MTB Tyre Choices

patches

If this makes your knees shake uncontrollably then, yes, definitely don't fit any DH-rated tyre.

Iron Monkey Mountain Biking Trail - Stellenbosch

if this is what excites you, and makes you want to get out there and ride, then again, definitely dont fit a DH-rated tyre.

Trails – Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

Maybe I'm Stupid but those DHF DHR tyres are Heavy Slow Downhill tyres that Handle Badly.

Some 29ers Weigh more than 1.2 KGs.

Nino and I will not be fitting them to ride trails.

Maybe I'm really clever, but I'll take grip, confidence. puncture protection and not crashing over saving a few grams

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I always liked the DHR on the front

Still want to try it, plenty of people run them front and rear at the ‘duros lol

i think the GOAT also runs this setup when he doesnt have his signature Assegai up front on the DH wc circuit.

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, Mtree said:

Not necessailry more skilled, maybe just some foolishness lol.
I couldn't get over the 'death-gap' initially, bought some property on a good number of trails thanks to this, just a matter of learning the characteristics of the tyre and learning the skills for trail riding (continous learning here)...

My preferred combo is DHF(F)/DHRII(R), super heavy set (120tpi), but works well for most things.
Hopefully the DHF works well on the hardtail, how's the shoulder healing up?

I love dhrII. Im hoping the DHF forces me to learn how to lean the bike more then haha.

Shoulder feels fine..i mean it’s attached still so i guess it works haha, i’ll see this weekend…my first time back on the bike. Funny enough my wrist which initially felt fine is now acting up and in a brace. I turned 40 on the 5th,so I can now blame Old age?…prolly needs some of that q20 @Hairy puts on his brakes for lube.

Think ill ride ‘the mattress’ just in case though. But i’m entered for the enduro again on the 28th so even if I have to do the light…im going. So much fun.

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Maybe I'm Stupid but those DHF DHR tyres are Heavy Slow Downhill tyres that Handle Badly.

Some 29ers Weigh more than 1.2 KGs.

Nino and I will not be fitting them to ride trails.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11-31-12 Minion DHF.png

All I am hearing is that you do not pedal hard enough / have the power to pedal hard enough :P

4 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

but those DHF DHR tyres are Heavy Slow Downhill tyres that Handle Badly.

Now this intrigues me. What about them makes them Handle Badly? Under what conditions is this statement made? 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Now this intrigues me. What about them makes them Handle Badly? Under what conditions is this statement made? 

I have done the Wines to Whales with a set of those tyres fitted :)

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I have done the Wines to Whales with a set of those tyres fitted :)

I mean, yeah sure the more the knobs the less the speed, but unless your name is Matt Beers or Nino Schurter then who cares anyway. More knobblies equals more fun.

Edited by Robbie Stewart
Because unless Nino is Leon Schuster's brother, it's Schurter

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I mean, yeah sure the more the knobs the less the speed, but unless your name is Matt Beers or Nino Schurter then who cares anyway. More knobblies equals more fun.

you just need to be faster than your racing partner .... I was not 😭

Downhill Tyres on Cross Country Bikes I've seen in Western Cape.

Never Seen it in Gauteng.

Maybe this Fashion will come here soon.

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

All I am hearing is that CT riders can pedal harder and stronger than JHB riders 😇

It's only because of the good quality of oxygen down there😜

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

All I am hearing is that CT riders can pedal harder and stronger than JHB riders 😇

The Bike Shops in Gauteng don't even Stock them Downhill Tyres.

According to Strava Gautengers are a Lot Faster than "The Mountain Goats".

Just don't mislead people to do the wrong things and end up with a bike that goes like an "oxwagon".

13 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Just don't mislead people to do the wrong things and end up with a bike that goes like an "oxwagon".

To be fair, building a downhill line requires a mountain. Mine heaps don't count. 

On another technical point, can Gautengers claim to be "mountain biking" in the absence of mountains, or is it simply a case of gravel riding disguised as mountain biking. 

Points to ponder. . .

37 minutes ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

It's only because of the good quality of oxygen down there😜

Sounds to me like you are pondering the benefits of migrating down to CT

35 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Why would someone want an oxwagon...... sorry a Trek