MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I have a forekaster on the front - it’s an awesome tire, haven’t had a single issue as yet and have punished my tires ????

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

currently i have a set of ardent race 2.35's on which are great for their purpose of cane road and easy trails. i also have a DHRII in 2.4wt which i use up front when im going somewhere i know more grip is required but cant leave it on all time as rolling is a bit tough on flat stuff also its a pain having to swop tyres. So im looking at trying to get a better allround tyre for the front, was looking at either Forekaster in 2.35 or Rekon in 2.4wt ..anyone have any input on those 2 ...( only looking a Maxxis tyres )

The regular Ardent 2.4 will be a better all-rounder than those other two options.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Have a look at the CST Patrol 2.2. This is part of the Maxxis stable. The 2.2 is high volume front tyre(as fat as the spez ground control 2.3) with fast rolling tread and good mud clearance too. I have this on my back wheel for ride comfort. It has worn fairly fast but I do a fair bit of hilly tar road.

The regular Ardent 2.4 will be a better all-rounder than those other two options.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Second this. Not the the grippiest option out there, but an excellent all rounder on the front.

Second this. Not the the grippiest option out there, but an excellent all rounder on the front.

hhmmm but Ardent is old Tech without 3CMaxxTerra or WT option 

hhmmm but Ardent is old Tech without 3CMaxxTerra or WT option

The 2.4 sits nicely on a 29mm inner width rims, nice high volume, reasonably grippy, wears slow so can handle a mixture of terain rather than just dirt.

No, it's not in the same class as a high roller or minnion - but they suck as all rounders because they are very good at one thing.

The Ardent isn't gonna win any prizes in any one area of performance, but as an all rounder it's solid. My go to on the front of a marathon/xc bike where you want decent grip.

Good evening everyone

Im very new to mtb. I have the standard specialized tires on my rockhopper expert. I’m going over to tubeless now and have ordered the maxxis ikon 29” 2.2 for front and rear on recommendation of the guys i ride with that have a lot of experience. They also tide with these tires. The local bike store i buy from recommend a fast rolling rear tyre 2.2 and a grid 2.35 in front.

I ride mostly trails here in kzn and once a week tar. Did i make the correct decision? Want to maybe ride an enduro race or 2 this year.

YEah for KZN the 2.2 IKON is fine. The 2.35 will give more grip but the 2.2 is pretty grippy as far its peers goes. It will offer a suitable compromise between low rolling and trail grip.

YEah for KZN the 2.2 IKON is fine. The 2.35 will give more grip but the 2.2 is pretty grippy as far its peers goes. It will offer a suitable compromise between low rolling and trail grip.

2.2IKON is what i ride on the tar or cane gravel roads....not on trails  :eek:

you okes spend way too much time fretting over the size of your rubber and not learning how use it properly.

didn't the OP say he rides a bit of trail and lot of road?

you okes spend way too much time fretting over the size of your rubber and not learning how use it properly.

No, other way around. Read again.... 

2.2IKON is what i ride on the tar or cane gravel roads....not on trails  :eek:

Congrats on the 1000th post BTW

You assume alot about the ability of guys on here to use their rubber.

An Ikon has it's place on the front of a bike (read 36One, Tran Baviaans, marathon racing in the hands of a skilled rider), but can you honestly say given the choice of any tyre, that an Ikon is the ideal choice for the front of a trail bike? It's just not.

Although I use Minnions I don't preach they are for everyone - but there is a world of choices between an Ikon and a Minnion.

You assume alot about the ability of guys on here to use their rubber.

An Ikon has it's place on the front of a bike (read 36One, Tran Baviaans, marathon racing in the hands of a skilled rider), but can you honestly say given the choice of any tyre, that an Ikon is the ideal choice for the front of a trail bike? It's just not.

Although I use Minnions I don't preach they are for everyone - but there is a world of choices between an Ikon and a Minnion.

Exactly. 

I mean, I know my go-to recommendation is a Mary, Mary or Mary (to continue the joke) but I can and do make different recommendations for different circumstances. To recommend an Asseguy DD to someone only doing gravel grinding or XCO would be foolish. Just like recommending an Ikon to your average trail rider. It's just NOT a good tyre for the vast majority of riders. Not nearly as much grip as a proper tyre: weak sidewalls, low volume etc etc. 

Garden variety "trail" riding - Mary snakeskin / DHF exo / Eliminator Grid front, DHR exo / Slaughter GRID / Rock Raxor Snakeskin etc. All the grips, decent weight and lots of volume for better grip characteristics. Better rolling characteristics for the back. 

EDIT: I'll add the 2.5 Aggressor to this list as well. Looks like a really nice tyre, and much better looking than the 2.3.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Good evening everyone

Im very new to mtb. I have the standard specialized tires on my rockhopper expert. I’m going over to tubeless now and have ordered the maxxis ikon 29” 2.2 for front and rear on recommendation of the guys i ride with that have a lot of experience. They also tide with these tires. The local bike store i buy from recommend a fast rolling rear tyre 2.2 and a grid 2.35 in front.

I ride mostly trails here in kzn and once a week tar. Did i make the correct decision? Want to maybe ride an enduro race or 2 this year.

Ok sorry tar once a week and mosty trail n KZN.

Bike = Specialized rock hopper.

rider = relatively new to MTB.

LBS recommended the IKON 2.35 front, 2.2 rear.

Yes I'd concur with the LBS. They probably know the trails in the area where he rides better than BikeHub.

Secondly the OP is new to MTB so having rubber that's not as sensitive to tyre pressure, is still grippy whist relatively easy rolling would be the way to go. The rider and bike are probably riding the short to medium routes, still building fitness and confidence. The IKON is perfect for this type of rider.

Yet somehow the word "trail" links to "aggressor, "Magic Mary" etc.

You know the Green Belt in Constantia is also a trail and people who ride it are trail riders right? Triail does not equal gap jumps and fast loose berms etc etc.

Ok sorry tar once a week and mosty trail n KZN.

Bike = Specialized rock hopper.

rider = relatively new to MTB.

LBS recommended the IKON 2.35 front, 2.2 rear.

Yes I'd concur with the LBS. They probably know the trails in the area where he rides better than BikeHub.

Secondly the OP is new to MTB so having rubber that's not as sensitive to tyre pressure, is still grippy whist relatively easy rolling would be the way to go. The rider and bike are probably riding the short to medium routes, still building fitness and confidence. The IKON is perfect for this type of rider.

Yet somehow the word "trail" links to "aggressor, "Magic Mary" etc.

You know the Green Belt in Constantia is also a trail and people who ride it are trail riders right? Triail does not equal gap jumps and fast loose berms etc etc.

Good evening

Im also a newbie to MTB and also from KZN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk