MTB Tyre Choices

patches

With slicks, or lower volume crossmarks, I reckon so, yeah.

As for the Schwalbe - you MUST get the Super Gravity versions. The sidewall strength is far and above what anyone else is offering. The Muddy Mary will work if you can't find a Magic Mary.

What about the Hans Dampf ?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see WTB has made the near perfect muddy mary clone, right down to block lay out and side wall appearance.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11730433/p4pb11730433.jpg

Get's a good review, and i wouldn't expect anything less given how well the MMs perform, not to mention 45a durometer aka tacky rubber on the WTB.

I would give that a spin for sure!

Just a WARNING about WTB tyres - they are IMPOSSIBLE to get on the rim without at least 2 sets of hands.

I gave up with mine and took them to my LBS, which also struggled like hell to get them back on the rim.

I am considering changing my tyres, as there's NO WAY i'd be able to fit a tube on my own on the trail.

Hi there... This is an email I got from Schwalbe Marketing:

" The difference is a tubeless tire is a UST tire and a TL-Ready tire is aclincher tire with our redesigned bead. Our TL-Ready tire has a supplerrubber on the bead so it will seal and lock into place better. A UST tirehas an extra layer of butyl rubber to make it airtight. A TL-Ready tirerequires sealant to fully seal the tire. Any tire can be run tubeless,but not all tires are designed to be. The main reason people are ridingnon-UST tires tubeless is because it saves weight. With Schwalbe tiresonly use the TL-Ready tires tubeless. "

" TL-Ready tires are not a robust asUST tires, because UST tires have an additional layer of butyl rubber. Interms of knob wear they wear the same. The only added benefit toUST is it is slightly more puncture resistant than a TL-Ready tire. Thatis due to the added layer of rubber inside the tire."

"Our UST tires use the same carcass as the TL-Ready tires. Butsince they have more rubber, they are stronger and heavier. Side wallwill be stronger on a UST."

" Use sealant with all tubeless tires......

Also if you ride mailly on the road(sic) use tubes... you dont want to f*%k up a rim when you have a blowout!

Personally I have always used UST tyres... never had a puncture in a race (about 30) or training for 2 years... but then I look where I am going smile.gif

Hope this helps

Does anyone have experiance with TL-Easy /Snakeskin Schwable tyres on UST Rims?

When inspecting my UST brick Im running on the rear, i noticed the bead having a square/flat interface with the rim that once engaged is probably almost impossibel to burp.

My Rocket Ron on the front came off the rim completely about 3 weeks ago when going down a steep singletrack. Im now thinking of trading my Heavy UST rear tyre for a Snakeskin Racing Ralph. But the 250gram difference might not be worth the risk?

This is in preperation for the Tankwa Trek in a months time..

Is running a TLReady Racing ralph at the back silly? (I only weigh 70KG with kit)

Does anyone have experiance with TL-Easy /Snakeskin Schwable tyres on UST Rims?

When inspecting my UST brick Im running on the rear, i noticed the bead having a square/flat interface with the rim that once engaged is probably almost impossibel to burp.

My Rocket Ron on the front came off the rim completely about 3 weeks ago when going down a steep singletrack. Im now thinking of trading my Heavy UST rear tyre for a Snakeskin Racing Ralph. But the 250gram difference might not be worth the risk?

This is in preperation for the Tankwa Trek in a months time..

