money cant buy you skills

kamikaze

Guys - Im the so called chop having the humour failure. So lets put some things straight and in context shall we ?

1. This was after I was riding for about 3 months. I did not have the skills to tackle what was ahead, having fallen twice already this was the so called last straw. I was told that the ride was easy and well within beginner skills.

2. This is not van Gaalens...its some road around the area which eventually gets to Van Gaalens but its not 'official'

3. The person who posted this - has personal issues with me, hence the post. I know him for years.

4. The bike was not 30 k, It was about half.

5. What the person who posted this does not tell is that after I quit, one of the other riders slipped down a slope and landed in a tree about 4 meter down...that could have been real ugly. OK - read this part again - another newbie fell down a 4 metercliff on the same trial...There is footage about that as well...may as well post that ?

The real question is not why a newbie has a humor failure, but why this person sits ready with a video camera at a suspect piece of track waiting for the newbies to come down.

Thanx for the guys who bothered to cover for me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder how many times slowlady slowly and carefully checked that last riposte to not make it ironic.. ;)

Let's just say it was almost as slow and careful as my riding :)

Guys - Im the so called chop having the humour failure. So lets put some things straight and in context shall we ?

1. This was after I was riding for about 3 months. I did not have the skills to tackle what was ahead, having fallen twice already this was the so called last straw. I was told that the ride was easy and well within beginner skills.

2. This is not van Gaalens...its some road around the area which eventually gets to Van Gaalens but its not 'official'

3. The person who posted this - has personal issues with me, hence the post. I know him for years.

5. What the person who posted this does not tell is that after I quit, one of the other riders slipped down a slope and landed in a tree about 4 meter down...that could have been real ugly. OK - read this part again - another newbie fell down a 4 metercliff on the same trial...There is footage about that as well...may as well post that ?

The real question is not why a newbie has a humor failure, but why this person sits ready with a video camera at a suspect piece of track waiting for the newbies to come down.

Does the OP know that you're a Hubber?

I'm almost certain he does. At least by now...

Well, if he knew before he posted the video then he'd be a total prick for doing it.

Well, if he knew before he posted the video then he'd be a total prick for doing it.

Well, I dunno the dynamic of their relationship, but based on luke's post, I'd say being a prick to him is sorta the OP's thing.

Does the OP know that you're a Hubber?

Ive been riding for a tad over a year now. This video clip is far from current.

Yes of course he does.

You made me laugh, it was a funny clip - do you often throw your toys and tell people your going to vark off?

:lol: made me laugh,,,,

Edited by TheV

I think this might be a good place to leave a few thoughts:

First off, Merry Christmas to you 'oll. :D

Secondly, may I ask why you Robo, did not just get off your bike and hike it down? Not even the pro's can ride everything! And there is no shame in getting off and hiking it down.

I remember taking my wife to Groenkloof when she was still a newbie. In the beginning there were certain obsticles that she could not ride.She got off and walked them. So what? As her confidence grew, she challenged herself and very soon she was able to ride the whole route.

My advice to newbies would be: Don't be to proud to admit that an obsticle is beyound your skill set. Get off and walk it. And if anyone laughs at you, just remember that the only reason they laugh is because they have been there too.

Happy riding!

Sounds like a good story to educate people about the type of "friends" you hang around ride with, or maybe the type you shouldn't.

Edit:

Oh ja, the fact that someone bothered to post that on youtube proves he's a jerk who had something against the "vaarkin" scared rider.

Edited by SwissVan

money cant buy you skills - this guy spent upwards of R30 000 on a 29inch mountainbike, but gave up 5 minutes into the ride at Van Gaalens cheese farm. There were about 10 riders of various skill levels on this ride, and ALL of them were awestruck by how unsportsmanlike this guy acted when things weren't going "HIS way" - his reaction is funny never the less!

in the end i had to chase after him for 5km. after i finally managed to catch him i had to give him a 10minute pep-talk to try and get him to join us again.

http://youtu.be/yQ954GB0l5c

So numbnuts, why didn't you hold his hand down the stretch? A 20 second investment is far better than a 10 minute waste of time?:(

This is the silliest thread. Firstly, the OP says the group of riders was "awestruck" by the rider now known as RoboLuke's behaviour. Does that mean they were in awe of his outburst? "Unsportsmanlike"? Er, it was a ride, not a race. The fact that the OP had to chase him has been dealt with. 'Nuff said about the OP.

Slowlady gets all uppity about how people use keyboards but manages to somehow mangle someone else's metaphor and suggest that the TdF is a mountain bike race.

R30K. Half that. Who cares? Dude had the money to spend. I have sold bike in that price range to newbies. Mostly unwillingly. I have tried to sell them down because I don't want them having buyer's remorse. Most respond by saying they don't want to have to go to the expense of upgrading later. Judging by the return traffic in the shop, there's about a 20 percent drop-out rate. RoboLuke doesn't seem like he'll be one of the 20 percent. Keep riding. Enjoy.

Hey RoboLuke, don't feel embarrassed about that. I have pushed my mtb down numerous drop-offs because I don't want my face printed on a rock or end up with broken bones. I am sure by now you will glide down that same drop-off and not even think about it.

As for the guy that posted the vid, send him on his merry way!! You can ride with better mates than him!!