MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Yeah. That would suit, but for me it's a no no as the IKON doesn't come with a suitable casing. Just Exo / Exo Plus, which in my opinion shouldn't be on the rear of MY bike. I'm just too **** at choosing lines and klapping things in the trail, and don't "float" over the trail.

If it came in a DH / DD casing, I'd be all over it.

Personally, an ideal fast rolling combo at the moment would be Slaughter (DH casing) and Eliminator / Asseguy (Grid / Exo Plus / DD)

It's a pet peeve of mine that the tyres I want to use at the back don't come with good casings and don't last, or are the softest compound on offer and also, don't last.

Myles.... down country bike dude. Exo is more than fine for essentially a fun marathon bike.

All 105kg of me spent this weekend doing 150km and 3000m of descending on a 2.1 Ikon on the back of a Camber and I smashed the back wheel hard a few times and I had no issues whatsoever.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. That would suit, but for me it's a no no as the IKON doesn't come with a suitable casing. Just Exo / Exo Plus, which in my opinion shouldn't be on the rear of MY bike. I'm just too **** at choosing lines and klapping things in the trail, and don't "float" over the trail.

If it came in a DH / DD casing, I'd be all over it.

Personally, an ideal fast rolling combo at the moment would be Slaughter (DH casing) and Eliminator / Asseguy (Grid / Exo Plus / DD)

It's a pet peeve of mine that the tyres I want to use at the back don't come with good casings and don't last, or are the softest compound on offer and also, don't last.

Assegai in a fast rolling combo? WTF? ????

Assegai in a fast rolling combo? WTF? ????

again, PERSONALLY.

Rolling resistance predominantly affects the back. I want grippy grip up front, and an assegai / elim in exo plus / grid works just fine for that. Not as heavy as the DD / DH casing and grips for days. Assegai is definitely slower than the eliminator tho, so I'd probably go to the elim. I'd also consider the Aggressor as a front tyre, but again it's not that much lighter than the assegai or elim. I wish the likes of the Ikon came came in a good, strong casing.

Plus. The question was for Downcountry. IE short travel but blasting the descents. I've found that changing the front tyre has significantly lower effect on the rolling resistance than the rear tyre does, but changing to a less grippy front has far more effect.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Myles.... down country bike dude. Exo is more than fine for essentially a fun marathon bike.

All 105kg of me spent this weekend doing 150km and 3000m of descending on a 2.1 Ikon on the back of a Camber and I smashed the back wheel hard a few times and I had no issues whatsoever.

Ya, Downcountry... Personally (which is what I said) I'd never put a tyre on the back that isn't DD/DH/SG casing. Unless I ran 30 plus psi at the back, which in itself is atrocious.

I just don't trust lighter casings on the back, man. And I don't want to run the pressures that you need to run to have some semblance of protection.

Edit: well done on the 24h man. Was moer warm this weekend!!!

In all seriousness. I'm Aparently doing Sani this year. Mind if I ask what is a good combo? Need something faaaaaaaaaaast. I need all the help I can get.

No I'm not running Assegai with dh casings.

I'm thinking Ardent Race F&R

Edited by Duane_Bosch

In all seriousness. I'm Aparently doing Sani this year. Mind if I ask what is a good combo? Need something faaaaaaaaaaast. I need all the help I can get.

slaughter / elim. I'd personally do the DH slaughter at the back, but that's me and my fear of tyre failure. You could be fine with the grid casing.

Ardent race / rekon or ardent race / aggressor tho tbh instead of the ardent race at the front.

Reason I like the slaughter is that it rolls damn fast but has that edge grip when you lean it.

So I must run an aggressor out front on a 3 day stage race? I run one of those on my rear. I don't think that's gonna work for me.

Or a slaughter out front? That's a semi slick.

So I must run an aggressor out front on a 3 day stage race? I run one of those on my rear. I don't think that's gonna work for me.

I'm just hesitant to suggest an ardent race out front. Rekon or forekaster instead, maybe? Slaughter out front? Neva

WTB Trail boss front and rear.

It's a pleasure

I'm thinking Ardent Race F&R

Ikon or Ardent Race out back, Ardent Race on the front. Ardent Race doesn't look like it has much bite, but it grips plenty when you lean it over. As long as you don't expect Minion level grip from it and ride it like it's intended to be ridden it is more than fine. 

Over a three day stage race I'd rather save the weight and have less rolling resistance. I did the Berg & Bush with the Ikon/Ardent Race combo (similar terrain to Sani I believe) on my Stumpy, and didn't feel like the tyres held me back at all.

Ya, Downcountry... Personally (which is what I said) I'd never put a tyre on the back that isn't DD/DH/SG casing. Unless I ran 30 plus psi at the back, which in itself is atrocious.

I just don't trust lighter casings on the back, man. And I don't want to run the pressures that you need to run to have some semblance of protection.

Edit: well done on the 24h man. Was moer warm this weekend!!!

I get where you're coming from - and I sorta agree when we're talking trail bikes and Table Mountain - but quite honestly for what the Chad was asking - you are giving kinda terrible advice  :ph34r: As soon as the km's start racking up past 50 or so and there is lots of climbing you are gonna start swearing at yourself for fitting heavy casings.

95% (very scientific stat there) of people will be fine and are on Exo casings, especially on downcountry/marathon/trail bikes....

And I know you said YOU won't fit Exo casing on your bike - but Chad wasn't asking about your bike.

Sorry if it comes across as douchy right now - might be the severe lack of sleep since Friday speaking.

Oh, and thanks - 24hr was tough - the heat between 12 and 3PM on Sat, and then 10 and 12:30 on Sunday absolutely killed me. And the amount of climbing in that little loop was brutal!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I get where you're coming from - and I sorta agree when we're talking trail bikes and Table Mountain - but quite honestly for what the Chad was asking - you are giving kinda terrible advice  :ph34r: As soon as the km's start racking up past 50 or so and there is lots of climbing you are gonna start swearing at yourself for fitting heavy casings.

95% (very scientific stat there) of people will be fine and are on Exo casings, especially on downcountry/marathon/trail bikes....

And I know you said YOU won't fit Exo casing on your bike - but Chad wasn't asking about your bike.

Sorry if it comes across as douchy right now - might be the severe lack of sleep since Friday speaking.

Oh, and thanks - 24hr was tough - the heat between 12 and 3PM on Sat, and then 10 and 12:30 on Sunday absolutely killed me. And the amount of climbing in that little loop was brutal!

Maybe the Captain would be better off giving advice on his type of riding. I honestly dont think he has ever ridden 50km on a MTB. A glance at his STRAVA shows 4000km logged in app 9 years. That doesnt inspire confidence in his advice on the longer stuff. But then again that is the Captain, will always have advice on anything.

I get where you're coming from - and I sorta agree when we're talking trail bikes and Table Mountain - but quite honestly for what the Chad was asking - you are giving kinda terrible advice :ph34r: As soon as the km's start racking up past 50 or so and there is lots of climbing you are gonna start swearing at yourself for fitting heavy casings.

Yeah, which is why I said that his stated combo would be absolutely fine. I just injected my personal preferences, too. For that ride, I'm sure I'd also be fine on it, but given my experiences I find 200g to be a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

And no, dude. Nothing douchey about it. What the real douche seems not to understand is that my recommendations are based not only in my personal experiences, but also those of those I ride with, and the articles etc that I read and understand.

But hey. I wouldn't ride that combo (unless they came in proper casings), but it doesn't mean Chad shouldn't.