Is running a TLReady Racing ralph at the back silly? (I only weigh 70KG with kit)

Nope, as long as you go with the SnakeSkin version. TLR is Schwalbe's fully UST compliant tubeless option, they just can't call it UST as they don't pay the licensing fee to Mavic / Maxxis / whoever it is that holds the rights for "UST"

Another option to consider is the Rock Razor. Small centre tread, but the side knobs are the same as the Magic Mary's. Fast rolling, fully UST compliant, and if you go for the Super Gravity casing, you'll have SUPER strong sidewalls as well (like, the strongest on the market)

Nope, as long as you go with the SnakeSkin version. TLR is Schwalbe's fully UST compliant tubeless option, they just can't call it UST as they don't pay the licensing fee to Mavic / Maxxis / whoever it is that holds the rights for "UST"

Another option to consider is the Rock Razor. Small centre tread, but the side knobs are the same as the Magic Mary's. Fast rolling, fully UST compliant, and if you go for the Super Gravity casing, you'll have SUPER strong sidewalls as well (like, the strongest on the market)

Huge thanks for THIS: In a nutshell. The Snakeskin version is their lightweight Tubliss convertable option with strong kevlar reinforced sides.. Tubliss ready is kind of the tubliss convertable tyre for the masses that dont want the often overkill of the full on UST system which in essence could be used without sealent. So They are heavier.

Most Importantly Schwable claim the tyre bead and rim hook will work.

I think I got a bit spooked when I saw how big the difference was between the Mavic UST tyre I have on the rear and the Rocket Ron evo pacestar(which is a good example of a tubliss ready tyre) I have on the front when I tried to take them off.

There is a very distinct difference in the bead of many TLReady tyres and UST tyre. Yes they will work on both but as the picture below illustrates, the UST locks in place, where the TLR is more held in place by tyre pressure.

I use to think it was mostly Sidewall integrity

compare the bead of the tyres in the sectional diagram below.

post-1279-0-46598400-1421316089_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-78124000-1421317412_thumb.jpg

Huge thanks for THIS: In a nutshell. The Snakeskin version is their lightweight Tubliss convertable option with strong kevlar reinforced sides.. Tubliss ready is kind of the tubliss convertable tyre for the masses that dont want the often overkill of the full on UST system which in essence could be used without sealent. So They are heavier.

Most Importantly Schwable claim the tyre bead and rim hook will work.

I think I got a bit spooked when I saw how big the difference was between the Mavic UST tyre I have on the rear and the Rocket Ron evo pacestar(which is a good example of a tubliss ready tyre) I have on the front when I tried to take them off.

There is a very distinct difference in the bead of many TLReady tyres and UST tyre. Yes they will work on both but as the picture below illustrates, the UST locks in place, where the TLR is more held in place by tyre pressure.

I use to think it was mostly Sidewall integrity

compare the bead of the tyres in the sectional diagram below.

Schwobbly TLR can be used without sealant, without a problem. I've done it before...

Also - in order to use the "UST" denotion, the manufacturer needs to send the tyre off to whoever holds the patent / license / whatever and get them to certify it, which carries a cost. Once that's done, then they can use the UST badge on the tire.

But that's not to mean that tires that don't have that little badge, aren't fully tubeless compliant. They're just not going the route of sending tyres to their competitors to get the licensing approval.

Snakeskin just refers to the sidewall protection - not the ability to convert to tubeless (though the thicker sidewalls would help in terms of rigidity, and therefore the ability to hold air when converted to tubeless.

Likewise, Super Gravity is also a sidewall strength denotion, as it denotes an extra layer in the sidewall, increasing rigidity and puncture protection.

So - TLR IS Tubeless Ready, as in it is fully able to go tubeless at the drop of a hat. As long as your rim can handle it, that is.

I have used the Snakeskin Tyres from Schwalbe a couple of times now and they are brilliant. they are light enough to not weigh you down and they have great grip.

I like the SS trailstar Hans Dampf 2.35 front and the SS Pace Star Hans Dampf 2.35 rear

I also like the Nobby Nic on the rear of my Anthem in SS Pacestar 2.25 trim.

All good tyres and I have only ever had crappy burping issues with Bontrager Tyres which are crap and don't grip well either. they fold for nothing if not run harder pressures.

Schwobbly TLR can be used without sealant, without a problem. I've done it before...

Also - in order to use the "UST" denotion, the manufacturer needs to send the tyre off to whoever holds the patent / license / whatever and get them to certify it, which carries a cost. Once that's done, then they can use the UST badge on the tire.

