29er tyres

Spartacus88

I saw a couple lying at Cycle Addiction where the side walls were giving issues - these were brand new tyres and and they couldn't get them to seal. Stan's oozing out the sidewalls like a colander.

I just fitted a set of Saguaro 2.2 and they sealed first time they are a heavy tyre at 750 grams and I put 3 cups of stans in as they are quite a volumous( is that a word)

but compared to a set of spez renegades at 480 grams you cant compare the build there is just about no strength in the sidewall

I havent done the epic but logic dictates that reliabilty is key ]

I hear the guys got hammered on the grape escape not only by the heat but by the thorns ....

I got a set of Saguaro 2.2 at R587 a pop

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

have a new 29er,

On my 26 I used any kind of tyre as a tubeless setup.

Can I do the same with 29er? For example. Can I run a Crossmark tyre as tubeless even if its not UST?

another example: race king UST and race king not UST: will both work on my tubeless wheels?

Werner

Hi guys,

have a new 29er,

Can I do the same with 29er? For example. Can I run a Crossmark tyre as tubeless even if its not UST?

another example: race king UST and race king not UST: will both work on my tubeless wheels?

Werner

I have done it, but like on a 26er, some work better than others

Hi guys,

have a new 29er,

Werner

Werner - the principle is the same as 26" wheels - some tyre/rim combos work - others dont.

I run Conti Race Kings non UST and they work just fine. Actually - I don't think Conti make a UST 29er Race King...

Werner - the principle is the same as 26" wheels - some tyre/rim combos work - others dont.

I run Conti Race Kings non UST and they work just fine. Actually - I don't think Conti make a UST 29er Race King...

Eldron have you had any sidewall cuts? I got a set of these the other day and will put them on when my XR1's are history, but the sidewalls seem very thin.

Got Crest rims.

any tyre suggestions?

has anyone run the wolverine?

I loved this tyre on my 26

Got Crest rims.

any tyre suggestions?

has anyone run the wolverine?

I loved this tyre on my 26

Apologies for the Hijack Werner. Congrats on your new ride. What did you get?

Hi guys,

have a new 29er,

Werner

Dude, 29er's are imo better than 26ers', but that's about it. Use the same tyre combo's, the same lube, drink the same energy drink, wear the same kit, etc. as you would have done with any other bike with smaller wheels! They are not from another planet, just better!

buying SANTA CRUZ tall boy from my epic partner.

he'sbuying new Tall boy.

I am kinda tall almost 1.9m

so bigger 29 does make sense especially since doing epic 2012 and allot of marathons.

thanks for asking

buying SANTA CRUZ tall boy from my epic partner.

he'sbuying new Tall boy.

I am kinda tall almost 1.9m

so bigger 29 does make sense especially since doing epic 2012 and allot of marathons.

thanks for asking

Wow, I so dislike you right now.... Awesome ride, maybe one day I'll go for an Alu Tallboy..

Hi guys,

have a new 29er,

Werner

I reckon you can use whatever combination you like but when it comes to races like the epic make sure you have a proven tyre like the geax saguaro whch is quite heavy at about 750g but tough as nails

the weight saving isnt worth the long walk

I have tried the crossmarks(620g) front and back which was fine then went onto Saguaro(nice high volume tyre) front and back also good and lastly is the fastrak (630g) which I like because they roll so nicely I weigh 100kg and able to run 1.7 bar upfront and 1.8-1.9 at the back tend to run a bit harder in the winter as I find the tracks are more hard pack so easier on the climbs

I have some fastraks for you - they are 2bliss and light as a non ust at 600g

how much and are they new 29er?

how much and are they new 29er?

Also how do you rate the Captain Control / Fast track combo?

I reckon you can use whatever combination you like but when it comes to races like the epic make sure you have a proven tyre like the geax saguaro whch is quite heavy at about 750g but tough as nails

the weight saving isnt worth the long walk

I have tried the crossmarks(620g) front and back which was fine then went onto Saguaro(nice high volume tyre) front and back also good and lastly is the fastrak (630g) which I like because they roll so nicely I weigh 100kg and able to run 1.7 bar upfront and 1.8-1.9 at the back tend to run a bit harder in the winter as I find the tracks are more hard pack so easier on the climbs

Just put Race King non UST on my 29r with a ghetto tjoopless, no problems! Like others have said for something like Epic, get the right thing :)

I dont think so either. I use (non UST) mountain king front and race king rear and its great for me. No issues yet after 10mnths (touch wood) :)