MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Anyone running a maxxis ardent up front and crossmark rear?

I have been running that combo for a couple of years now, no issues. We do not have a lot of loose gravel in Bloem so cannot comment on that. We have some rocky terrain.

It is a heavy combo but in my experience bulletproof when it comes to punctures etc.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i recently put a Saguaro on the rear to replace the NNic and it rolls so much faster.

im super keen to try Vittoria's new MEZCAL g+  but dont think its available here yet

• 2 weeks later...

New rubber arrived from bike-components.de.  Just on feel, these tyres have crazy strong sidewalls and puncture protection layer under the tread. In comparison to most other tyres, they also have a very short/low sidewall, i.e. they aren't very tall tyres. 

Will give feedback soon.

post-62668-0-08900900-1447419176_thumb.jpg

New rubber arrived from bike-components.de.  Just on feel, these tyres have crazy strong sidewalls and puncture protection layer under the tread. In comparison to most other tyres, they also have a very short/low sidewall, i.e. they aren't very tall tyres. 

Will give feedback soon.

Nice,must of set you back a bit with exchange rate.

Nice,must of set you back a bit with exchange rate.

Nope. I'm in Europe (Belgium), so it came from just across the "border". 

Edited by Odinson

Hi everyone,

Iv ordered a set of Stans Flow-ex rims through Torq-zone and having them build my new wheels soon, now the question is, I currently have crossmarks front and back on my Merida One-twenty 7.600, however the tires look a little skinny for the bike, I do like the crossmarks however I'd like some suggestions on which tires could possibly work well the new rims and help make the bike look a little beefier.. I like the travel and visit trails all across the country so a tire that would fair okay in most conditions would be ideal, has to be proven to work well with tubeless setups and budget isn't really a concern.

I'm considering Nobbly Nics but not sure if they will help with the beefier look as iv never seen them on a bike in person.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated :)

LBS advised me against fitting Conti mountain king and x king, reason given is they leak out the side wall. anyone have this experience?

LBS advised me against fitting Conti mountain king and x king, reason given is they leak out the side wall. anyone have this experience?

Depends on which version they're selling... 

Put my old front RoRo on the rear. Much better than as a front tyre, and gets good bite in this dusty fine soil and loose over hard pack we've got at the moment. Although its going to wear out before baby jeebus' bday.

So partially take back my negative schwalbe comments.

I have non-protection mountain king as front - not one issue yet!

• 2 weeks later...

If you ride fast and want to fall - ride a front Crossmark. Even on my full suss tandem, which barely leans when cornering tightly, the Crossmark likes to let go. I recently tried WTB Weirwolf on my Anthem 29'r front. Awesome! Tracks through thick sand and rock. Grips like hell. Slightly heavy tho'. 

Put a WTB Bronson on my tandem front today. Rode at Hobby Park after rain. What a tyre! It was like I was on rails, even through mud.

Hi everyone,

Iv ordered a set of Stans Flow-ex rims through Torq-zone and having them build my new wheels soon, now the question is, I currently have crossmarks front and back on my Merida One-twenty 7.600, however the tires look a little skinny for the bike, I do like the crossmarks however I'd like some suggestions on which tires could possibly work well the new rims and help make the bike look a little beefier.. I like the travel and visit trails all across the country so a tire that would fair okay in most conditions would be ideal, has to be proven to work well with tubeless setups and budget isn't really a concern.

I'm considering Nobbly Nics but not sure if they will help with the beefier look as iv never seen them on a bike in person.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Crossmark's have no place on the front of a MTB. 

There is a hell of a lot of rubber to choose from, but if you're leaning towards the Nobby Nic, give them a try. The new model (stay away from the previous gen) seems to be the bee's knees. 

FYI:

New NN:

http://www.schwalbe.com/files/schwalbe/userupload/Images/Produkte/_2016/nobby_nic/_detail_nobby_nic_27_5.jpg

Old NN:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/15/thumbnail/eha8a6uz.jpg

Edited by Odinson