash out in any case.

We have a couple of brilliant individual players but as a team they really suck

The true test is still the 5 day game which I find much better to watch than T20.

Honestly, limited overs is no real test of technique.

How sad, that such comments make the team lose supporters.

It was a tongue in the cheek comment, and should be taken as such.

I could also have said "GO AUSTRALIA GO!!", but that would blasphemy.

In that sense it is then a Lose : Lose situation.

Oz bowling first.

Look sharp as Pakistan cannot get away.

One dropped catch though already - a sitter in the slips.

I have pretty much stopped watching cricket.

I don't enjoy watching the Proteas bomb out in every tournament or hoping that this team beats that team for SA to go to the next round, just to crash out in any case.

We have a couple of brilliant individual players but as a team they really suck

I'm the same way! No longer get all amped to watch or sucked in to support. Over the whole situation where the team can't get the basics right when it matters most or not using the obvious potential of otehr players in a given situation better.

Okay. That makes sense.

I'm just not sure the definition is applied properly. Otherwise competitors often pipped at the finish line could be seen to be choking.

I would have agreed in the past, but the thing is the proteas tend to play differently in these tourney's than in regular series - like they playing with fear. IN that context I actually think the term fits. At this point they can't even argue anymore - they will only shake the tag when they pick up a WC...