28 BC Lara (466444) RJ Peterson West Indies v South Africa Johannesburg 2003-04

28 GJ Bailey (462466) JM Anderson Australia v England Perth 2013-14

27 Shahid Afridi (666621) Harbhajan Singh Pakistan v India Lahore 2005-06

26 CD McMillan (444464) Younis Khan New Zealand v Pakistan Hamilton 2000-01

26 BC Lara (406664) Danish Kaneria West Indies v Pakistan Multan 2006-07

26 MG Johnson (446066) PL Harris Australia v South Africa Johannesburg 2008-09

26 BB McCullum (466046) RAS Lakmal New Zealand v Sri Lanka Christchurch 2014-15

25 AME Roberts (46266L) IT Botham West Indies v England Port-of-Spain 1980-81

25 B Sutcliffe (66061) & RW Blair(600) HJ Tayfield New Zealand v South Africa Johannesburg 1953-54

25 NJ Astle (666L0) & CL Cairns (41) AR Caddick New Zealand v England Christchurch 2001-02

25 RR Sarwan (44444nb40) MM Patel West Indies v India Basseterre 2006

25 AB de Villiers (66661w) AB McDonald South Africa v Australia Cape Town 2008-09

25 LRPL Taylor (.nb41666) & JS Patel (1) NM Hauritz New Zealand v Australia Hamilton 2009-10

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, the proposal is for 98 overs to be played each day, probably within 7 hours which will necessitate a change in playing schedule. the point I also made a while back is exactly what you okes are making now, they cannot bowl 90 overs in 6.5 hours, how the hell are they going to bowl 98 in 7?

loads of faffing.

fining the captain doesn't seem to do much.

I reckon you got 30 overs in a session.  Add 15 runs for every over not bowled, unpires can ensure batsmen don't waste time.

Shebeen, how good was that Aussie side???? joh... we weren't that bad except for Andre Nel and Boeta Dippenaar. Andre Nel was a joke. And Boeta never looked like he belonged, another example of being good at domestic level but not good enough for international cricket.

moer, that aussie side only needed 4 bowlers to take 20 wickets EVERY test match (McGrath, Lee, Gillespie, Warne)

Day 5 - Session 1: South Africa trail by 145 runs with 1 wicket remaining

this will always be the most dissapointing for me. going into the series world #1 playing #2 at home. innings and 360 runs!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15393/game/63978/south-africa-vs-australia-1st-test-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2001-02

i like the idea of severe penalties for slow overrates. its become a joke, I seem to recall a season or so ago we struggled to get to 12 overs per hour. keep in mind in the days of Fanie de Villiers, Allan Donald, Craig Matthews, Brian McMillan etc we didnt get penalised as much as we do more recently, and those days we didnt even have a spinner!

loads of faffing.

fining the captain doesn't seem to do much.

I reckon you got 30 overs in a session.  Add 15 runs for every over not bowled, unpires can ensure batsmen don't waste time.

Paterson now has the 3rd highest score in this test by Saffer. (facepalm)

2 bowlers with the highest and 3rd highest scores in the test for the South African side.......

https://www.espncricinfo.com/scores/series/15393/australia-tour-of-south-africa

how good was this series? a certain MV Boucher being stand-in skipper, this must have been just before Biff was made captain because the England tour of 2003 was his first tour as skipper. I managed to attend the match at Headingley where Gary Kirsten and Monde Zondeki managed a 100 partnership to save our bacon in the first innings after we were 140/7 or something.

little did we all know at the time that Biff would go on and become our most successful captain ever.

im ignoring the fact that we just lost the match, by focusing on the times when we were so good Biff got the English captains to retire when we beat them stukkend.

4 of the best, ever!

the current series must be really rubbish if the discussion is dominated by reminiscences... ^_^

What happened to vd Dussen. It's like he crawled into a shell. HIs commanding, calm presence during the world cup seems to have vaporised. 

But not only him: the team looks lost.

Edited by Capricorn

how good was this series? a certain MV Boucher being stand-in skipper, this must have been just before Biff was made captain because the England tour of 2003 was his first tour as skipper. I managed to attend the match at Headingley where Gary Kirsten and Monde Zondeki managed a 100 partnership to save our bacon in the first innings after we were 140/7 or something.

little did we all know at the time that Biff would go on and become our most successful captain ever.

im ignoring the fact that we just lost the match, by focusing on the times when we were so good Biff got the English captains to retire when we beat them stukkend.

Perhaps the roles are being reversed. If we lose the last test as well I'm pretty sure Faf will step down. And if he doesn't the decision might be made for him!

yes...

the current series must be really rubbish if the discussion is dominated by reminiscences... ^_^

What happened to vd Dussen. It's like he crawled into a shell. HIs commanding, calm presence during the world cup seems to have vaporised. 

The disappintment was more in the expectation of a contest. We went to Aus hoping for a decent series and got mown 3-0. this was in the days after hansiegate, where Pollock was thrusted into the captaincy about 3/5 years before he expected it. That did not end well the next season.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/series/index.html?season=2001%2F02;view=season

When we came back for the return series it wa s no different, (although we did convincingly win the dead rubber), but without donald, klusener, hayward and pollock we did not have the bowling backup - and this amazing (but ageing) attack always had scoreboard pressure to turn screws.

Tipped just three months ago as the side most likely to unseat world Test champions Australia, South Africa crashed to the second biggest defeat of all time, losing the first Castle Lager/MTN Test match at the Wanderers by an innings and 360 runs to Steve Waugh's team on Sunday.

Well we're comparing, as this is another time we've looked so clueless at home.

We were not far off from rescuing the newlands test, imagine if we went into wanderers with all three series results likely?

missing KG is huge, wonder if this can galvanise the rest?

a big what if - 

duanne olivier and kyle abbott are currently parking off, as county cricket is not on the go. could do with either of them playing here

check the bowling figures for last season, full of japie kolpaks

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=12758;type=tournament