MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Thanks guys, going to try race king UST 2.0 front and 2.2 rear....will see how it goes and try it out myself!!

That combo is far more appropriate on a 29er due to the extra contact area on the ground. There's a reason why every Niner pic on their website either has WTB or Race Kings on...clap.gif

The RK may prove to be a bit too loose for the front.

Please let us knowthumbup1.gif

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running 2 2.2 race kings... Not bad at all, but I want to try Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL Ready... Anyone using these?

I am running 2 2.2 race kings... Not bad at all, but I want to try Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL Ready... Anyone using these?

Awesome front tire.

Awesome front tire.

Front Tyre?

I only ever consider Racing Ralph as a rear tyre... looking at the tread... I find it difficult to believe that it can grip on serious turns... However experience outshines opinions...

Also I still am a bit ify to use tubeless ready tyres... please could someone who is using them give me an idea of the terrain you using them on and what kind of riding you do??

Front Tyre?

I only ever consider Racing Ralph as a rear tyre... looking at the tread... I find it difficult to believe that it can grip on serious turns... However experience outshines opinions...

Also I still am a bit ify to use tubeless ready tyres... please could someone who is using them give me an idea of the terrain you using them on and what kind of riding you do??

Sorry dude! I meant back tire. Rocket Ron is awesome for the front. My Bad!

Sorry dude! I meant back tire. Rocket Ron is awesome for the front. My Bad!

and you use a tubeless-ready tyre?

This tread was really helpfull! I Ran Rocket Ron's front and rear in 2010 , Crossmarks front and rear in 2011 and after reading these posts my 2012 combo im keen to try is either the The race King/Mountain King combo or the Weirwolf up front and Wolverine 2.2 on the back. thanks guys ( helped me although i didnt start the post :P )

Race King Protection 2.2 rear 570g

Mountain King II Protection 2.2 front 590g

lightest, toughest tires I have ever ridden

Race King Protection 2.2 rear 570g

Mountain King II Protection 2.2 front 590g

lightest, toughest tires I have ever ridden

Hmmm...now I'm wondering, I thought the Race king was for front....and not go UST?? Those are nice and light in that combination!

Are the Race King Protection TLready?

They are 550g in wieght and have a 4 ply sidewall... They 2.2....hmmm... sounds like an option over full UST ones.

Don't run the Race King up front! It'll be more slippery than a nigerian 419 scammer in the corners & rough stuff!

And if you do different sizes, make sure the wider one goes at the front. More contact area = more grip. There's a reason that BMX racers used to run skinny ass tyres at the back and wider ones at the front.

The same cannot be said for motorbikes, however. Bigger rear tyres for them given the amount of grip the rear needs to have when the power goes down. Something us MTBers don't have to worry about..

Are the Race King Protection TLready?

They are 550g in wieght and have a 4 ply sidewall... They 2.2....hmmm... sounds like an option over full UST ones.

should be, i m riding x king protection no issues, good luck with the fitting though.................