MTB Tyre Choices

patches

8 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

How old are the contis?

This is a difficult question. The chronological age of the rear tire is about 2 maybe 3 years, and the front, circa world war 2. . But their “Vitality Age” I think is a lot younger on account of me doing only short naff kinda rides avoiding mad rocky stuff and all. And the bike often hanging nicely in the garage while I do extended couch potato workouts. Though they have seen quite a bit of tar, which is prob not optimal. I know this answer is as clear as mud. I will take pics tonight.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Race Kings will never inspire confidence, low rolling resistance is their only purpose.

For your use, I'd look at the new Spez Ground Control front and rear.

This sounds nice, I will investigate them, 🙏 

33 minutes ago, Harryn said:

This is a difficult question. The chronological age of the rear tire is about 2 maybe 3 years, and the front, circa world war 2. . But their “Vitality Age” I think is a lot younger on account of me doing only short naff kinda rides avoiding mad rocky stuff and all. And the bike often hanging nicely in the garage while I do extended couch potato workouts. Though they have seen quite a bit of tar, which is prob not optimal. I know this answer is as clear as mud. I will take pics tonight.

Those tyres are dying of old age. Bin them and get a new set. Once you have worn the protective mould release from the tyre the rubber will harden over time. I have been experimenting with one some of my worn tyres. I leave them hanging in the garage and check the aging. After 18 months the rubber is harder and has a plastic feel to it. After 2-3 years the rubber is cracking up. 
mince you use tyres you need to use them  up within 18months to get the best performance from them. 
hence I never buy tyres on blow out specials because they’re usually old stock and won’t give me best life or performance 

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Those tyres are dying of old age. Bin them and get a new set. Once you have worn the protective mould release from the tyre the rubber will harden over time. I have been experimenting with one some of my worn tyres. I leave them hanging in the garage and check the aging. After 18 months the rubber is harder and has a plastic feel to it. After 2-3 years the rubber is cracking up. 
mince you use tyres you need to use them  up within 18months to get the best performance from them. 
hence I never buy tyres on blow out specials because they’re usually old stock and won’t give me best life or performance 

Is there any standard ref. one can check on bicycle tyres that show the manufactured date, the same way one can check on car tyres?

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I always buy tyres for cheap on special. I store it for years, but its sealed off from air in a plastic bag. Works fine for me.

Just now, Mtbiker404 said:

I always buy tyres for cheap on special. I store it for years, but its sealed off from air in a plastic bag. Works fine for me.

That’s fine. Keep away from high temperature changes and UV light should be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Is there any standard ref. one can check on bicycle tyres that show the manufactured date, the same way one can check on car tyres?

There is usually a serial number printed inside the tyre and if you know the code it will indicate what year and month the tyre was manufactured. The manufacturers website will usually give you some info in their FAQ. Will check for examples

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

There is usually a serial number printed inside the tyre and if you know the code it will indicate what year and month the tyre was manufactured. The manufacturers website will usually give you some info in their FAQ. Will check for examples

Too obscure, would not take much for them to set a basic standard where it is printed on the sidewall the same as they do for the tyre carcass side.

The tyre industry could do a little better here.

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Too obscure, would not take much for them to set a basic standard where it is printed on the sidewall the same as they do for the tyre carcass side.

Well remember there was the serial number removal with sand paper than resulted in a special edition tyre for the SAmarket….

shananigans

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Well remember there was the serial number removal with sand paper than resulted in a special edition tyre for the SAmarket….

shananigans

oooo... I do not recall this?

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

oooo... I do not recall this?

Seriously?!?! Were  you out on your Harley when this fracas was unfolding????

Edited by DieselnDust

24 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Seriously?!?! Were  you out on your Harley when this fracas was unfolding????

to be honest, I have drastically reduced my online presence on Le BikeHub

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

That’s fine. Keep away from high temperature changes and UV light should be fine. 

Thanks.

I buy the "next set" when stock is available.  This stays on the shelf in the garage, away from sun light and nice ambient temperatures (proper thermal ceiling in the garage)

I started doing this purely due to eratic stock levels.

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

https://kendabicycle.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/5126823437331-When-were-my-Tires-produced-

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/service/faq/tyre-construction

some serial number examples.

Could not find Pirelli or maxxis conventions

• 2 weeks later...