MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I'm still pretty stoked to just throw 2x of the Ardent's on special at CWC on my bike. I hate wide-narrow combos. Then the bike looks like a bloody penny-farthing :D

The look you get when you ask the oke at Tiger wheel and tyre about front rear combinations! 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still pretty stoked to just throw 2x of the Ardent's on special at CWC on my bike. I hate wide-narrow combos. Then the bike looks like a bloody penny-farthing :D

If I was sure that the 2.35 Ardent Race would fit on the rear with minimal frame scrub then I would get one but I plan to go 25mm internal rim width so it would be a waste :/ 

I would definitely choose the Ardent race or Ardent as a front rear combo over a crossmark or Ikon one! But hey, each to their own :)

Edited by Mr lee

Been adding to my collection for a week or so and trying loads of stuff from Maxxis. Fast xc sort of rides the Ardent Race 2.35 on the front and ikon 2.35 rear is GREAT. Then I swap out the rear for more hectic terrain. I'm riding a trail bike not really xc so like the bigger volume tyres for xc stuff too.

Aspen's 2.25 imminent - should be good for rear if not both front and rear ?

Be prepared to wash out unless you have the skill to back up the lack of grip. It's better than the cross mark, sure, but I'd seriously consider something else for front duty. Forekaster or aggressor would be my choice if I wanted to keep weight down.

Which, as it happens, I don't. ????

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• 4 weeks later...

What would be a good upgrade to Bontrager XR2? Currently running 2.2 front and 2.1. rear. I would prefer something a little wider as I do mostly trails.

This is for future reference as right now these tires aren't bad at all. Don't have any issue with grip and I'm actually quite surprised at how well they handle rough trails.

• 3 weeks later...

Running Ikons 2.2 both front and rear on my Scale 940.

Had a mini crash (front wheel slipped out on the dry trail) past Wednesday and I suspect the front tyre is too hard. 

I am running 1.8 bar front and 2.0 bar rear. I like to corner quite hard and have experienced my front wheel sliding especially at the bits where there are small rocks lying in the berm/turn.

I don't want to go too low and risk in burping my front tyre. I weigh 60kg.

What pressure would you guys recommend? 

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Thanks, @RiverInTheRoad. Will give it a go.

I habe the same prob. And i have a ground control on the front. And a cross marck on the rear i run at 2 back and 1.8 front. I also slide out but have noticed its the front. What i did also notice lately is tjat if i put a nit more weight to the front i slide out less. I think we are to light

Had a mini crash (front wheel slipped out on the dry trail) past Wednesday and I suspect the front tyre is too hard.

I am running 1.8 bar front and 2.0 bar rear. I like to corner quite hard and have experienced my front wheel sliding especially at the bits where there are small rocks lying in the berm/turn.

Hi Andrew, sounds like you might be a little over inflated, I run about the same tyre presures and I weight about 95kg, not on Icons thought.

I know of lighter riders who even run their pressure as low as 1.2bar. I would suggest you start experimenting with dropping your pressure by 0.2bar at time to see if it improves your grip.

You can also try wider on the front, something like the Maxxis Icon 2.35 wich will keep rolling resistance low or go to a grippier tread like the Maxxis Ardent, the Vittoria Barzo (personal favourite), or Schwalbe Rocket Ron.

But first experiment with pressures before throwing money at the problem.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

I am running 1.8 bar front and 2.0 bar rear. I like to corner quite hard and have experienced my front wheel sliding especially at the bits where there are small rocks lying in the berm/turn.

2.2 IKON's are pretty narrow, but drop to 1.6 anyway. When you have cash, buy an Aggressor and keep the ikon for the back. The end.

Hi Andrew, sounds like you might be a little over inflated, I run about the same tyre presures and I weight about 95kg, not on Icons thought.

I know of lighter riders who even run their pressure as low as 1.2bar. I would suggest you start experimenting with dropping your pressure by 0.2bar at time to see if it improves your grip.

You can also try wider on the front, something like the Maxxis Icon 2.35 wich will keep rolling resistance low or go to a grippier tread like the Maxxis Ardent, the Vittoria Barzo (personal favourite), or Schwalbe Rocket Ron.

But first experiment with pressures before throwing money at the problem.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

2.2 IKON's are pretty narrow, but drop to 1.6 anyway. When you have cash, buy an Aggressor and keep the ikon for the back. The end.

Myles, I know the Ikon is a problem up front. That tyre doesn't have that much grip.

I'll try the lowered pressure up front and rear later the week if I get time. I also experienced a lot of hopping around when riding (probably because of tyres being too hard) compared to my friend who did not hop around and was more smoothly on the bike.

I wanted to swap out my Ikon with an Ardent Race 2.35, sadly it does not fit on my Scale according to my friend who I wanted to trade with.

I was pretty sad afterwards.  :thumbdown:

Myles, I know the Ikon is a problem up front. That tyre doesn't have that much grip.

I'll try the lowered pressure up front and rear later the week if I get time. I also experienced a lot of hopping around when riding (probably because of tyres being too hard) compared to my friend who did not hop around and was more smoothly on the bike.

I wanted to swap out my Ikon with an Ardent Race 2.35, sadly it does not fit on my Scale according to my friend who I wanted to trade with.

I was pretty sad afterwards. :thumbdown:

What fork do you have? The ardent 2.35 isn't that wide. Your friend is likely talking crap. He probably just didn't want to trade for the ikon. Edited by Myles Mayhew