29er tyres

Spartacus88

It's OK Eldron I did go and find out how much 1.9bar is in PSI :angry: ;)

My bad! 1 bar is 14.7 psi.

C'mon man - your pump should have both :)

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't make me any faster :(

Yip, its not about the bike.....but at least we can make ourselves look fast :P

Edited by eyecandy

:lol: ill b sliding on my @ss in no time!

So will the race kings make me faster ? :P

They will indeed - they roll way faster than mtn kings!

Now the drifting thing sounds a bit "ekke is te kool vir skool" but I found tyres with really good grip made me crash more. I find the more grip a tyre offers the more binary it becomes in that it offers great grip to a point then nothing. Once you cross the limit by 0.5% you crash. The race kings offer less ultimate grip but give you a much better warning when you are approaching the limits.

I like warnings. I don't like crashing :D

I don't take my pomp to work tjop ;)

My double bad.

In other interesting news 1 Barley Corn = 1.6256 Kabiets.

Mwaaahahahahaha. I love Conversion Apps for the BlackBerry :D

I did Epic in 2010 - no 29er UST available, but used Mtn / Road King combo - bought 2.2 mtn king, but looked too small, so fitted 2.4 - no problems.

then for Desert Dash, changed the front to Road king (2.2) and got a sidewall 10 km into the race....had to fit a tube

for Joburg to sea fitted the Mtn 2.2 back on the front, to improve clearance if there was mud - no problems

All tubeless, no problems. Had no problems with the rear Road King yet - still the same one for all three races including training (ok, not that much training)

There are more options now, so would look around. Most of those of us who run the conti's have been on 29ers for a while and probably not tested all the newer options (I suppose if you are happy, then you do not change)

I run Hutchinson Pythons on my lefty Scandal at 1.8 bar (both tubeless). On my SS I have a Kenda Nevegal up front and some WTB on the back but these I run with tubes in.

Mine came standard with 2.25 racing ralphs, have not gone the clueless tubeless route so i have them pumped to 2.5 - 3 bar and at 13.25kg i found the bike light so added slime and tyre liners for extra weight. On gravel,pavement the bike handles well but I have no idea how it rides on real rocky surfaces yet.

Mine came standard with 2.25 racing ralphs, have not gone the clueless tubeless route so i have them pumped to 2.5 - 3 bar and at 13.25kg i found the bike light so added slime and tyre liners for extra weight. On gravel,pavement the bike handles well but I have no idea how it rides on real rocky surfaces yet.

Has anybody else tried Racing Ralphs. From what I've read it's preferred as a rear tyre with something more aggressive on the front?

You disappoint me dude :angry: - no Stans Yes Tjoops :unsure:

You disappoint me dude :angry: - no Stans Yes Tjoops :unsure:

The rims are Stans :unsure: Does that count ?

Been a while since Oliver made an appearance :D

post-7-0-79153600-1311672502.gif

Edited by scotty

• 2 months later...

I have been running 26" light-weight Maxxis tubes with Scwalbe Racing Ralph tyres on my 29er. Now I am considering going tubeless, but I need even faster tyres. Yes I feel I can sacrifice some more grip. Its amazing how a 29" wheel can turn a xc race tyre into a semi-agressive medium grip tyre. I`m thinking Maxxis Aspen on the back or front and back, but there is no Exo version so I`m worried about going tubeless with Aspens, anyone tried this? Any other super-fast light tyres besides Aspens that can work good tubeless? I know about Stans Ravens but seems impossible to get hold of. The tyre should be:

- Super low weight and rolling resistance

- Durable in the rear

- Possible to get hold of (where can I get hold of the tyres?)

- Can go tubeless nicely

If I can not aquire this tyre I will be forced to go Aspen with tubes and then the mtb gods will frown down upon me.

Specialized Renegade 2bliss

Anyone with experience with the Renegades? They don`t seem to have much volume - 1.9 or something, and I am worried about them wearing fast on the rear...

Anyone with experience with the Renegades? They don`t seem to have much volume - 1.9 or something, and I am worried about them wearing fast on the rear...

I had the Renegade 26x2.1" on the back of my Shova last summer and they are actually rather impressive in the dry and roll like thunder ...

The new Renegades have a little more tread on them than the last generation, but good luck getting a 2.1" version.

Try Williams Bike Shop for the Crows as I recall he has them on his HighBall.

H

Also give the Maxxis Ikon EXO's a try. Great reviews on the net. 29x2.2 with the EXO casing - 575g. But the only snag.... NO bloody stock in the whole of SA!

I don't see the point of giving an importer sole distribution rights for a product.....and then they are out of stock for the majority of the year! Sorry for the rant.....but the SA cycling importers should catch a wake up!

So let's wait.... I'm waiting for stock. Let's try and do the "proudly SA thing"....and buy local. Christmas is also coming....

Edited by Morwa