MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Hi all, 

Somewhat related to the topic but a question regarding best tyre selection for Thaba Trails. My son is racing nationals there over the weekend we have never been there before so any advice is good.

I believe there has been some rain which probably complicates things. But assuming its dried out by Sunday what works best there generally. I have no idea what type of terrain to expect. 

He rides a Trek Procaliber with Kovee Pro wheels. He weighs 48kgs soaking wet.

Shot for the help!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Holmsie said:

Hi all, 

Somewhat related to the topic but a question regarding best tyre selection for Thaba Trails. My son is racing nationals there over the weekend we have never been there before so any advice is good.

I believe there has been some rain which probably complicates things. But assuming its dried out by Sunday what works best there generally. I have no idea what type of terrain to expect. 

Shot for the help!!

Lots of rocks and tech stuff at Thaba, so best to use more durable tyres.  I don't see any rain forecasted for Alberton until the weekend so he should be good on "dry weather" tyres.

To be honest, I'm a poor tech rider so Thaba is not one of my favorite places, but good luck to him ☺️.

Edited by TheoG

33 minutes ago, Holmsie said:

Hi all, 

Shot for the help!!

Don't think you will be getting any mud. As stated already, lots of rocks.

^^^ would make me more nervous. That XCO course is technical. Rode it on Saturday. Please make sure he is familiar with those rocky drops before the event.

44 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Lots of rocks and tech stuff at Thaba, so best to use more durable tyres.  I don't see any rain forecasted for Alberton until the weekend so he should be good on "dry weather" tyres.

To be honest, I'm a poor tech rider so Thaba is not one of my favorite places, but good luck to him ☺️.

Thanks - good to hear that no rain is forecast 👍🏻

14 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Don't think you will be getting any mud. As stated already, lots of rocks.

^^^ would make me more nervous. That XCO course is technical. Rode it on Saturday. Please make sure he is familiar with those rocky drops before the event.

Shot for the feedback. He’ll be practising on the track on Friday - hopefully enough time to familiarise himself. He is riding the short course fortunately. He raced enduro(dirtbike) so hopefully will be ok on the tech but taking nothing for granted.

1 hour ago, Holmsie said:

Hi all, 

Shot for the help!!

I use Recon Race tyres on my dual sus that I ride at Thaba and have no issues with them there, like the guys have said the tech sections are rocky but I find everything else quite hard packed so don't go too aggressive. 

7 minutes ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

I use Recon Race tyres on my dual sus that I ride at Thaba and have no issues with them there, like the guys have said the tech sections are rocky but I find everything else quite hard packed so don't go too aggressive. 

Cool, appreciate the advice👍🏻

• 5 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

I Ride and Ride and I cannot get this IKON Finished (5000 Km has come and gone)

WTF ?

Ikonwontfinish.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of KMs.

Surely it has almost no grip on some uphills?

Still Gripping Nicely and Cornering Nicely as Well

(K@K in Mud but then the IKON is not very good in Mud even when new.)

Edited by dasilvarsa

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

WTF ?

maybe venture off tar for a change ? :whistling:

edit - I had a Spez Eliminator that looked worse than that after 1500km of trail riding. It finally died three weeks ago on Jonkers Red Phoenix.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Bit of a dumb question - How bad will a road ride chow a tyre like a Maxxis DHR? Like just 5KM a week or so.

Obviously the bike is for trails but enjoy riding it around with my kiddo. 

3 minutes ago, Brawler said:

Bit of a dumb question - How bad will a road ride chow a tyre like a Maxxis DHR? Like just 5KM a week or so.

Obviously the bike is for trails but enjoy riding it around with my kiddo. 

that will not be enough to kill a DHR any time soon. If ridden as intended, the trail would do tyre in long before any tar would. Enjoy the rides with your kiddo. I ride with my 5 y.o. as well and that is much more valuable to me than potentially having to replace some rubber every now and then because of it.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:25 PM, Charlie600 said:

This is a brilliant setup, absolutely bullet proof with tons of grips although not the fastest rolling.

Magic Mary at the front (super trail version) with the Big Betty (super gravity version) at the rear - you will love it whilst losing your fear for punctures and sidewall cuts in general, which is great for one's confidence. :)

Whilst I don't expect them to last super long, they still look realtively new after 400km of fairly intense riding.

I learnt last weekend that degreaser removes the yellow very fast

On 5/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, dasilvarsa said:

WTF ?

Ikonwontfinish.jpg

Alot of strait and easy driving I see