MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I tried this experiment last year using a Duro tyres Cypher also know as Definitive Bikes Dominator.

At 760gr for a 2.1 with pimples for thread it rolls fast but its essentially a fast rolling trail tyre in a narrow width to keep the rolling resistance in check.

Swapped both between the Vittoria BArzo Mazcal combo because they're around the same weight.

The Vittoria still rolled faster and felt lighter due to the construction being a lighter casing. The weight was in the extra rubber on the top for puncture protection but the sidewalls are noticeably more supple. This played directly to the rolling resistance.

I still use the Cyphers. They are great budget tyres and for training they wear well but they're not race tyres.

The point is that paring down the tread blocks only delivers a very small incremental benefit. The biggest benefit to RR comes from the casing

Where do you find Duro tyres locally .... "asking for a friend"

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing quite like a good tyre debate!

I get the point the Captain is making about DD casing, I've punched a hole straight through an Icon EXO tyre without too much effort really. So casing is a clear consideration from my perspective too as nothing quite kills a ride like a hole just above the tyre beading! Certainly do like the fast rolling of the Icon, but as above maybe the "Slaughter / Minion SS/ Rock Razor / e13 jobby" is the better consideration with heavier casing (from my perspective at least). Have ridden the Minion SS before which I found great but the tyre did develop bubbles in the tread over time which seems to be a known issue.

Interestingly, it seems most suggestions center on Maxxis and Spaz combos (aside from D&D's suggestion above). Is this genuinely because Maxxis and Spaz make the best tread patterns/options? Or is it more because they're some of the best options we have available in SA that go the distance and stand up to abuse (given tyres don't come cheap)?

Another question, given the suggestion of the Vittoria tyre combo, anyone ridden the Aggaro? And what's the indication for the Maxxis Dissector coming to SA?

Maxxis are popular because there (was) two distributors that competed so pricing was always great and the tyres are pretty good. Maxxis makes tyres for high performance motorsports as well as bicycles so they technology they bring to the market is always relevant and offers great value. The range of MTB tyres is pretty extensive (but the road bike tyres aren't very popular.

Schwalbe, Vittoria, Continental are also popular with Pirelli and Goodyear making a great entry and Michelin a comeback but availability of the tyres the market is looking for isn't as reliable as Maxxis has been. Pirelli is making inroads 

(but the road bike tyres aren't very popular.

I have Maxxis tyres on my roadie interestingly. They can't be any worse for punctures than the Mavics I had on there before.

I read that Nino Shurter runs Maxxis Aspen. Surprising that no one has been shouting about those from the rooftops.

I have Maxxis tyres on my roadie interestingly. They can't be any worse for punctures than the Mavics I had on there before.

I read that Nino Shurter runs Maxxis Aspen. Surprising that no one has been shouting about those from the rooftops.

Lol. One thing that Nino has that none of us even come close to, is skill. And that really helps when grip is low.

Lol. One thing that Nino has that none of us even come close to, is skill. And that really helps when grip is low.

That makes no sense. The fast guys run the best gear at their disposal so they can go faster. The guy isn't going to run a shitty tire because he's fast.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Aspen is a great tyre. Rolls really fast and has great grip in the right conditions. I don't run it because we have a lot of loose marbles and heavy dust on top of our hardpack in Cape Town. So the Aspen slides around a bit too much for my liking. In Switzerland, well Europe largely, the hardpack doesn't have that problem so very short tread blocks work very well. 

In Cape Town you better be prepared for the slide so unless you can MTB like Hannu Mikola drives a rally car you're better off with a bit more security of bite with a deeper tread. The reckon Race provides that compromise.

As far as climbing goes the Aspen still grips as well as a Reckon race or an Ikon even because of the soft rubber and when climbing the weight is on the back wheel. Descending you have to throw the bike from tyre edge to tyre edge to get the side knobs working. So it can work very well if you understand what you need to do to keeping it working.

That's my reasoned opinion on it anyway.

I prefer a more predictable and smooth transitioning tyre for marathon because when you're blown and tired and heat exhausted you don't want to be thinking about the tyres. Cold Shower/Cold Coke/Cold Beer are top of mind not "maybe I should have opted for Ikon's" :)

That makes no sense. The fast guys run the best gear at their disposal so they can go faster. The guy isn't going to run a shitty tire because he's fast.

*Lightest.

He prioritises weight reduction and rolling resistance over grip, and has the skills to be able to make up for that lack of grip. If I ride aspens front and back I'd probably be like a pig on an ice rink.

What DiD says about the hardback is also true. Can get away with less grip when it's super hard packed without a sandy / gravelly / muddy covering.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Following this thread closely, as I gashed my rear wheel (cross mark 2) on Sunday and trying to decide what to replace it with as a big dude with a lot of hills to ride over the next few months.

Rode Sani last year with an Aspen 2.25 front and Rekon Race 2.25 on the back, I was under the impression the Aspen actually had more edge grip than the Rekon Race so put it in front. For me it's splitting hairs between an Ikon/Aspen/Rekon Race, they all have limited treads and on loose over hard they are all all over the place if you're going fast, but they performed well at Sani for me.

Rode Sani last year with an Aspen 2.25 front and Rekon Race 2.25 on the back, I was under the impression the Aspen actually had more edge grip than the Rekon Race so put it in front. For me it's splitting hairs between an Ikon/Aspen/Rekon Race, they all have limited treads and on loose over hard they are all all over the place if you're going fast, but they performed well at Sani for me.

My dropper made a bigger difference on the singletrack sections than anything else ...

I'm currently riding a Crossmark 2,25 rear and Ardent (not Ardent Race) 2,25 up front.

Anybody have actual experience with the Vittoria Mezcal Cape Cobra and know how that tyre in a 2,35 will compare to my Ardent in respect of:

Grip (Very important to me)

Rolling Resistance

Puncture Resistance (Very important to me)

Cheers