But that's not to mean that tires that don't have that little badge, aren't fully tubeless compliant. They're just not going the route of sending tyres to their competitors to get the licensing approval.

Snakeskin just refers to the sidewall protection - not the ability to convert to tubeless (though the thicker sidewalls would help in terms of rigidity, and therefore the ability to hold air when converted to tubeless.

Likewise, Super Gravity is also a sidewall strength denotion, as it denotes an extra layer in the sidewall, increasing rigidity and puncture protection.

So - TLR IS Tubeless Ready, as in it is fully able to go tubeless at the drop of a hat. As long as your rim can handle it, that is.

Wow ok. Ya the part about them having to send the products to the competitor to get the stamp of aproval is a good point. Although I saw some "UST" badge and all Schwables when I googled it.

So I now just dont know why the heck my front tyre sits so loose If its suppose to have the whole UST beading and all..

Anyway. So I might then get the Snakeskin Racing ralph. for the back. The Rocket Ron is great but Im a bit unsure of the puncture protection, purely because they have shuch widely spaced knobs. Its been 100% for the front so far. Just need to keep the pressure up.

• 1 month later...

With regard to WTB wolverine tyres. I also struggled like hell and eventually took it to my LBS for fitment. It was a two man job for them too. I am using DT swiss x430 rims. I wonder if this would have been easier on another wheelset.

That being said it is a fabulous tyre. amazing grip and once on no hassles with sealing and punctures. Very strong sidewall too.

With regard to WTB wolverine tyres. I also struggled like hell and eventually took it to my LBS for fitment. It was a two man job for them too. I am using DT swiss x430 rims. I wonder if this would have been easier on another wheelset.

That being said it is a fabulous tyre. amazing grip and once on no hassles with sealing and punctures. Very strong sidewall too.

Put on a wolverine on my front replacing a maxxis crossmark. It is tight on my ZTR flow rim. The thing is it seems to puncture very easily even with small thorns. have been sprayed with sealant a few times. 

Hope never to get a irrepairable puncture and try to put on a tube. Screwed. Wont be using a wolverine again

Put on a wolverine on my front replacing a maxxis crossmark. It is tight on my ZTR flow rim. The thing is it seems to puncture very easily even with small thorns. have been sprayed with sealant a few times. 

Hope never to get a irrepairable puncture and try to put on a tube. Screwed. Wont be using a wolverine again

Concerning wolverines, see that you have WTB rims-fits easily, and are bulletproof.  Best tyre I have used thus far,and I do ride some very harsh terrain regularly.I have been through all the brands out there and by far the best concerning sidewall damage and grip. They are heavy, but I will compromise weight over reliability. As for spraying sealant-have a look at type of sealant you are using. I found that some sealants are very watery/diluted. 

bump

The new TL-easy works very well. Can almost mount it by hand. fitted it to a mavic crossmax XL and it pumped up using my normal floor pump. I actually forgot to reach for the high volume pump i normally use to seat tubeless tyres, but the normal one worked just fine. TL_easy = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

No. It's called TLR or Tubeless ready because it doesn't conform to the full UST specification. TLR, no matter which manufacturer, means only the bead of the tyre complies with the UST standard. The sidewalls and topcaps do not, necessitating the use of sealant. With UST, sealant is not required by definition.

Yip, I have had a "pearl necklace" or two myself...NOT A LOOK

The new TL-easy works very well. Can almost mount it by hand. fitted it to a mavic crossmax XL and it pumped up using my normal floor pump. I actually forgot to reach for the high volume pump i normally use to seat tubeless tyres, but the normal one worked just fine. TL_easy = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

No. It's called TLR or Tubeless ready because it doesn't conform to the full UST specification. TLR, no matter which manufacturer, means only the bead of the tyre complies with the UST standard. The sidewalls and topcaps do not, necessitating the use of sealant. With UST, sealant is not required by definition.

Shot dude... :)