MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Please give your opinions - Considering changing my rear tire

Up Front I run a REKON 2.35 - very happy with it

On the rear I normally run CROSSMARK II 2.25 - which developed a serious wobble, so I binned it and mounted an old ARDENT 2.25 I had laying around, which used to be my front tire.

With Trans Baviaans coming up i'm thinking of changing the rear

I'm looking at the ARDENT Race 2.35

Or should I stay with 2.25

What's the main difference by running the same size rear & front - I've always been lead to believe the rear should be a thinner tire than the front.

Or

Should i simply stick with CROSSMARK EXO II 2.25

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, madmarc said:

On the rear I normally run CROSSMARK II 2.25 - which developed a serious wobble, so I binned it and mounted an old ARDENT 2.25 I had laying around, which used to be my front tire.

What's the main difference by running the same size rear & front - I've always been lead to believe the rear should be a thinner tire than the front.

Or

No reason for the rear to be smaller than the front unless your frame has limited space. 

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

Or

I think the logic was that you don't need as much grip at the back as you do the front, so you can reduce the rolling resistance by running a smoother / narrower tyre without worrying about grip becoming a problem. 

If you check out (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com Proper nerd rabbit hole stuff) the "narrower is faster" idea is flawed. Rolling resistance has more to do with casing suppleness than it does narrowness. 

I'd throw my hat in the ring for the Rekon Race. I've had a really good time with mine. Roll really well and has more than enough grip for a back tyre (I'm running them front and back). According to BRR rolls quicker than the Ardent Race and Ikon, just slower than the Aspen.

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

Hey .... how about Chaoyang Tyres ... good enough for an Olympic medal and for a XCO race win ................... image.png.e4801fa15a54b4838ab8a1a80b70bedb.png

Chaoyang Tyres are Very Good Long Lasting Tyres.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Long time. 

I just purchased Maxxis WT tyres and I have Flow EX rims (25.5 internal).

I'm reading now they are designed for 35mm but are also fine for 30mm. I've Googled it and most people say it should be fine as the Flow EX rim is not exactly narrow.

I was so busy fussing over tyre choice and compound that I let this slip. The bike shop didn't mention it either. 

Anyone tried this?

12 hours ago, Brawler said:

Hey guys.

Long time. 

I'm reading now they are designed for 35mm but are also fine for 30mm. I've Googled it and most people say it should be fine as the Flow EX rim is not exactly narrow.

I was so busy fussing over tyre choice and compound that I let this slip. The bike shop didn't mention it either. 

Anyone tried this?

I'm running Maxxis Aspen 2.4 WT tyres on a Fulcrum rim with 25mm inner width.  No issues at all.

Edited by TheoG

16 hours ago, Brawler said:

Hey guys.

Long time. 

Anyone tried this?

Spec is min 25mm So you're in Spec (Low End)

Clearance should be 6mm Min. (This could be an Issue)

Edited by dasilvarsa

On 8/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, TyronLab said:

I think the logic was that you don't need as much grip at the back as you do the front, so you can reduce the rolling resistance by running a smoother / narrower tyre without worrying about grip becoming a problem. 

If you check out (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com Proper nerd rabbit hole stuff) the "narrower is faster" idea is flawed. Rolling resistance has more to do with casing suppleness than it does narrowness. 

I'd throw my hat in the ring for the Rekon Race. I've had a really good time with mine. Roll really well and has more than enough grip for a back tyre (I'm running them front and back). According to BRR rolls quicker than the Ardent Race and Ikon, just slower than the Aspen.

I went with your suggestion - Rekon Race was awesome both on the tar at SBR training rides and TB wet mud & rough stuff - Probably had the pressure a bit too high on TB but was very happy - thanx for your suggestion. 

No problem dude! I'm also still enjoying mine. Running the 2.35 width on a 25mm internal width rim and I dig the shape, not too rounded but also not squared off. Done 2,200km+ probably 60% tar and they seem to be wearing well too, have only had one puncture that needed plugging. will most likely get 4,000km or more from them before changing.

One thing I have noticed is that they're pretty quiet on tar which to my mind indicates good rolling efficiency (noise = energy after all). 

I'm running ~24psi front, ~27psi back and I find it a good balance. Can probably go a bit softer, but I like the surety of not rolling a tyre and denting rims.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, TyronLab said:

I run a smaller and faster rolling tyre at the back. My reason is lighter weight.

Does anyone run Maxxis Aspens 2.25 x 29. I have a set, brand new, still in packaging, not sure what they go for, around R800 for the pair, if anyone is interested.

I need help, but not bad enough to read all 94 pages. Or even 1.

I am running Conti race king / X King on my camber. Of late, I just don't have confidence in their grip, especially on the back. Like when i stand on a bit of a snandy or stony little incline, I get slippage. This has accounted for 2 consecutive falls one Mordor afternoon. I dunno if the nobblies are worn or if the tires just aren’t optimal, but I sure as heck dont get this with the butchers I am running on the levo xl. They are rock solid, and inspire confidence. But I assume they are heavy as lead, and not compatible with an “analogue” bike. So, do I change the conti’s or grin and bear it. And what do I swap them for? Also. I just hate punctures and sidewall tears, so i need something grippy that is  not too delicate. I need value for money. I want my cake and I wanna eat it. And I dont know anything about tires or mountain biking  really, so advice would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Harryn said:

I am running Conti race king / X King on my camber. Of late, I just don't have confidence in their grip, especially on the back. Like when i stand on a bit of a snandy or stony little incline, I get slippage. This has accounted for 2 consecutive falls one Mordor afternoon. I dunno if the nobblies are worn or if the tires just aren’t optimal, but I sure as heck dont get this with the butchers I am running on the levo xl. They are rock solid, and inspire confidence. But I assume they are heavy as lead, and not compatible with an “analogue” bike. So, do I change the conti’s or grin and bear it. And what do I swap them for? Also. I just hate punctures and sidewall tears, so i need something grippy that is  not too delicate. I need value for money. I want my cake and I wanna eat it. And I dont know anything about tires or mountain biking  really, so advice would be appreciated.

How old are the contis?

9 hours ago, Harryn said:

Race Kings will never inspire confidence, low rolling resistance is their only purpose.

For your use, I'd look at the new Spez Ground Control front and rear.